Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker Season 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Took me three goes just to figure out WWTBAM! Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Sorry! It's just so much typing when using my phone with its horribly tiny keypad. Anyway, chap rather sensibly took the cash, didn't have a scooby.

Yeah if you don’t follow snooker you wouldn’t have a hope.

I’d have done what yer man on half a mil did. Phone a friend and say I don’t need your help I’m about to win a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Gawd I had to look up The Ace in The Pack, no wonder though, hardly catchy.

Dangerous enough question in that anyone with a very basic bit snooker knowledge would know "Rocket" Ronnie and might be tempted to take the risk and blow it. For half a mill, would take some stones though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Whats the story with the Irish Masters in Goffs in March? Looks all standing?!

First event of the inaugural Q Tour getting underway today in Brighton. Apart from Ronan Whyte and the indefatigable Dessie Sheehan, 72 years young, there's not a lot of Irish involvement. Thought Ross Bulman would be a contender but he's not entered for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Indefatigable is a great word. Needed to Google it but delighted by it.

Will it be televised on Eurosport or anything? I never feel like I know the names of the players coming through q school*. Would be great to be able to keep an eye on it.

*assuming this is q school and not a snooker tournament for Qanon enthusiasts.

Dessie is a legend, just loves the game and the buzz of competing. Long may he last!

Don't see any stream for this yet, but it's Q Tour as distinct from Q School which is held at the end of the season. It's 4 events (will be a lot more from next season) and a tour card for top ranked at the end with a play off for a second card. Plenty of names in it like James Cahill, Michael Georgiou, Michael White etc who will be among the favourites.

Live updates can be got here for anyone interested:

http://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?template=21&event=1218

Q Tour 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Dessie sounds like he's doing a bit of a Fred Davis there competing at 72. And why not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,342 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

There seems to be a 15 year old child playing in the Scottish open this morning.

Amaan Iqbal born 17/02/06 from Scotland. Losing 3-0 to Noppon Saengkham. Fair play to the gosson

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I wonder how many he has made outside of competition? For all his talk about not being bothered about making 147's in competition now. He seemed to really have enjoyed those two.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

A bit of movement on the rankings. Ronnie is back up to World number 2 and Trump falls to 3.

Lisowski is outside the top 16 by 3 grand, so there will as usual be a bit of a race before the Crucible. Between him, Brecel 16th, McGill 15th and maybe Bingham up in 14th.

Zhao is top 8 now.

On the 1 year list Selby has failed to make the top 16 cut, so World Number 1 and World Champ won't be in Wolverhampton next week for the ITV4 Cazoo Players Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I didn't watch the UK champs last year so didn't see Zhao play much except for the last session of the final.

Looking back on his play via youtube since his German Masters win yesterday, I do think excitement over his potential to be one of the greats, or at least well up there, is warranted.

I still can't get over the look on Trumps face in the GM's when he lost to Zhao 5 - 1. I think that was because he sees that Zhao has something he doesn't have, and that is Zhao's fluidity and temperament. Thump looked shell shocked. Those are things you can't really practice and often makes the difference between people who can play snooker to a high level and those that win. Same like any sport. Not that Trump hasn't won anything, but that Zhao is someone he must be personally concerned about.

Likely not much interest but first womens world championships since 2019 breaks off at Ding academy this morning. No one other than Reanne Evans or Ng On Yee has lifted the trophy since 2004 but think this could be the year of 22 year old Nutcharut Wongharuthai from Thailand who reached the qfs of Q Tour event 3 last week, beating former main tour players Billy Castle and Daniel Wells along the way. I wonder if she's set to take the women's game to the next level and will look forward to seeing her on the main tour later this year.

I saw this nice visualisation graph of snooker breaks. What stood out to me was where Hendry, Higgins. Selby are - those three are basically all rounders. Higgins obviously the best all rounded player. But taking away Higgins - it would have to be Selby and Hendry IMO.

But look at where Willie Thorne is??

Plus I assume they didn't have space for Fergal O'Brien ? 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

Jimmy White was on Tommy Tiernan last night and said he is aiming to win the World Championship in 3 years. Dont see it happening myself but best of luck to him.

Great interview with him though. But yeah he's not winning the worlds!

• Advertisement

By miles it seems way out on his own judging by that graph. Obviously 1000 plus centuries might have skewed it a touch!

So Nutcharut "Mink" Wongharuthai wins the women's world championships and earns herself a 2 year card on the main tour. First real glimpse of her and doubt she was at her best, had a struggle to win 6-5. But a spectacular long potter, as good as a lot of top 16 guys I've seen, so if can improve her all round game, can definitely see her win a few matches next season.

Also at the ding academy, tomorrow sees the start of the WSF amateur championships with the juniors first up. Aaron Smith of crossguns and Leone Crowley of Cork in the field and there's a main tour card on offer for the winner. It's Leones first outing on the international stage and will be interested to see how he fares. Has been spending a lot of quality time in England, practising in Sheffield and playing pro ams, so he's getting a good education. Hopefully can negotiate the group stages anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Imagine the excitement if he did reach the final again.

Hes currently ranked 114th in the world. Qualifying would be a huge achievement.

2 out of 3 wins for Leone Crowley at the WSF junior championships so that will be safely into the knock out stages which would have been a good target for him. Hopefully avoids the big guns and gets a chance to go another round or two. Great experience for him and can only improve.

Unfortunately Leone bumped into a decent English kid so his race is run for this week but he's in the senior event next week so good to be getting these games. It's all ahead of him.

There's a Welsh kid called Liam Davies, just 15, made tournament high break of 134 yesterday and is knocking in 60, 70 breaks for fun. Very exciting prospect and think we'll be hearing a lot about him in not too distant future.

No trip to Wales for Aaron this season as loses his qualifier to Chris Wakelin 0-4. No way to sugar coat it really, just a straight up sub par performance this morning. Back on the table to face young chinese player Fan Zhengyi in the European Masters last 64 on Monday. So quick chance to make amends, but Fan reached qfs of German Masters recently so not an easy task at all. Hopefully can show some improvement on this morning at least.

• Advertisement

The ceiling's about to fall in, flaming heck😜

31-year-old On Yee is competing as a wildcard on the main tour alongside Reanne Evans, who is the only other woman to enjoy competitive wins over a male player with Eurosport pundit Evans defeating Thepchaiya Un-Nooh at the 2013 Wuxi Classic and Robin Hull in a World Championship qualifier five years ago.

Advertisement