Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mindstorm ev3 - getting the bonus sets to work

Options
  • 19-07-2021 8:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭

I picked up a mindstorm ev3 for a reasonable price last month and we did some of the track3r models and challenges last week and that went brilliantly. The new ipad app works great and even a 9 year old can figure it out.

We (as in my son without asking) then started into the whack3m model which is like a fairground whack a mole game, with building instructions on the lego site BUT as its a user created bonus model, the program for it is not on the new app. Its is downloadable from gitlab and its just a relatively simple java program.

The old windows software supposedly handled uploading and running the program but it is no longer suported and doesnt install on my windows 10 machine.

At this stage I'm half thinking of converting/ rewriting the jave code in python and just running it that way, but I'll try plain java first.

I'm fairly sure all I need to get it running is to get the java OS for the mindstorms brick on a microsd card, which then boots the brick in java mode, and then lash the (compiled) whack3m program onto it, but I'm just wondering if anyone here has experience in that or tips on what to watch out for ?

Post edited by munchkin_utd on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Just in case anyone has the same problem, this is the whack3m model that I had built

It seems like it used to function with the old version of the built in PC software for the eV 3, but its no longer supported and wont install on Windows 10

Anyhow the solution was to run it under java, booting from an SD card. Most of the installation instructions for getting java running on the ev3 brick are here:

https://sourceforge.net/p/lejos/wiki/Home/

Connecting the PC to the brick by bluetooth needs you to pair the computer with the brick (pass is 1234) same as if youre adding headphones BUT then under adapter settings you click on "Bluetooth Network Connection" which connects it as a "Personal Area Network", and critically if you dont see the ev3 brick there to select, you need to click the little refresh icon and if the brick is paired and in range then it'll be there to connect to.

The java program code along with some tests was in gitlab that I just downloaded as a zip as well as a project it depends on, both are eclipse projects which just needed to be configured properly and compiled, and using the lejos plugin you can right click on the test or actual program and theres a context function for "run as lejos"

All in all.... far more messing than I expected BUT I now am set up to create custom programs for the ev3 brick in Java in the future.

Advertisement