Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Disc or Drum Mower Suggestions

• 19-07-2021 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭

Can someone please advise to whether to get a disc or drum mower for topping on bumpy ground and flat ground, the odd bit of silage cutting too. My budget is €500-€1000. What is the best make to get? Thanks.

Drum mower-PZ, Deutz Fahr M22,SIP, JF

Disc mower-Lely, Kuhn, Vicon, Marangon

Post edited by farmer2018 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Any thoughts here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

For your budget you should forget about which brand is better than another ( fine if buying new ) and see has a machine been maintained well or not. I'd prefer a good " cheaper " brand than an abused " premium" brand. You'll probably get a newer drum mower at that money but I think disc mower is more versatile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

If you could go to 2k it would get you a Kuhn gmd model that won’t lose any money and you’ll never wear it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Who2

Realistically I can’t see you getting a decent drum mower for 1k or a disc mower for 2k. They are a hard machine to buy right at the best of times, most times you’ll be buying someone else’s trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Most those PZs are at least 30 years old at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Yea, 1200 on average will buy a decent 2nd hand 5 ft 6 ztr rotary.

There is plenty of drum mowers on Done deal for €500-€1000 but a lot probably need work.

Or maybe I am better off just buying a topper?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

The 5' 6 drum mowers are all basically the same. When pz stopped manufacturing them Zetor bought the tooling, made a few minor changes but are the same mower.

The quality and workmanship may not be as good so you need to be careful and inspect them for issues like belt pulies out of line. But in general you should get a good second hand one for 1k

Advertisement