Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to retrofit a duct for Fibre?

Options
  • 19-07-2021 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

I'm doing some work soon laying a patio and some garden landscaping. There's an eir manhole on the path just outside my property and I was planning on laying some 2-inch ESB duct from there to my house while these works are being carried out. Have spoken to Eir engineer before and he says provided I leave a coil of extra duct at the end of my property then it should be possible to tunnel it into the duct in the future.

My question is that all of the information I've found so far for Fibre ducting has been for new builds where they can put a hockey stick up through the wall cavity and incorporate an ETU box into the outer leaf. This obviously gives a nice tidy finish.

My house is a block cavity wall build with pumped insulation and is already plastered and painted. I'm wondering what are my options here? I guess I could surface mount a box and run the duct up into it in front of the wall but that would look very ugly IMO. The Eir Fibre documentation recommends that the duct remains at a minimum of 2 inches all the way to the box but I'm wondering would it be possible to transition to a narrower (maybe more flexible tube) for the in-cavity bit and that way I could cut out the box slot and then push this flex duct down through the cavity from there below ground level and cut another slot to fish it out at the bottom and join the ducts. I'll have a lot of installation beads to contend with but I think it would be a tidier finish.

Interested to hear if anyone sees issues with this or has any better suggestions.

Thanks

Answers

Here are the specs from OpenEir

I had to truncate the link and put spaces into it as I can’t post URLs yet

url .ie / 1vts6

The main thing is that you provide draw rope and make it easy by not having tight bends.

Advertisement