Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

Garda age card is for over 18’s only. How about a Childs leap card. The leap card for a child age 16-18 has a photo on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Prof Karina Butler and Peter McKenna were on Claire Byrne this morning explaining the difference between recommending a vaccine be offered v recommending it be taken/forced.

Unlike the extremists and radicals in this thread she was pretty clear about the extremely low risk in the young and stated unequivocally that its a decision for the parents.

So she must be an anti vaxxer ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,505 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Not sure how you made that connection to ask that question.

How about giving your own views for clarity did you get jabbed and what's your opinion of vaccinating younger age groups?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Equivocal advice: well they don't seem very sure.

Unequivocal advice: stop pushing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

@ grofus2

Hey, didn't I tell you that when you combine 'the vaccine' with a five day course of Fentimans Curiosity Cola, it will disable the magnetic nanoparticles, and THEY won't be able to track you via 5G???

Meanwhile, in the real world:

Antivaxers in the UK want to gather the names of medical professionals, so they can be executed. No joke.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/26/met-police-investigate-anti-vaxxer-as-speech-sparks-fears-for-safety-of-medics

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

That started out like George Hook and ended like Alex Jones. It's been hard on us all but we need to stay tethered to reality.

Why thanks for asking, I'm double vaccinated with Moderna for some time now.

What I don't agree with is coercion and attempts to force vaccination on children that frankly do not need it, to satisfy the endless selfishness of the cowardly, for spurious reasoning such as 'eliminating any chance of mutation' (doesn't stand up, especially with US CDC now suggesting the level of virus in infected vaccinated people is "indistinguishable” from the level of virus in unvaccinated people) or for fear of imaginary/speculative long term effects in asymptomatic kids that we have no evidence even exist yet.

If your kids are immuno compromised go for it or for any reason you want then go for it, but denying the right to education to others (where this is going in the end) is unjustified imo.

The pontificating from people in this thread looking down their noses is pathetic, throwing out terms like anti vaxxer, even wishing covid on people. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Where have you seen about denying the right to education? The Government have said that being vaccinated won't be necessary to attend schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

1. Grofus is threadbanned and shouldn't be posting here;
    2. Last Saturday's anti-vaxxer protest in Dublin had exactly the same!

I would like to see kids vaccinated because the expert medics are clear that the benefits outweigh the risks; because although most kids won't be seriously affected by COVID, some will be; to stop onward transmission to more vulnerable people; to stop COVID becoming endemic; to stop further variants emerging.

Everyone in my house is vaccinated; everyone I work closely with is either vaccinated or has had the first of two jabs.

How the **** does that make me "cowardly"?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It what you posted is tosh. This is the type of crap half truths( actually maybe you could call them downright lies) that put people health at danger.

The winter flu causes people to die but if other illnesses. Because it around 100 years we do not record it as a complicating factor.

No vaccine ( and it has been posted thousands of times but thick and ignorant people still refuse to accept this fact) whether for MMR, polio or any other disease will give immunity to 100% of it recipients.

At present this is a disease of the unvaccinated. The people who are getting really sick are those that have not been vaccinated. But because these are younger adults and children we do not have high hospitalisation and death occuring.

If you choose not to be vaccinated then I hat is you choice. But limits to personnel freedom are not wrong. If you drive a car you need a licence. If you drive recklessly that license can be taken off you.

We limited the personnel freedom of smokers to when and where they could smoke because it endangered other people's health.

If you choose not to be vaccinated why should you be allowed to endanger the health if others. The government has decided not to put the right to education behind the right to health. Other countries do with insistence that children be vaccinated with MMR and against TB and polio because there is a percentage that can never take a vaccine and herd immunity protects them. If we ever get a high rate of non vaccination we may go down that road.

I suppose that mass burials in NY and the army in Italy shipping bodies to be cremated were all propaganda video's.

Go see a doctor about you delusions

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭riveratom

"If you choose to not to be vaccinated why should you be allowed to endanger the health of others?"

Ehh, if you are vaccinated then you have virtually nothing to worry about, right? Making an equivalence between driving recklessly and choosing not to take a brand new vaccine with vastly

undereported effects is ridiculous and just shows how people are not thinking critically right now. And disparaging people for expressions concerns and actually thinking critically about what's happening is also something we need to stop doing.

More here: https://www.c19vaxreactions.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

absolute nonsense ... .adverse effects have a heavily regulated and transparent mechanisms and processes for a long time.

Because there is a cohort of people who when vaccinated ( again already posted many time but thick people chose to ignore this information)that the vaccine will not protect phizer/ mod are about 90% and AZ about 80% effective in providing antibodies to the population. As well there is a small cohort that cannot take the vaccine due to health issue. These people depend on the immunity in the population around them to protect them.

The problem with social media any plonker can design a website and make it look official as well as giving it a professional medical appearance and disseminate any disinformation it want from that site.

Serious side effects are millions of times less like than catching the disease and serious complications are tens thousands of times more likely than a serious side effect.

As well any side effects are now well enough established and people are informed as to what to look out for and to contact there doctor in such a scenario.

Slava Ukrainii

Not sure I understand your sentence but my main point is that claiming that people not taking a vaccine is like driving recklessly is ludicrous.

I was talking about your claim that adverse events are underreported which you followed up with a fearmongering weblink

So you hear about them in the media on a regular basis then? Or when you do a Google search?

"most kids won't be seriously affected by COVID, some will be;" - then clearly those kids should get the vaccine. That's their or their parents choice, no one is stopping them. Seems like a good idea to me.

"to stop onward transmission to more vulnerable people;" - Vaccines apparently do lower transmission by lowering the amount of time symptoms occur (coughing, sneezing etc) but kids are by and large asymptomatic and the data shows us this conclusively. Lower symptoms (the only way these vaccines reduce transmission) does not really apply to children.

"to stop COVID becoming endemic; to stop further variants emerging" - vaccinating children won't stop this for the same reason, transmission occurs amongst the vaccinated = mutations and variants naturally remain possible.

"Everyone in my house is vaccinated; everyone I work closely with is either vaccinated or has had the first of two jabs." - Good for you, get out and enjoy yourself and don't be worrying about other peoples kids.

• Advertisement

Del, your endless nitpicking ignores the basic truth that every vaccinated child decreases the potential for transmission, infection and serious illness.

Do you seriously disagree with that?

Otherwise, the decision to vaccinate is unarguably the parents' (and kids, I guess) but the responsibility to vaccinate is arguable depending on your moral framework.

Someone who also doesn't have a fecking notion about how vaccine rollouts work. Back to the wholly antivax notion of "only vulnerable need be vaccinated"

Educate yourself, with reputable sources, before you spout such misinformed bullcrap, lad

its a regulated industry and as such details are available. Media and 'google' sources and then choose to report and focus on elements of what are available to suit what ever narrative they want

LOL, have a read yourself about how these vaccines work you clown.

Antivax! Far right!

The battle crys of the thick and ignorant, incapable of critical thought.

to stop COVID becoming endemic; to stop further variants emerging" - vaccinating children won't stop this for the same reason, transmission occurs amongst the vaccinated = mutations and variants naturally remain possible.

vaccination greatly reduces this possibility ..... that is why ideally we would have as many of the population vaccinated.

Sure, but there is a risk and reward to be considered in all decisions, some a no-brainer (vulnerable), some reasonable (healthy adults), some worthy of further consideration (such as kids where reward = almost zero, and risk from vaccine side affects are also extremely slim but alas, not a non-zero chance).

I am NOT saying that kids should not be vaccinated. I AM saying that they shouldn't be forced and any parents should always have the right to consider it themselves and weigh these things up.

All this extremism on the issue in the thread is just ludicrous frantic carry-on from people that for the most part I'd wager don't have kids.

• Advertisement

I'm not disagreeing that vaccination reduces the possibility of transmission, I am saying that the reason it reduces transmission is the reduction of symptoms. Children do not, for the most part, have any symptoms. So... ?

"Some [kids] will be [seriously affected] - then clearly those kids should get the vaccine." Right, I'll just get my crystal ball so I can tell one type of kid from the other, shall I? 🙄

Is that how you usually identify medical conditions?

The only "extremist" commenting today (apart from the threadbanned!) is you, calling people extremist, pathetic, and thick. Nobody on the thread is calling for mandatory vaccination, you're one of the few mentioning it at all.

you are skipping around this ... ... mutations occur when the virus can pass around (regardless of symptoms) ... I am saying that high uptake of vaccinations in children will reduce the opportunities for the virus to mutate

• Advertisement

Dude. We know most kids probably won't have serious symptoms from most current variants of COVID; and we also know that some kids will. You're say above grand, get those one vaccines then. How do you know in advance which will be seriously affected and who will have minor symptoms or be asymptomatic? We don't. We can't. Especially if the kid has no underlying conditions.

I'm not skipping around it at all. The virus can always be passed around like you say, whether vaccinated or not (that's my point). The vaccine doesn't stop this happening. It does however reduce it, by way of lessoning the symptoms (not as much coughing, sneezing, sick for a shorter time, etc).

But kids do not suffer those symptoms for the most part, making that a moot point.

Once again we have misinterpretation of data, misinformation and close to downright lies.

While most children are asymptomatic they can still transmit the virus. It seems that those that have symptoms are more likely to have long COVID than some of the older population. COVID is now linked to possible infertility in the younger population where it will persist longterm only time will tell.

While children were very immune to the first varient newer varient's are more infections and children are picking up the disease in higher numbers as well they have higher spreading rates of these newer varient's.

Again you ignore the percentage of the population that fail to pick up immunity from vaccination and those that cannot be vaccinated because of health reason.

As I said

''misinterpretation, misinformation and close to downright lies''

Slava Ukrainii

If your kid has a condition that makes them susceptible to severe symptoms or complications from Covid19, then get them vaccinated.

If you suspect they have some mystery condition that you don't know about that also makes them susceptible to severe symptoms or complications from Covid19, then get them vaccinated.

If you are worried about Covid19 for some reason even though your kid is perfectly healthy, then get them vaccinated.

if you are not worried because kids are generally perfectly fine and asymptomatic when it comes to Covid19, the rest of the house is vaccinated, and feel the vaccine hasn't been around long enough or whatever, or just don't want to see your child with the common side effects, then it should be the parents choice and theirs alone whether or not to go ahead with a vaccination.

That's my opinion on it. No crystal ball is required.

Again you are missing the point - its the mutations that are the issue - which have a better chance of occurring in the unvaccinated.

Saying children are not going to pass it around as they don’t have the coughing and splitting is again nonsense …

"COVID is now linked to possible infertility in the younger population

More bullsh1t/misinformation!

Seriously, wtf?! Do you seriously believe any legitimate medics anywhere are doing fertility tests on children?! No, they're obviously not! So how, then, could there be any possible link between infertility and the vaccine in the younger population?! This sh1te has already been debunked. Can you please stop spreading this crap?

But I'm not saying that, I'm saying that them being vaccinated won't make much difference (if any at all) in regard to transmission, because they usually don't have symptoms to reduce in the first place.

Re-read the post you're responding to. It's not about the vaccine.

😂😂

I think you are confused. It was the poster Bass Reeves said that, in this post (to which I was replying) - https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117677576#Comment_117677576 .

I agree with you. So whos "spreading this crap" and posting misinformation then? Glad we're on the same page.

The virus has the ability to mutate regardless of symptoms … your assertion isn’t correct

• Advertisement

The lads are so desperate to jump on any "misinformation" they're now even calling each other liars.

Bass Reeves - TaurenDruid has refuted your claim 'COVID is now linked to possible infertility in the younger population', he reckons no legitimate medics anywhere are doing fertility tests on children.

I'm not sure if he's an antivaxxer or the far right or what, but I tend to agree with him there. How do you respond?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭grofus2

I was thread banned by a Mod for a misunderstanding. It has been resolved and in fairness I had forgotten it even occurred.

Which is my point. Ergo, the suggestion that giving children a vaccine which reduces transmission by reducing symptoms is flawed.

Mutations possible either way but the reduction of transmission by way of reducing symptoms makes total sense for adults, but somewhat is pointless with children as they are largely asymptomatic.

you are misrepresenting the argument. If the virus is free to circulate in an unvaccinated population it will have opportunities to mutate - including in populations which may or may not have a high proportion of asymptomatic vectors. Vaccinating children will reduce the opportunities the virus will have to mutate regardless of if they show symptoms or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭patnor1011

No, you can leave your crystal ball for more complicated stuff. Thankfully we (supposedly) know already who is the most at risk of having any possible complications when contracting covid. Majority of the people who had it (confirmed by pcr test) had no idea they are positive anyway. As for children that percentage goes even higher.

Either you are failing to understand my responses or intentionally misinterpreting.

There is only so many times I can say the same thing.

The virus is free to circulate in an unvaccinated population - that's true.

It's also free to circulate in a vaccinated population - that's also true, although you are failing to accept it or acknowledge it.

However - transmission in the vaccinated population is reduced, due to lessoned symptoms because of the vaccine. Sneezing, coughing, recovery time, etc.

So again and this the last time I will respond about this. As the vast vast majority of children already do not suffer those symptoms that are lessoned by the vaccine (and thus reducing spread, and lessoning the chance of mutation) this is a moot point.

Again in brief: transmission possible with vaccine, new variants possible with vaccine, transmission reduced by vaccine through reduced symptoms, but as kids don't generally suffer said symptoms in the first place..

After this we will just have to agree to differ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

WOW, this is the first time I’ve started a thread on boards that has taken off and grown legs.

I’m on the fence about vaccinating kids. 

The risk of death to an otherwise healthy child is near zero.

The risk of other complications is not zero but it’s not quantified and I don’t thinks we will get an answer here. This could persuade me to vaccinate mine, I’ll probably talk to our GP first. 

I don’t believe that any parent would vaccinated their child to benefit anybody outside their own family circle. The case for vaccinating kids needs to be made in clear and fair manner, it has to be focused on the benefit to the child/family. I don’t think this government are able to do that but we will see.

One thing I don’t like is that England is looking at making the vaccine mandatory for College, not school yet. 

We can’t make it mandatory for school here the right to education is in the constitution. 

All name calling here isn’t helping I’ve already added two users to my ignore list. They make too much noise for no facts. 

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Head

As far as i can see this pandemic has targeted groups of people from the very start and by the pandemic I mean the mob. Initially it started out as children were super spreaders. Then it moved onto the elderly people need to cocoon mob shouting again. Then it moved onto the unvaccinated adults and now suprise, surprise we are full circle and back to the children again.

It's already been confirmed that vaccines won't be mandatory for schoolchildren. There are no mandatory vaccinations in Ireland, of any type.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭bladespin

I don't see any need to tbh, they told us all along it Covid was very low risk to children, even used that as an argument for opening schools etc, they also tell us the vaccine doesn't stop you spreading the virus (or getting it - I think), and now they're advising vaccinating those who really don't need the vaccine (yet, anyway).

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Advertisement