Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

1303132333436»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Ah, wait, I see you believe the vaccines are magnetic and make us glow in the dark, too. Carry on, so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I don't feel outrage, I feel pity. I'm also of the mind that if someone intentionally and knowingly avoids taking the vaccine when they could, and get sick, they should be held financially liable. The rest of us should not be liable for the folly of others.

Yes, I would vaccinate my children, without hesitation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

My money is on a simple mistake. Funny that it didn't register with him even one bit...

Post edited by lawred2 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

And when someone who has taken the vaccine gets sick, should Pfizer/Moderna pay the hospital bills then... cause their vaccine failed in that instance?

Also, when the EU come knocking at the door from 2023 onwards looking for taxes to pay for the expenses incurred by Covid should those who didn't take the vaccine be exempt from paying into that kitty? Someone who decides not to get vaccinated has not signed up to your fluffy social contract therefore should not have to pay the costs.

You see, everything works both ways really.

The vaccine costs (governments) a few euro per shot. Someone getting sick form COVID costs more; more again if they're hospitalised; more on top of that if they end up on ICU. Someone taking the vaccine is saving the taxpayer money in the long run (either they don't get COVID, or, hopefully, if they do get it, it's less severe). So your "everything works both ways really" doesn't hold up to scrutiny...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Like so many anti vaxers you do not understand how vaccines work. They teach the immune system. Even at that if you read or understood the medical literature in the case of COVID on about 5-12% of recipients of vaccines gives little or no immunity depending on vaccine type. So neither Moderns/Phizer or any other vaccine can cover that.

What they do is reduce the severity and the transmissibility of the disease in the vaccinated. The flu vaccine works exactly the same way. The MMR vaccine is more successful than either the flu or COVID vacvine. It hides the physical markings of these diseases and it appears as a 24-48 hour rise in temperature.

Omicron is a more infectious but less virulent form.of COVID. The disease as it mutates seems to become more infectious but less virulent which is good and bad.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭waxmoth

This study was published 2 days ago based on UK figures for 42 million vaccinations (~38m double dose). https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.12.23.21268276v1.full.pdf

'However, the notable exception was that in younger males receiving a second dose of mRNA-1273 vaccine, the risk of myocarditis was higher following vaccination than infection, with an additional 101 events estimated following a second dose of mRNA-1273 vaccine compared to 7 events following a positive SARS-CoV-2 test.'

These figures are only for myocarditis and not total risk. Our medical and scientific experts are fully aware of the mechanisms of harm.

Somewhat selective quoting, there? First, the study was only on children aged 13 and up. After your quote, they go on to note:

Third, although we were able to include 2,136,189 children aged 13 to 17 years old in this analysis, the number of myocarditis events was too small (n=43 in all periods and n=15 in the 1-28 days post vaccination) in this population and precluded an evaluate of risk. Given our observation that risk is largely confined to males under the age of 40 years further research is needed pooling data from international studies to evaluate further the risks in children. In summary, the risk of hospital admission or death from myocarditis is greater following COVID-19 infection than following vaccination and remains modest following sequential doses of mRNA vaccine including a third booster dose of BNT162b in the overall population. However, the risk of myocarditis following vaccination is consistently higher in younger males, particularly following a second dose of RNA mRNA-1273 vaccine. 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

And like so many authoritarians you think that any differing opinion = antivax. I've my vaccine got as does half my family, the other half too young to get it yet. So take your antivax finger wagging and wag it elsewhere.

The vaccines whilst reduce severity do sweet little in preventing transmission, the tons of cases we're currently seeing is testament to that. Yes, omicron is more spreadable and way less at causing illness, thankfully. Vaxxing kids for this is not necessary in the main.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Your "sweet little" comment is wrong though, SARS-COV2 is highly transmissible, vaccines reduce that transmission significantly (one of the reasons we had R down at 1 for so long), however with a very high R0, significant reduction can still mean high transmission rates (especially with high numbers in the community).

I don't doubt however that you'll keep on spouting this everywhere in your usual angry fashion and calling for us to let it rip ad nauseum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Again incorrect.even thought you say you are vaccinated you thinking and your beliefs are totally anti vaccination. Considering where we were last Christmas to this one proves the vaccines work. We can live with higher rates of the disease in the community. Along with that for those that are vaccinated symptoms are very mild and a short event, 24-48 hour high temp, a slight cough and/or a runny nose. Many are not getting tested with these symptoms or isolating when they have them. More are asymptomatic and have no tell take signs.

The disease in the unvaccinated is still an issue as this is where the main risk of hospitalisation and ICU cases are coming from

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Would vaccinate suggests you have no kids over 5 that can be vaccinated. Is that correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Registrations for 5-12 year olds has opened. Very interesting to see the % that take it up. My prediction now would be < 30%. Omicron being so mild and contagious could be a major factor. Many parents may want to see how that plays out before committing. There is still distrust after the swine flu debacle.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

My 7 year old currently has covid.

Wonder does that mean she won't get a vaccine for now (I am still on the fence about them)

According to HSE website...

If your child has had COVID-19, they can be vaccinated from 4 weeks after they first developed symptoms or from their positive COVID-19 test.

If they had the virus in the last 9 months, they will have some immunity to the virus. But getting the vaccine should reduce the risk of them getting COVID-19 again.

Deciding on COVID-19 vaccination for children - HSE.ie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Interesting that it is 4 weeks for kids, but...3 months is it now, for adults??

Yes its 3 months for an adult. 3 months after a positive test result.

If it were my child I would also be waiting at least 3 months after getting natural immunity.

On balance, I think I agree.Mind you it could be almost that long by the time they get to her anyway.

It really depends on when you register her. If you don't register, she cannot get called.

No point in registering her for 3-4 weeks if she wont be eligible due to having already got covid. It's completely up to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

Why vaccinate a healthy child bonkers.

To stop them being crippled from polio; for prevention of miscarriage caused by rubella in early pregnancy; to severely reduce symptoms of whooping cough and COVID-19, including avoiding hospitalisation; to avoid cervical cancer from HPV; and in severe cases, to avoid death caused by measles, meningitis, COVID-19, etc.

YMMV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭fits

My two are registered one of them being high risk. He’d be hard to treat if he did get a bad dose so he has flu vaccine every year as well. Oxygen masks and nebulisers would be very stressful for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Out of curiosity, how is your child with the covid?

My 2 year old daughter got it when I had it back in May and never showed one symptom, our 6 year old son didn't catch it at the time, so we're currently sitting on the fence regarding the vaccine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think I'd get it for them if they were old enough. Myself, my four-year-old and my two-year-old all got it with the missus somehow avoiding it. I had bad flu-like symptons, the four-year-old had no symptoms at all and the two-year-old ended up in hospital with breathing problems.

She had diarrhoea, and a mild headcold so far.I have heard her taking deep breaths now and then, mainly on the 3rd and 4th days.Generally she is fine, I think she has spells of tiredness where she watches TV for an hour or two, but then goes running outside like a lunatic in the garden for an hour or two so...yeah.She was quite pale on days 4/5 but tomorrow is a week since her first symptoms appear and she appears to be fine.No cough, no temp, no aches and pains etc.Other kids we know who have had it were tired, or spiked a temp for a day or two, or had a cough, maybe a little bit breathless.

It is very hard to know how they will react to it as an illness. I would not write it off as nothing for them, but in general they do seem to weather it better than adults. I would be concerned about my 3 year old getting it as he has given us a couple of frights with breathing - croup, RSV - where we have had to bring him to A&E.But there is nothing I can do for him, as he is under the vaccine age. I am a bit medium about giving it to them I have to admit, and I am scientific in my background so quite open to science.

• Advertisement
Advertisement