Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,789 ✭✭✭cgcsb

There are no 100% effective vaccines for anything virusus are eradicated by vaccination none the less because of their efficacy at reducing circulation until they run out of hosts. leaving the under 18s is offering the virus hundreds of thousands of hosts to mutate in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,789 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Sure, but your chances of getting the virus when vaccinated is greatly reduced and your chances of passing it on are a fraction of that again, that's how vaccines work, it's about the herd, not the individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The vaccines aren't good enough?

The mRNA vaccines are off the charts in terms of efficacy. Literally better than anyone could have hoped. Their effectiveness in stamping out Covid is limited only by the rate at which they go into arms.

The disinformation on these threads is incredible.

If you're waiting for a better vaccine, settle in for the long haul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,471 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Yes. He's 16, not far off 17. We've discussed it with him and he's in agreement to get the vaccine. He's seen both of us get it and plenty of other adults too. He'd love to be able to visit his great-gran properly instead of talking through the window at her. When he's going to get it is another story. I had hoped he'd be near enough done before school reopens but that's not looking likely.

I can understand anyone who feel like they want to wait for more data before vaccinating their children and more reassurances around the safety of the vaccine for kids. I get that.

But not vaccinating at all? IMO, that is not the best decision you can make for your children, sorry. That's anti-vax talk.

Unpopular opinion maybe, but we have a responsibility to the society we live in as well as to our children, when it comes to prevention of the spread of this virus. The bottom line is, if herd immunity isn't reached, we could ALL end up in a much worse situation than has happened already.

I would hate to see vaccination ever become mandatory but it has been done before with the smallpox vaccine, and they eradicated the disease, so I wouldn't rule it out if TPTB saw vaccination hesitancy dragging this whole thing out for another couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Your opinion about what a parent should do is only valid for your children not anyone elses. Only two countries are vaccinating under 16s, every other country is waiting on data, so all of this is moot. COVID is not smallpox and will not be eradicated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭notAMember

Comirnaty vaccine (Pfizer) is approved by the MHRA for children from 12 to 15. The data is available, no countries are waiting "on" data, they are waiting for their local health regulators to get around to reading it.

I love the armchair immunologists with sweeping statements about what is and isn't possible. 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I think we have to set aside all other vaccines, they are old and well tested with lots of historical data.

The COVID vaccines is new, we were told it was well tested and safe, personally I think the makers did the best they could under the circumstances. But then we hear blood clots with AZ, then the EMA say not the case the they were proven wrong but we still have to uses it because of the social need and risk is low and outweighs the risk of covid. Then we have heart problems with Pfizer. The latest is we are now giving vaccines (AZ and J&J) to age groups we said we wouldn't but we need to get the job done, instead of waiting for the safer Pfizer.

The Swine Flu vaccines stick's with me because of how badly the victims have been treated, they received no compensation until one test case was settled out of court because they were going to lose and only because of that not because it was the right thing to to. Had that be handled in fair manner I'd be a lot less hesitant.

Nice selective pickings there. Approved by EMA, not by NIAC, that means unavailable to us or any other EU country whose own body has not approved it. Nor is it in the UK as they are waiting for data, their words. Maybe they too are indulging in sweeping statements.

Pandemrix issues were apparent within 1 to 2 months of inoculation.

No one has as yet pointed to a single vaccine where long term effects are not apparent very quickly post immunisation.

• Advertisement

I agree that at this moment in time, it is moot.

But it will be interesting to take up the discussion again when the vaccines are approved for children, and what excuses parents' will try to use then, for not vaccinating them.

Until then, the discussion really is only going to go around in circles.

One thing about this pandemic, it really has shown that people either don't feel or don't care to be reminded they have a responsibility to the society they live in, as well as to their own nearest and dearest, whether that comes to lockdowns, social distancing, wearing masks - and now vaccinations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

Pfizer have been vaccinating children over 12 in ireland for a few weeks now ... through their staff and family private program.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

"No vaccination? No physical school. Here's a laptop, a 4G dongle, and a URL for your Zoom or MS Teams. Welcome back in when you're vaccinated."

"Why bother?"

1) To help prevent them getting COVID. Kids can and do get it. Most - but not all - get mild symptoms.

2) To reduce their chances of getting Long COVID, now or in the future. And believe me, that's something you don't want.

2) To help prevent them infecting others. Even if they're asymptomatic, they can pass it on to others, including adults. And there will always be people in the community who are more vulnerable than others, for whom the vaccine won't work, or who couldn't take it for genuine medical reasons.

3) To help prevent new vaccine-resistant strains emerging, which requires herd immunity.

4) To build herd immunity.

5) For the same reasons you got them vaccinations for measles, mumps, rubella, polio, and HPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Sobit1964

Another conspiracy theory about to be confirmed? The crypto fascists are becoming less crypto each passing day.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭grofus2

You are wrong, all the current vaccines are on emergency licenced approval.

Dr RW malone, the inventor of mRNA Gene therapy has plenty to say on it

https://mobile.twitter.com/rwmalonemd/status/1417127571179909125

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Yes, this is at least the 3 time you've said that. The issue I have if there is a problem, the kids are left to fend for themselves based on what happened before. I'm willing to take on that risk myself as covid is a risk for me but I can't do that with or to my children.

For the twentieth time. 'Emergency approval' is a USA term. If you live in the USA, I'll concede the point. If not, it's you who is wrong.

Also, do a bit more reading on whether that guy actually invented mRNA vaccines (spoiler alert; he didn't).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭whippet

Pfizer is due to get full approval in the very near future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭francogarbanzo

No.

Not true, viruses mutate in order to survive. Vaccines force it to mutate

Spot on mate. Its the government's deliberate censorship of information that should ring alarm bells

False information according to the very people pushing it, Dr RWMaloneMD invented the technology. Look him up, he has plenty to say

Again, THIS is false information. He did not invent mRNA vaccines. The only person making that claim is the man himself.

Unfortunately, people like this are pushing against an open door at the moment.

He was involved as were a few others in a paper, but it was just a basic principle way back in 1989. He's had some criticism for his claims about the risks of mRNA vaccines.

For me, there no data for the vaccine and virtually zero risk to children from COVID-19

Make your choices, but at best you are taking gamble that pro vaccine community are correct and your kid will be fine

Are you serious with this stuff?

Asymptomatic transmission is a massive issue with Covid.

I genuinely don't know if this is a wind-up. I really hope I'm being suckered in here.

• Advertisement

@grofus2

The conspiracy theory forum is that way >>>>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I'm going to get mine vaccinated.

When we open up entirely covid will circulate freely amongst the unvaccinated. It's likely my children would catch it if they were unvaccinated. While Long Covid is a low risk in children I don't want to put their health at risk, even a small amount.

There is also the wider, more long term question that if we let covid freely circulate amongst the under 12's it may mutate into something that vaccines have less of an effect against. It always plays on my mind that the Spanish flu affected the young way more than the old. I'll be very concerned that covid would mutate into something that had more severe effects on children. I'd like them vaccinated so that they at least have some protection against that possible eventuality.

I realise that there is some unknowns regarding pfizer, AZ etc. While it is clear that there are minimal short term side effects of vaccines on adults and older children, there is a simple fact that the vaccines have not been widely tested on the 0-12 population. That being said, the lack of major side effects amongst the adult population gives me some comfort, and balancing it all up I believe that I am protecting their health by getting them vaccinated. Responsibility to society doesn't really come into it for me.

Eh he didn't, he just worked on a paper, in collaboration with others about an mRNA proposal. Katalin Karikó and Drew Weissman did most of the work on what became the mRNA vaccine, working with both Moderna and BioNTech.

From a factcheck site

Malone reached out to Logically, stating that he did not invent the mRNA vaccines, but instead the "vaccine technology platform." He also presented us with copies of nine patents – none of which showed that he invented the mRNA vaccines. The judgment for the claim has not changed.

Thats a little pedantic. His work clearly assisting the development.

However, he knows way more than me about it and I don't trust a single word from Government. Many other medical experts also have real concerns about the vaccines. So my choice is made

Yet he is happy to take credit for something he did not do. Even a cursory glance of a layperson at what he wrote with two others is a very far cry from what mRNA vaccines do.

• Advertisement

Maybe, but question was should kids be vaccinated or words to that effect. I provided my reasons for saying no.

I dont need your approval and wish you the best

Exactly what they do is still unfolding. Frankly, I hope what I've read is wrong but the reality is no one knows. All you can do is respond to the perceived risk

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Like honestly what is conspiracy theorist about questioning the validity of vaccinating a populace that have little to no chance of getting seriously sick.

Well, if you don't understand immunology, epidemiology and things like herd immunity - nothing! Otherwise...

Like honestly, does it need to be explained yet again what herd immunity is? Like, for real, like? 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,156 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@grofus2 For me, there no data for the vaccine and virtually zero risk to children from COVID-19

There is plenty of data. Have you not looked for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Covid barely effects kids. That's the point. Point 1, 2 and 5 are all moot because kids have almost no chance of having problems with it. UK reckon 2 in a million chance of dying with it and that's including underlying conditions. So, if your child has no underlying conditions, it's pointless for their health.

As for passing it on, that's fair enough. I wonder what percentage of people can't be vaccinated for health reasons? The reason we get measles, mumps etc vaccines is because there's great benefit and it's recommended by the government. This isn't. That's a massive difference. If in the next few months it becomes recommended, fair enough. Until then, I won't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,156 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@Cienciano ...kids have almost no chance of having problems with it. UK reckon 2 in a million chance of dying with it and that's including underlying conditions. So, if your child has no underlying conditions, it's pointless for their health.

So your reasoning that there is no such thing as a non-fatal health problem? LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

When the option is available then I will assess the information available and talk to my GP who is a friend & someone I would trust. Covid is something we will have to accept going forward, even now the vaccines should reduce the impact on the hospital system in terms of length of stay and seriousness of illness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

When I calculate risk to my children's health, I don't really think about the risk of them dying from something. An illness being fatal is such a remote concept in most situations. What I would like to know is how many children who tested positive for covid suffered symptoms more than five or six weeks after their positive test. That's what I would consider a risk to my child's health. The UK government has published statistics that indicate that 13-15% of children who test positive show lingering symptoms five weeks later. That's a hefty chunk. How many of them will be totally recovered in six months?

Also, I'm fairly sure covid vaccines are recommended by all governments.

Herd immunity is best achieved naturally. Sweden is a great example. "Herd immunity will only achieved through vaccine" is yet another government lie

No, this is a lie! How do you think we eliminated or almost eliminated diseases like measles, smallpox, polio? Answer: vaccines! Why is measles re-emerging in some areas? Anti-vaxxers.

Please stop. I know you're getting a laugh out of this but some people might take it seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,320 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Well, the stat is a good one to get an idea of the severity of it. One thing is certain, covid in kids is not something serious to their health. Also, all governments have not recommended children to take it, I don't think any covid vaccines are approved for children yet, but could be wrong.

• Advertisement
Advertisement