Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Time for the lions tour to be knocked on the head....a glorified barbarians tour....

The individual countries have a far better opportunity of winning down in Southern hemisphere on their own...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The wind is causing havoc in the Argentina vs Scotland game. Lineouts going crooked from it and kicks, that would have stayed infield, are going dead on the full instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is some performance from Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Well well well, a NH sweep . That's a pretty significant event. The WC is really shaping up to be a belter. Shame the draw is so lopsided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭A-Train

It really shows up the farce that was carrying the draw out so far out from the tournament.

A good day when it’s a northern hemisphere clean sweep.

I couldn't care who wins outside of Ireland. Whether northern or southern hemisphere teams win is unimportant. I'll be happy if Ireland win.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd say it's never happened before that either all NH teams beat all SH teams on the same day* or that all 3-match tours come down to the decider (not sure if Scotland play Argentina again?)

*Pending USA v Chile

I agree with you. But it’s a reassuring illustration of the strength of the 6N.

Again, I only care about Ireland. I don't care how strong or weak the rest of the 6N are. The litmus test is New Zealand and we beat them. If you beat the All Blacks you have no concerns about anybody else. I know they got a red card early enough but we were on top before it came.

We know France are strong despite their close call against Japan.

I think they are the only two sides that we need concern ourselves with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

This Chile - USA game is mad. Atrocious conditions, a power cut at ~62 minutes with Chile 14-12 up after a sensational try by Fernandez, eventually power is restored (or Chile would be awarded the win ahead of the second leg) and then the ref comms stop working. USA currently 14-15 up with 68 minutes played.

• Advertisement

Some try by the Chilean no. 10, beat 6 US players from inside his own half.

I can't understand the mindset of referees in moments like that not to just take a moment, and double check the situation. I know players always complain and argue they did nothing wrong, but when the instant reaction from the Welsh players is so vociferous surely it at least merits taking 30 seconds to check it upstairs. It's inexcusable in this day and age to get that sort of thing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I have no idea why the focus is on Gardiner here. The TMO checks these in the background. If the game was stopped to check incidents where players complained. It would absolutely ruin it. It’s up to the TMO to spot them. Maybe we have reached a point we need two TMO’s though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Given incidents like that, should the captain get one challenge to a refs decision where it gets deferred to the TMO/ref watches n the big screen? Obviously if it has already been reviewed, they wouldn't be allowed to challenge as that is just going round in circles.

Just having one means a team should only use it at an important moment. I wouldn't give another challenge if the ref was wrong, that could lead to teams challenging rather innocuous things if they are sure they are right, knowing they can still challenge something else later. One chance, use it wisely.

Because Angus Gardner made the decision. He said "It's cynical hands by 19" almost as soon as the incident had occurred, and he issued the yellow almost immediately. He took virtually no time over the situation, felt he'd seen Jones use hands on the deck, and issued the yellow straight away. If he'd taken another 30 seconds to refer it, or give the TMO an opportunity to review, the right decision would have been made.

I don't think anyone is calling for a situation either where every single time players moan about something is referred upstairs, but I'm saying when you're making a decision that momentous, in a tight game, 5m out, making a call to sinbin a player when the score is 9-3, you better be sure you're getting it right.

TMO's slow things up massively when they're trying to see if a ball is buried under a mass of bodies on the ground, it would have take literally one quick replay of this to see the correct outcome.

It was more than just an incident, it was a penalty and a yellow card. Absolutely worth checking.

Yes and that’s the whole point of the TMO. Even after the card was issued. Gardiners attention could have been drawn to it and the decision reversed. In the moment it’s easy for a ref to get that wrong. There’s no excuse for the TMO not to see it and say hold on a minute. I have something to show you. As happened a couple of times yesterday in the Irish game.

They're never going to do that. I've seen incidences where referees say they got something wrong and reverse it, even in the game yesterday Gardner called advantage over and brought it back when Biggar's kick went out on the full, saying he'd ended the advantage too hastily.

But you'll never see a scenario where they reverse a yellow card on a stage like that.

My point was, I thought even in the moment, I can't get over the haste he's made that decision in. I was unsure in real time, and the pleading from Josh Adams and AWJ was way more frenzied than just the typical whining from players.

Gardner is the guy in control, and all he had to do was slow it down for a quick second, and review it, but he was adamant he knew what he'd seen and he made the call. How can that not be on him?

Yeah, sure, criticise the TMO too if you want, but this was on Gardner.

Ho ho - sorry folks:

Egg, may I introduce you to face:

• Advertisement

I don't see that at all, and I think the angle from the other side which is significantly closer to the action shows the ball came off du Toit's left foot, when AWJ's lifts him to clear him from the ruck.

I was in total agreement yesterday that it looked like Gardner had gotten it wrong and absolutely should have checked, but there is nothing else from that image which would have sent the ball in that direction other than Wyn-Jones's hand. Gardner had a much closer view and was certain also.

Here is the clip you're talking about, the far side angle being towards the end: https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/rugby-union/12648941/wales-down-a-man-after-alun-wyn-jones-is-sent-to-the-sin-bin

The foot of the SA in the ruck is still stationary after the ball has moved and the legs of the player on the ground are on the wrong side of the ball. It's trajectory is identical with the movement of Wyn-Jones's hand and the image from the blindside is obscured at the point of contact. I don't think he realised he'd made contact or was intending to - but I'm pretty certain that he did.

Yeah, that's a fair call on that point, I looked to see when the ball moved versus when the foot moved, and it does look like AWJ hits it in the act of scooping Pieter Steph du Toit's leg.

I think you're right too that he didn't realise himself he'd made the contact.

Yes but Gardner was obviously convinced of what he saw in real time. If he had any doubts at all he would have checked but clearly he didn’t. Players whine non stop these days. Just look at Sexton after Barrett’s try yesterday. Gardner believed he saw cynical foul play. Not something that’s beyond the bounds of believability it’s AWJ. It was up to the TMO to draw his attention to it and clearly he didn’t. All he had to say was Angus I want you to take a look at this.

Or maybe that’s ^^^ what the TMO saw when he checked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Perhaps missed with all the action yesterday, but Japan were one dropped ball over the try line away from beating France yesterday.

Very strong performance from the Blossoms, and bodes well for them to kick-on from their 2019 performance.

Looks like Japan as a high-quality opponent is here to stay.

At home, at least. It's about time they got regular tours to Europe and Oceania.

Edit: just saw they play in England and France this Autumn.

• Advertisement

They make more sense in the Rugby Championship than Argentina truth be told. Timezone and travel-wise. Big TV money and sponsorship on offer as well.

Tokyo is definitely closer to them by time zone, but it's not actually much less travel time than the Argentines.

It's around 9,976km from Wellington to Buenos Aires, but it's 9,272km from Wellington to Tokyo.

Don't know if they charter planes for RC teams to Arg (maybe), but there are zero direct flights from Aus, NZ and South Africa to Buenos Aires. Japan is far more connected to Aus and NZ (not really SA) than Argentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Great for Georgia , with Italy making strides , finally , would be nice to bring Georgia in too , even every second year , a 7 or 8 Nations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Bringing any side in every second year for a 7 nations wouldnt help either and we just wont see an increase as sides wont necessarily want to play 6 games in 7 weeks and french/english clubs wont agree to expansion.

They should have a Euros style tournament that runs the same year as the Lions.

I agree, something , the atmosphere would be a welcome addition, Italy are making progress , so something to help smaller nations, and get rugby to grow,

So Namibia through to the World Cup. Again. That final was a difficult watch, Kenya never looked remotely threatening.

would like to have seen Kenya make it - a change, Namibia are in every tournament and not sure if they ever won a game -

Never won one.

Kenya have one last shot, against Portugal in Dubai in November.

The lengths these players have to go to in order to have even a chance at qualifying are incredible. I don't know how they balance all this travel and playing with a full time job

Portugal have a decent team, would expect them to win easily.

Yes they pushed Italy close the other week.

Sidebar: Italy appear to be sh*te again all of a sudden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It's a sort of a weird vibe for Italy right. Most of their players haven't played since May 20th, and they have to remain in shape and in camp from then until three test against Portugal, Georgia and Romania. Hard to be hyped

• Advertisement

Watched the highlights and they looked no better than Portugal, thats the reality, I loved ther win against Wales , but getting a free ticket into 6 Nations not really helping them and certainly not Georgia and the rest. Unless they improve consistently, only a matter of time before thers promotion.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I see vaea fifita is set to make himself available to play for Tonga next year.

They're building quite the squad

It's not a free ticket, they paid their dues. Have a look at Ireland's record prior to 2000, before clamouring for them to be jettisoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Italy didnt get a free ticket into the 6 Nations and yes all the 6 nations and rugby championship sides need to play the rest more often but just removing them and replacing them with a side as bad/not much better isnt the answer. Georgia arent likely to be added to the 6 nations any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Itxa

Irish provincial A teams considering tournament with Cheetahs, Pumas and Griquas.

It will be interesting how they consider which players are eligible both with Leinster full team possibly needing to dig deep into the squad during the season. Can full Leinster players play for them? Also AIL commitments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Great way for the academy / 2nd / 3rd strings to get meaningful game time and challenges. Those would certainly not be easy games by any stretch.

Thats over 20 years ago , the reality is they just about beat Portugal with a last ditch try , and if you read what said I respected ther victory against Wales, and was not Clamouring for them to be jettisoned, but I'm sure Georgia and many others outside the establishment believe they have a free ticket into 6 nations.

• Advertisement

You’d wonder also if it might fracture the squad a bit into two groups where certain players get pigeonholed and less chances for the firsts. Would they bring in a separate coach?

I’m all for the idea the game has to grow beyond the traditional 8/9 powerhouses in the international game and expanding the professional game internationally is the only way to do it

Advertisement