Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Rugby Discussion 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Toulon buying Kolbe from Toulouse apparently

Toulon president confirming Cheslin Kolbe is signing for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Must be some serious money for him to move. From a rugby point of view, I'd rather play for Toulouse than Toulon. More likely to win trophies.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,644 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

great to be back watching some live junior rugby yesterday !! slow steps back to normality.

watched a provincial J2 league cup game, fantastic weather, decent enough standard

pitch about the pitch being quite hard and leading to niggles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Yeah was back at a j1 game yesterday. been to 4 games including my first game as a match official since last october. standard was good especially with people not having played in so long. not much in terms of new laws happening though. thought there may have been a few attempts at 50-22...

• Advertisement

i think the ref in our game made a mistake by demanding a goal line drop out for a missed penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Yeah thats still a 22 but wouldnt be too concerned as theres going to be bit leeway for the moment as everyones just delighted to be back playing as not been on pitch in so long. when leagues start back up in a few weeks the officials mightnt have that though

Josh Ioane released by the highlanders. Feck!!

This follows Ash Dixon being released to join a Japanese side. thats 2 first teamers in critical positions gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

is the law about not being able to opt for a scrum from a penalty in place at age grade games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

yes. well.... RFU and WRU. im not sure if it affects SRU junior rugby.

no mention yet of ireland bringing anything similar.

youths rugby has started back in a lot of places already so it unlikely that there will be any new law variation applied except the global trials

had a bit of a laugh listening to the latest eggchasers podcast today.

they had a quiz which highlights the sham that "official" players profiles are.

the player in question was sam simmonds and what weight was he in kg according to the lions official site. one of the lads guessed 104 kg, the other 97 kgs.

so... the exeter team site says hes 103 kgs..... and the lions site says hes 90 kgs !! just the small difference between 16 stone 2 lbs and 14 stone 2lbs... two stone difference !!!

This could be huge for the former rugby players taking a case against rugby authorities....but even for current players,it's a huge wake up call

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/58369271

Joe Schmidt announcing he will leave the DOR post at World Rugby by the years and to stay in NZ with his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,805 ✭✭✭✭bilston

At first I thought this was a p*** take.

They are trying to compare it to the IPL or The Hundred in Cricket, but the comparison is wrong as those competitions are still 11 a side.

I can't say I'm a fan of this idea to put it midly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Seems like something that nobody will really care about. Cant see clubs being too happy that some players will miss a bit of pre season to play a weird exhibition. I’d have zero interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

What a totally stupid idea, they should be encouraging top players to play less rugby and rest up, rather than another diluted form, for a quick buck.

If people dont likes 15 a side rugby, ther is already 7's, which is grand, already an olympic sport.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I had the same reaction - What an utterly pointless exercise.

What clubs in their right minds would allow their players to head off to play for a different club and coaches for several weeks at the stat of the season? - It's a 3 week playing window with you' have to assume at least that in advance to prepare.

Really can't see it getting off the grounds , certainly can't see Ireland letting any players be involved - If an Irish International went they'd be out for another 4 or 5 games from the domestic season under the player management plans , it's just a total non runner.

The French clubs won't let anyone go either.

If it happens at all it'll be a load of Aussies and Islanders with a few recently retired "faces" at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Jake White, who is a current coach of a team in the URC, being a bought and paid for 'ambassador' of this is interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Philip Browne is to retire as CEO of the IRFU at year's end.

He is 61 and has been in the position 23 years, guiding the national framework from the birthing pangs of professionalism and a fairly dire period for the senior men's team, to the World class structures we see today and that have delivered every possible senior trophy in this hemisphere, except the elusive World Cup.

The game certainly owes a debt to his prudent stewardship and I think the greatest endorsement of his time will be that the job will be very attractive to quality candidates once he departs.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Indeed , it's to his credit that the organisation has been well run both on and off the pitch. He's also managed to do the job successfully for 23 years without any controversies of note that I can recall.

How many CEO's have the SRU,WRU and RFU been through in the same timeframe with varying degrees of financial mistakes and player/staff management issues??

i see waisake naholo has returned to NZ to play with waikato after a very uneventful season at London Irish.

at only 30 he'd still be a valuable selection for a super rugby franchise

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Sarries dont look like the will struggle any bit this season back in topflight.

Beating a very good bristol side and probably on the wrong side of nearly every statistic like territory and possession, but bristol giving away penalties.

Bristol put 13 phases of their best play together on 50 minutes and sarries soaked it up and drove them back.

All while billy B looks a bit off the pace and no summer international players available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mark_way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Without looking at it, I presume that's the "tackle" from the French league that's late on a kicker?

some result this morning in the NZ NPC where northland, bottom of the championship beat Waikato, 2nd in the premiership by 10

• Advertisement

Having seen this I'm suffering from terrible flashbacks from the 1970s.

I remember lining out against Durham Constabulary in the mid 70s when I lived in the UK. Carnage. Utter carnage.

https://twitter.com/Overthehillprop/status/1445296073120038914?s=20

Advertisement