Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundaries and fence maintenance

Options
  • 19-07-2021 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I've been searching online, but I can't find a straight answer (if there's one).

I live in a 3Bed Semi-D, and we've fences on the left, right and at the end of the backyard.

Regarding the fences of the property, left and right, who should maintain or what work can be done?

On the left we've have the "ugly" side of the fence, and to the right we have the "pretty" side of the fence. We want to paint the fences, but at the same time, I want to know, if once I'm finish painting, the neighbour decides to replace the fence, and I would need to start over.

For instance, would I own the "pretty" side of the fence, therefore, I could paint it and maintain it (within the law) and the other fence with the "ugly" side would be my neighbour responsibility and I would just play along with his decision (again within the law), or both neighbours share the same level of responsibility ?

One final question, would it be legal for me to just forget the fence panels, and just build a brick wall/concrete panels (with the same height)) parallel to the wooden fences, all around the property, therefore I could do whatever I wanted and the neighbours could do the same ?

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aufbau

I would stop stressing, first of all.

Just paint the inside of the fences (all) without getting paint onto the neighbour's side, and enjoy.

As for replacement or repair, usually both parties have a say in the boundary fence and would need to agree before work is done and share the cost.

Cross that fence when you need to!

Advertisement