Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2021-22 UEFA Europa League

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,246 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Glad they won !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

Let the rioting begin, it’s going to be epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Atta Borre!

Eintracht Frankfurt are Europa League champions.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Think the best team won that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Lovely! All is right with the world once more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

and frankfurt win it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Tears

Nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Final Result

Rangers FC (SCO) 1 V 1 Eintracht Frankfurt (GER) AET Eintracht Frankfurt (GER) win on pens 5-4 

2021-22 UEFA Europa League Winners

Eintracht Frankfurt (GER)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Rangers fell into a trapp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

You can take the man out of Arsenal....

Terrible peno from Ramsey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

it was the exact same penalty as Ramsey's which they said lacked both the power and the elevation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Gutted 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ramsey's signing turned out to be a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Probably more like 150 minutes on a night like this when you add it up but hard to argue with the rest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Why is the Europa League Final on before the Conference League Final anyway?

Surely it should go in order with Champions League being last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭recyclops

Pray for seville

I am never a fan of fresh players taking penalties in a shootout, they always seem to have a higher rate of missing than normal.

Two things I can't stand, subbing a player on for a penalty, and left footed penalty takers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭tanko

The winning pen was some strike.

When Rangers signed Ramsay you’d think they had signed Mbappe, they don’t think that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

well done Frankfurt , van Bronkhurst has done some job, but couldn't take it if they had triumphed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

nice celebration there from the frankfurt manager with the klinsmann slide

• Advertisement

We will be setting up evacuation corridors and putting the Sevillanos up in hotels by the morning time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Puskas, messi, Maradona, Salah, Giggs, Cruff, di stefano, maldini, Raul, Rivaldo, best

makes sense you don’t like left footed footballers

It was a light hearted comment, you can relax, though I did say left footed penalty takers and not left footed footballers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Three left footed players took 3 pens. How did the fair out. How did the right footed players fair out? If history has thought us anything, left footed players have always been more gifted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭giveitholly

In fairness Ramsey hadn't a chance,what with him been an ex Arsenal player....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I thought Rangers actually played quite well. Frankfurt are a very decent team and while I would say they were marginally the better side on the night, Rangers certainly made them work for it. Rangers manager fcuked them over in the end though. What was he thinking bringing Ramsey on for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Rangers losing is nice. Tonight we are all Frankfurters.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

They'll be brandishing their famous oranges in a desperate bid to pacify the marauding hordes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yep, it the keepers foot had blocked that it would have looked every bit as bad as Ramsey’s pen. Sometimes you get away with them. Remember Cascarino in Italia 90 ? That almost went horrendously wrong, but he got the break and it went in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I remember Cas catching more of the pitch than he did the ball. Thank fck that Romanian goalie was utter shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Ich bin ein Frankfurter

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Worztron

Well do to Eintracht Frankfurt! :-)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

All is right with the world this morning.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I actually thought it was an enjoyable game. While Frankfurt were the better side, Rangers had by far the best chance apart from the goals (Kent's chance late in ET). People complaining about the quality, well obviously it's not going to be Champions League quality because it's the Europa League. Also, Frankfurt are a team that thrive on counter attacks which Rangers weren't allowing them to do really so both teams cancelled each other out. Also, it was 30 degrees there yesterday.

Didn't hear of any major trouble before or afterwards. The only thing I saw mention of was Frankfurt fans attacking Rangers fans which wouldn't surprise me given they have had form for that this season already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The fact that Rangers fans haven't trashed Seville like they did to Manchester will have annoyed many here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭FluffPiece

There was reports of fighting in Seville, both sets of fans to be fair. There was also apparently fans fighting each other last night in Glasgow.

I'm sure it goes on everywhere with all clubs, but football tries to hide this as much as possible and downplay it. You usually don't hear of it at all.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Frankfurt fans were the ones causing trouble in the semis too after all and should've had their match stopped til it was sorted

There are usually a few isolated fights but the likes of what happened in Wembley for the Euros is rare enough.

Can anyone remember was it Frankfurt went to Arsenal a few years back but no fans were allowed at the stadium. Whoever it was I went unawares to my local German pub in London that night and the unexpectedly packed pub and German crowd had me on edge. It was a very large, bald tattooed sort of evening.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

On the quality issue and champions League. There was a period were the Europa was a much better competition for entertainment as teams seemed to play a lot of attacking football and you'd get great high scoring games.

Since the automatic CL qualification came in, Ive found it a lot cagier.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

When West Ham were playing in Seville, fans in pubs were attacked by Frankfurt fans who were playing Betis in the same city.

In the videos I've seen it appears that an large, organized group of Frankfurt fans with masks and balaclavas descended on a pub hosting Rangers fans. I genuinely do think that some people are disappointed that there wasn't carnage from Rangers fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

OCD since I was keeping the scores from the qualifying round and people may not have watched the game 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

Don't you ever stop citytillidie! Just make sure that your final EPL table has the teams in the order I want!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And when you are typing up the game next Sat night, make sure you have Madrid as winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭_NAGDEFY

The masks were probably a covid measure by the Germans 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Incredible effort by Rangers to be pipped at the post. My friend was at the game and he said conditions were horrendous. Stadium had no water after 30 mins which made it a long night in 30 degree heat. There was a rush at the end of game for fans to get some liquids into them. It wasn’t a great match but Kent should have won the game for Rangers, no question about this. Penalties are a lottery and someone had to miss. Rangers run has given some credibility back to Scottish football after Celtic and other SPL teams performed so poorly in Europe this year. They can be incredibly proud of their efforts, Scotland has won back and automatic CL place on the back of their efforts. As for the Rangers fans, incredible, estimates from the police chief of 100k Rangers fans in the city and they had bulk of support in stadium and not one solitary arrest. In some weird way, some people are almost disappointed with this. I will just never understand this logic. Frankfurt and Rangers have strong traditional fan bases and it was lovely to hear how they got along so well. The way football should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

No trouble was great news and everyone involved should be commended. To be fair though. The game should have been over in normal time. The Germans were far better than the scots all across the field

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Yeah Eintracht created more changes in 90 mins, Rangers had better of extra time. No issue here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Penalties aren’t a lottery tho are they ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement