Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparation

Options
  • 19-07-2021 8:12pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Just curious.

I'm an English teacher . I Spend about two hours a week planning classes.

I correct about 2 - 3 hours a week. I have another subject which is non exam.

I have three English classes.

Two are JC.

Is this a normal amount of work for this subject?

In general how much time preparation do you spend on your subject?

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Perhaps I should delete this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

It’s probably a bad time of year to ask this question!

And I don’t think there is an answer to it either.

My prep work and corrections vary from week to week and depending on the time of year. It has increased on recent years as I’ve had new junior cycle courses introduced in both my subjects too, but I expect that to calm a bit now that I have been through the full 3 year cycle.

it would also vary for me with a higher or ordinary level class. I have more prep to do for ordinary level, but more correcting with higher level.

I have also found since we switched to 1 hour classes my prep work has decreased and I make more use out of a free hour than I did out of 40 minutes.

Do what works for you, try to keep your working hours within 40 hours a week, have your classes as prepared as they can be for state exams, there’s nothing more you can do.

Interesting point About the 40 hour week. I don't think it applies to Teachers. You cant replicate a 40 minute period with lunatics to an office hour. I teach in a DEIS school with all its problems and bullshit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Random sample

What do you mean it doesn’t apply to teachers? Do you think we should be working more?

I try to do my work between 8 and 5, I know some people will be working beyond that, but I don’t think that’s fair on yourself.

• Advertisement

I'm saying you can't compare standing in front of 25 kids to a desk job. Just not the same

Advertisement