Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Traditiones Custodes - restrictions on the traditional Mass

• 19-07-2021 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭

APOSTOLIC LETTER

ISSUED "MOTU PROPRIO"

BY THE SUPREME PONTIFF

FRANCIS

“TRADITIONIS CUSTODES”

ON THE USE OF THE ROMAN LITURGY PRIOR TO THE REFORM OF 1970

Guardians of the tradition, the bishops in communion with the Bishop of Rome constitute the visible principle and foundation of the unity of their particular Churches.[1] Under the guidance of the Holy Spirit, through the proclamation of the Gospel and by means of the celebration of the Eucharist, they govern the particular Churches entrusted to them.[2]

In order to promote the concord and unity of the Church, with paternal solicitude towards those who in any region adhere to liturgical forms antecedent to the reform willed by the Vatican Council II, my Venerable Predecessors, Saint John Paul II and Benedict XVI, granted and regulated the faculty to use the Roman Missal edited by John XXIII in 1962.[3] In this way they intended “to facilitate the ecclesial communion of those Catholics who feel attached to some earlier liturgical forms” and not to others.[4]

SSPX Response:

From Summorum Pontificum to Traditionis Custodes, or From the Reserve to the Zoo

JULY 19, 2021

SOURCE: FSSPX.NEWS

What follows is an article giving initial thoughts prepared by the FSSPX.News team. An official statement will be released from the General House of the Society of Saint Pius X in due course.

On July 16, 2021, Pope Francis issued a motu proprio whose title could be a harbinger of hope: Traditionis custodes, “Guardians of Tradition.” Knowing that he is addressing the bishops, one might begin to dream: might Tradition be recovering its rights within the Church?

https://fsspx.news/en/news-events/news/summorum-pontificum-traditionis-custodes-or-reserve-zoo-67550

https://archive.li/USgqZ

Thoughts

To my mind it is a deeply cruel attack on a small minority of Catholic, somewhere under 1% born of a deep insecurity of some around Francis over the patent failure of the New Order of Mass in the West. It is quite shoddy with 'the Missal antecedent to the reform of 1970' covering everything from the promulgation of the New Order of Mass in 1969, the transitional missal iterations from 1964 to 1968 (which +Lefebvre used for a time in the 1970s, nearly the last to do so) and the 1962 missal which is specifically referenced. Obviously the target is the 1962 missal. It isn't even clear that the Mass of the Ages can be offered in parochial churches, for most dioceses have no other than that. Some, through the decline of recent decades have disused oratories and chapels, but most do not. There is in fact to be a dubia concerning this as it is deeply unclear. Calling the New Ordo the 'unique expression of the lex orandi of the Roman Rite' suggests Francis hopes to eliminate the Mass of the Ages when he can. At least a high portion of bishops are not disrupting their parishes, changing what works needlessly. The SSPX will have many more at their chapels. The Mass of the Ages / TLM is going to be under perpetual threat under Francis.

Post edited by looksee on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,019 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thinkingaboutit - an interesting post and one that, even though I have no horse in the race, I can sympathise with the arguments.

However, just for my own information and because of the new site that we are all still trying to get used to - can you help me differentiate between the different voices in this. Is the section 'Thoughts' at the end your view or part of the SSPX article? It would be interesting (in fact required) to have your thoughts if all that post is quoted material. If it is all quoted material there may be a copyright issue. Please don't take this as 'mod giving out', we have enough to do sorting out the new interface and I genuinely am not sure where the post begins and ends.

Edit - On re-reading I think I can see that the 'thoughts' are yours, all the rest of the second part is a news article. Can you please edit this to one para as it is in breach of copyright. I am not sure about the Pope's statement, I will seek advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Below 'thoughts' in the post above is me. It is as clear as I can make with the current bbs software.

I cannot create a quote from nothing since the update, nor can I colour text.

Respectfully, it is not breach of copyright. These articles intended are intended to evangelise and can be posted in full to any number of places with the social media buttons. If a moderator wants it reduced, I can. Otherwise let the moderators do their job.

Below Fr Pagliarini made a very good point that the New Order of Mass represents a 'humanist mission that the men of the Church have given themselves [which] must necessarily be matched by a liturgy that is equally humanist and emptied of any notion of sacredness.' Far too often do I hear priests who offer the Novus Ordo preach homilies which exhort compliance with naturalistic, humanistic, unspiritual, dubious UN goals rather than prayer and repentance.

Superior General Fr Pagliarini responds:

Letter from the Superior General of the Priestly Society of Saint Pius X, in light of the publication of the motu proprio “Traditionis custodes”

THIS MASS, OUR MASS, MUST REALLY BE FOR US LIKE THE PEARL OF GREAT PRICE IN THE GOSPEL, FOR WHICH WE ARE READY TO RENOUNCE EVERYTHING, FOR WHICH WE ARE READY TO SELL EVERYTHING.

On one side is the Mass of All Times. It is the standard of a Church that defies the world and is certain of victory, for its battle is nothing less that the continuation of the battle that Our Blessed Lord waged to destroy sin and to destroy the kingdom of Satan. It is by the Mass and through the Mass that Our Lord enlists Catholic souls into His ranks, by sharing with them both His Cross and His victory.] From all this follows a fundamentally militant conception of Christian life that is characterised by two elements: a spirit of sacrifice and an unwavering supernatural hope.

On the other side stands the Mass of Paul VI. It is an authentic expression of a Church that wants to live in harmony with the world and that lends an ear to the world’s demands. It represents a Church that, in the final analysis, no longer needs to fight against the world because it no longer has anything to reproach the world. Here is a Church that no longer has anything to teach the world because it listens to the powers of the world. It is a Church that no longer needs the Sacrifice of Our Blessed Lord because, having lost the notion of sin, it no longer has anything for which to atone. Here is a Church that no longer has the mission of restoring the universal kingship of Our Lord Jesus Christ, because it wants to make its contribution to the creation on this earth of a better world that is freer, more egalitarian and more eco-responsible – and all this with purely human means. This humanist mission that the men of the Church have given themselves must necessarily be matched by a liturgy that is equally humanist and emptied of any notion of sacredness.

Menzingen, July 22nd, 2021.

Feast of Saint Mary Magdalen.

Don Davide Pagliarani, Superior General.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,019 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thinkingaboutit, I am (with smacl) a moderator of this forum, but I did not want to do heavy 'mod' because I understand and agree that it is not easy on the new site and we all need to step carefully until we are familiar with it. I also appreciate that I am not (yet) identified as a mod.

There is a way of quoting text, but it does not work for me at the moment, and probably you have the same problem, though some people are able to.

I agree that the Pope's letter is an announcement that is intended to be disseminated, but the second part of your post is quoting a site that considers itself a news/opinion outlet and therefore should be only briefly quoted with a summary from you of the rest and a link to allow people to read it for themselves.

This is partly because of copyright law, which Boards abides by and which in turn I apply. But equally because this is a discussion board and lengthy articles copied in their entirety do not promote a sense of discussion. The articles are a reference. What we want is your opinion, backed up by links. The same would apply to the Pope's letter (leaving aside the copyright issue), your comment, which is the important part as far as Boards is concerned, is lost in the lengthy copied text.

You only have one day to edit your post, and I was giving you the opportunity to amend your own post, but if you run out of time I am able to edit it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Sorry, but mods don't seem identifiable. Anyhow, of the 10k times these articles have been posted, if you want you can chop these down, you can cut after a paragraph, leaving the link so the context and creator of the article is visible. Say with the first, photo, paragraph, link, then photo, paragraph, link for the response. Thanks.

Cardinal Kasper sees no division between Old and New Mass. It might be noted in comparison, Cardinal Marx, of an equally liberal reputation, who unlike this retired curial official, has the cure of actual German souls (Munich and Freising), said he will think about it, and won't be rushed. I cannot find a link, at present. I'll add it.

Advertisement