Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ewe Hogget prices

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

The big problem I'm having this year is my hoggets are every bit as good as the prize winners but I am not feeding hoggets 2 months out from the ewe breeders sale. I give them meal during the hunger months of Jan to mid march but that's all.

I'd be peed off if I brought home expensive hoggets only to follow me around the field for a few days looking for meal. That's my take anyway. I do everything right, footbath, shear on time and very good quality grass but I can't get mine to look like elefants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I don’t get why you say this is a problem KK?

What are you hoping to get for your hog this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,602 ✭✭✭kk.man

The problem is I'm competing with the prize winners exact same sheep as mine 3 months ago. I have averaged 275e but theirs are 300e plus. They are meal fed prior to breeding sales mine are not. Maybe I should feed them up😀

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Re feeding them up.. I always remember I was with my father at a mart one day having got out of school..probably 10 or 11 at the time..

Anyway I was admiring a pen of huge hoggets and said what do you think of them dad..he said they are grand if you want to give london for them and watch them walk around the field for the next month like something with a slow puncture. ..the flesh will melt off them if you dont keep feeding them

Like in most things I think he was right..that's 30 plus years ago now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

What the problem. The extra €25 is probably gone on meal. It’s still probably the same profit for both of ye?

it’s the buyer that’s paid for the meal not the seller??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Some people look at the mart cheque rather than the profit or just want to be seen producing prize winners.

Don't forget the hoggets didn't nip down to the co-op once a week and then give themselves a portion everyday either.

The seller had to do that and while it's probably not a lot of work you wouldn't find the hours clocking up over a month or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Would totally agree with this sentiment….the proper way to buy hoggetts is to buy sheep that are in good shape and healthy looking on day of purchase…..but that they have a bit of room left for a thrive in them as you ‘flush them’ for the ram.

a lot of the overdone prizewinning hoggetts have a very poor return of lambs from first crop as their plane of nutrition is actually decreasing rather than increasing by time they go to ram….and plenty of ‘elephants’ of hoggetts end up dry the first year and sold then for killing the next Spring.

Advertisement