Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Morning Ireland are coming to us laaivee from Tullamore, WHOY I dont know, to drag out this mawkish coverage for as long as possible I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's disgusting, Paul Reynolds on now doing his usual Garda Spokesperson Gig, he's claimed the Gardai, for the "first time" seeking information on the Track suited person of interest (he's still not officially being classified as a suspect,) I'm curious did the Gardai, Gardai not think the images of the new person of interest, circulating after they released images of the bike, not raise questions about this individual, now 4 days later, surely at this stage they've all the info they need 🤔

No doubt RTE will be broadcasting heart breaking images of funeral and coffin later and for the next few days 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Just switched on and straight back off. Wtf. Leave the family alone. Rte an embarishment

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

They should keep the minutes silence for when the murderer claims insanity, is therefore found not guilty by some judge and the guy gets the spend a term in the leafy surrounds of a mental health facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

To be fair to RTÉ (and I’m no defender of their output) it’s every media outlet trying to out-grieve one another.

I tuned into 2 National Sports Shows (Off The Ball and Sunday Sport) on Sunday for a break from the grief and both shows we’re talking about the murder and how all men are evil, rapists and murderers…..on sports shows.

The media have collectively lost the plot on this.

• Advertisement

Yes, have to agree, heard the discussion on off the Ball 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

All these reports from tullamore today from the usual sources and so far I've seen no pictures of what these tracksuit bottoms are supposed to look like just pictures of folks who never knew the poor girl lighting candles or suchlike, for heavens sake I wish the news outlets would leave the family alone (they requested it already) and do what they're supposed to do, they're like a modern version of the keeners trying to whip the populace into an orgy of grief, a false grief which will wash away as soon as it comes, but for the family it will never go... Just this once I wish they'd have some respect and integrity but its a vain hope knowing the protagonists

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭cozar

Aisling's sister appealed to media for privacy, good luck with that.

Wishful thinking I'm afraid, we even got some footage on VMN of a spot of vacuuming of the church carpets and some power washing of the walls of the car park 🙄

I'd not be surprised if these vultures hadn't put in a request for a coffin Cam for today's service 😳

It's a disgusting spectacle and likely to get grimmer by the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

That's the issue here, call me what you wish, but why are the tax payers in this country covering the cost of these facilities or prisons for people from other nations? any other country in the world would deport you back to your own country to be their problem!!

• Advertisement

• I’m guessing here - the resemblance between the wrongfully arrested (as it turned out) man and the latter man of interest is uncanny. The witnesses had picked the former out in an identity line up (I think they do it by video or behind a screen) so the latter would argue legally about the witnesses reliability. So they need it to be more watertight to convict him, and anything that could help place him at the location could be crucial.

• Oh Jaysus, now they are saying the injuries are self-inflicted. 🧐 As I said, this could be a very complicated case.

I didn’t catch her name but a female journalist on the CB show started off her call by saying “as the whole country prepares to watch the funeral of Aisling Murphy today”….ah, what?

I can’t recall an event where the Irish media collectively lost the run of themselves like they have with this.

It would be nice for the family at least if they let the family grieve privately and be left in peace at this time, but that seems too much to ask from the vultures.

The Injuries were always self inflicted Cawlur , the 'Scratches ", superficial Injuries added to the mix over the past few days, d talk of briars, defensive wounds so to speak

I'll be curious to see if the Taoiseach, President, Minister for Justice will continue to be in attendance at every funeral for every murder victim, Male or Female from now on 🤔

Not very likely, I'd wager 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

A good day to for that lad Coveney to slither into the oireachteas committee meeting today, slippery as an eel that lad

• Wonder was he at any of Boris’ parties, although that might be as much Leo’s style.

I'm assuming today's show will essentially be Joe, analysing the entire funeral service and burial 🤔 Mute button on standby

• Registered Users Posts: 10,439 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I'm guessing it will be Damien. Joe and Katie have probably gatecrashed the funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Some schools have had the good sense not to make primary school kids observe the minutes silence anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Mustapha should have locked his flippin' bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,035 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

A good day to bury bad news

It wouldn't of happened in downtown Damascus Joe

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,035 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

I'm surprised joe hasn't Texas Tom lined up for his take on events

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭leath_dub

The feckin' Riordan's!!

Joe on the ball with the topics that are exercising the nation 🙄

It will be great hearing Moose-Taffah (or however Joe is going to pronounce his name) speak clearer and more understandable English than the host.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

It is a self fulfilling cycle. The media creates the noise and drama. The masses consume the noise and drama. They then have to ramp it up to compete with each other because they are on a winner. Caught bits of the the liveline programme (don't listen to it normally) that my mother was glued to. She then has to watch to all the news channels - claire byrne and so on. Same thing again.

Any comment I make about the hysteria that has been created - vested interests and illogical arguments, she does not want to hear.

At the start of the media frenzy she was even going about lighting candles for Ashling. She has never has even considered doing that for any death of an individual person unknown to her who died tragically. I have tried asking her 'why?' As she did not consider lighting candles for the innocent man who was shot in Ballyfermot recently - for example. She had no real answer - all she had was 'this is different'. She could not really explain to me why.

I said on another thread that media manipulation of people such as my elderly mother annoys me. She gets herself worked up is very susceptible to such media output. She seems more fearful now.

I tried to point out to her that such events are very rare. And I told her about what Marie Cassidy said on the Tommy Tiernan show only recently.

If I remember correctly as the conversation progressed Tommy assumed it was normally a woman's body Marie would find. And he asked for the breakdown how much more women are found murdered than men.

@7:02 = 7:40 (direct quote from the show)

TT - "Was it mainly women that you found?"

MC - "Oh Good Lord no!"

MC - "Here in Ireland is only dealing with the suspicious deaths, the homicides. And the majority of those are going to be males. And young men. Young men who go out and end up in a fight. Get hit in the head. Or get stabbed. And you have your gangland shootings, or whatever."

MC: "Females are a very very small proportion of deaths, in those circumstances"

I was thinking even on Crimeline/Crimecall type programmes they give a warning at the end saying how rare it is for a crime like those in the show to be committed against a person/persons. Put in to assure the elderly viewers so they will not be worrying.

I have not heard ONE media outlet try to dampen down the level of fear. They have only succeeded in ramping it up to the max.

All can think is that women who are fearful now (because of this type of media reporting) have far more chance statistically of being in danger driving on the road, in some sort of road accident. Than the out of the ordinary murder that ended the life of Ashling Murphy.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,128 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Honestly I haven’t heard anyone speak about anything BUT The Riordans since Christmas. It’s about time Joe covered this topical issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Very well said.

Can confirm similar scenes in my own parents, rte or virgin on all the time through habit and I would definitely notice negative effects on my mother of the fear mongering and hype. Its one thing when the likes of us critically assess / switch off but a lot of older people especially have been negatively effected by this hype.

• Advertisement

Coincidence caller, coincidence. ;)

Coveney lacks the shall we say “cunning” that Bertie had or Leo has to face down these “mishaps” when they arise. He also has an incredible ability to make things worse when he’s called to account for these things too; witness his interview with Dobbo and second last appearance in front of a Dail Committee when his arrogance got the better of him. It’s an image game when in the dock, and he can’t shed the rich boy on the yacht persona, even if he is from Cork.

He does himself no favours but can’t seem to see it.

Advertisement