Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I have a degree of sympathy for this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

49 words per minute! Woah, slow down there speed lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭shearforce

if every kid born after 1998 put their condition on their CV, there would be no room left to show what their skills are.

This guy to be fair sounds a lot more clued in than many i have worked with over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Instead of them getting the unemployed to do what he's doing now why can't they employ him to do it. Sounds like cheap labour.

• Advertisement

Oh wait. Needs an assistant.

Hmmm that could be the blocker

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Deeec

I do have sympathy for this guy. Just one question how would an employer know he had aspergers? Is he telling them this info?

has she asked him what qualifications or experience he has etc... you know like the actual things which determine you will get a job

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

I don't have Asperger's or any other condition and I cant get a civil service job either... should I ring Katie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Sounds like someone who would be worth the bit of extra effort. Seems to care about what he does, fair balls to him. I've been hiring recently over here and gotten a very broad range in for interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,564 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've wurked with people with the condition over the years, it didn't need to be said to me that they had the condition, I'd give them a touch more slack in coversations but no issues working with them nor the work they did, if anything more analytic than most.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,518 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Simon wants to have a cushty job,not dirtying the hands ,so to speak!!!

I feel its going to be a slow week, Katie doesn't have the ability to speed up a subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Deeec

Thanks - So he needs to stop putting this on his CV. If Simon feels his condition wont affect his ability to do his job than its noone elses business that he has aspergers.

Jaysus will some good Samaritan not ring in and give him a job. So we can move on to something more juicy

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cannonballTaffyOjones

He needs a re do of his CV, if he's mentioning auspergers on the CV it's a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,561 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

is it a condition you could work in a shop, or on a building site ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

OK Katie that's enough of this now. He was given a fair hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

hope someone rings in and gives the bloke a start

• Advertisement

Simon seems to have more of a work ethic than many people I know

Nearly 30 minutes of this now... is she waiting in the hope someone with the same condition will ring in to tell how well they're doing in the work place?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Either that or someone to ring in and offer him a job. He seems a great lad and a credit to his parents but that's enough now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes, but one of the downsides of getting a 'diagnosis' - you label your child and potentially set a framework on their future life.

Years ago, you just had a whole range of people with varying abilities (as you still do) but they were less likely to be labelled and easier to fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,128 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Listening and appreciating this caller and his story a lot.

Remember a few years ago when places such as Superquinn and McDonalds and Bewleys of old would go out of their way to assist or give work experience to or would employ a lot of people with conditions like Simon, people that wouldn't otherwise have found work? My late brother benefitted a lot from the goodwill of old, and everybody was the better for it too. Society may be more aware of things, but at the same time it's often less willing to help them too.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,564 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Elon Musk has Asperger's, I doubt he has it on the CV.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57045770

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭CH3OH

He did get a chance.

Unfortunately, lots of people start jobs and get rejected.

Lots of people apply for jobs and never even get a reply.

That is the reality of trying to get a job.

I missed the beginning of this. Rubbish he was let go from the role so suddenly and without giving him a chance. I wonder though if some of the jobs he is applying for are just not suitable, in the same way as it would be for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

wonky line

• Advertisement

right , enough of this , exchange numbers

Advertisement