Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Would be great if they got the good Dr. Collins on the air tomorrow to air his grievances.

I'd love if an address change from DCC was all I had to worry about instead of an 'orwellian' planning grant for another construction site outside my window.

There was a few , Wow, Wow, Wow"s, I didd"nt know dat and a few Bleches along with the Yeh, Yeh, Yeh's Cawlur. Joe completely out of his depth today , would rather be talking to Aspiring Rambo's but I'm convinced he's been reigned in on dat Topic, so to speak 😏

• Cawlur these things take research. Fair enough, on a cawlur driven show one might get caught out in a knowledge deficit (although Joe constantly finds himself in such a position). Do t ask Tubridy, the boy with the silver spoon, to make any efforts in research, not Farcy.

• Joe really does need that hiatal hernia dealt with. His trouble is far too audible on broadcast. Weight reduction is the best treatment, though. Heavy people are the best suited to the wind ensemble in the orchestra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭notwhoyouthink

where is joe

where he go

I'm just trying to visualise Duffy playing the Trumpet, that would be some racket 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Dr Karl

Most of the fresh food in the German store are Irish. In Aldi Gallaghers supply alot of the bread, Arrabawn and Connaught Gold dairy products. In Lidl the milk is from the UK (NI) depending on the size and type.

Avonmore supply Tesco's own brand butter. Alot of the own brand yogurt in all the supermarkets come from Cork and Wexford. Premium cheese in Dunnes and Aldi also comes from Cork. Own brand milk in Dunnes is from Donegal, Avonmore did supply Tesco with own brand milk but I think they lost the contract and the milk is also sourced from Donegal.

A high percentage of processed foods comes from abroad, in all shops, mainly Netherlands, UK and even meat products from China.

Always amazed me how own brand products, Kerry gold, Avonmore etc actually maintain a market share with their prices . Its very difficult to fault Aldi/Lidl/Tesco on the quality of their branded products.

I had an idea a lot of the Germany supermarkets sourced their dairy produce from NI or UK and Irish Bakeries for bread product's

I'd consider myself picky , particularly with Tea, Butter , Milk and Bread , I've long since moved away from well known Irish branded products , admittedly for price initially but honestly after testing, tasting , I honestly think Aldi in particular have some excellent own brand choices.

One area I won't however change is Cereals , hard to beat Kellogs, the branded alternatives never did it for me , Taste wise 😏

Brennan's Bread is €1.75 in ROI where it is made. But only €1.19 (less than a £) in NI. At least according to the Info last week.

• Advertisement

I see Tesco have a price match with Aldi on their batch loaf @ €1.70 , one slight problem, Aldi is €0.99 fir their brand and its better 😏

A Brennans slice pan in an independent supermarket is priced at €2 and I've seen it at €2.29

I'll have to call Joe tomorrow, its a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Was 1.95 in local Tesco 😡 . Should have squeezed a few and left

Ireland is an outlier in Western Europe regarding own brand products although that changed a bit after 2008.

I only buy own brand porridge now it 2/3 cheaper and Tesco's organic one has been below €1 for years. I find no difference in own brand Weetabix. Kellogg's cornflakes and coke are 2 products the supermarkets have effectively given up trying to copy. Although you should try Tesco cornflakes I find them to be nice. Or stock up at back to school time on Kellogg's esp in Dunnes with the money off voucher.

Aldi Ireland was a brand of Aldi UK but I think that changed after Brexit. In the UK it is known in the industry that Aldi take the best selling brands of a product eg tomato ketchup and basically blend their own out those. So the product appeals to more consumers eg little Tarquin likes X Ketchup but doesn't like Y and Saorse like Y but not X and both like Aldis.

Dunnes tea is Barry's. Dunnes was a Cork company. The tea in their Cafe Sol is currently Bewleys. Some Aldi tea was Robert Roberts. Some Tesco tea seems to be Thompson's from Belfast.

Lyons Tea reduced in weight a few years ago but you still get the same amount of tea bags. Lyons is really just Irish PG Tip. I believe they are both packed by Typhoo Tea in Liverpool who may also supply some tea to Tesco (loose leaf and premium teas).

Do you recall the disaster that was Liptons buying Lyons Tea , if I recall they paid millions, tried to rebrand it and sold it back to the family behind lyons within 2 years for a fraction of what they paid .

Such was my fussyness with Tea (2 bags per cup) , I had Barry's Gold Blend sent to me in various countries I worked in . Bewleys gold blend also very good and I like PG tips but to my surprise, Aldi have a reserve brand and its quite good and only €1.35 for 80 I think 🤔

I think the quality of sliced bread in Ireland is poor even by say UK standards. Lack of competition is one reason why it is expensive. Is it true that there is a connection between Brennans and Johnson Mooney and O'Brien. Pat the Baker also owns Irish Pride. Hovis did try to buy Irish Pride when it was in financial trouble years ago. Kilngmills white loaf is the best of sliced if you can get it. The last time I purchased it was ironically in Dunnes even though it is owned by the same company as Penney's/Primark (ABF).

Last summer I paid €2.80 for Pat the Baker in a corner shop at the time that was the same as 4 Aldi loaves.

• I’ve had some superb beef outside Ireland, that wasn’t sourced in Ireland. T-bone is my favourite, had a superb locally farmed organic one in Serbia, and more recently a delicious one from a local cow in Romania. Albania is a country waiting to get into EU, a lot of the food is organic. I stayed in a hotel in Tirana which got all its produce from its own farm about 14km away. My entire dinner and breakfast was produced on their farm, from the lamb, lemon to go with it, potatoes, bread, honey, jam, the wine from their vineyard, the talk distilled by them. A lot of the Balkan states simply didn’t alter former practices, as they became currently a trend among the type of tourist they want to encourage and who pay, what to them, is a fortune for their product.

• Re bread, I would tend to go for Staffords in SuperValu, it makes good toast.

Sounds delicious 😋, I'm partial to a good T Bone steak. Generally food in America is pretty dreadful, they mash potatoes with skin on , creating a gluppy, soggy mess but that said, their Steaks extraordinary, particularly in high end establishments (The type Joe goes to for his Fricassee of Coddle ) 😁

• Beef hasn’t a great reputation in Amerikay… but tbh I’ve not been to USA more than 3 times. Hawaii is famous for its “grass fed beef” and I did have a couple of really nice stir fried there.

• Advertisement

That Aldi Tea was on promotion before Xmas something like 70 cent a box with a limit of 4 or 6 per person. I have seen cafes and coffee shops buying their coffee, butter and milk etc from the supermarkets sometimes to hide this fact they go to a different location to where they are base. The worst was in Dunnes buying own brand butter using €40.00 off vouchers the max they allowed and the van with the name of the cafe on it outside the front door. And there are people who will happily frequent these cafes but would be very insulted if it was suggested they cut their costs by buying own brand.

• Looking the news now, I can only see disaster ahead as if it weren’t present already. I feel like some Liveline callers, I would personally like to blow Putin’s brains out only my focus is so bad I’d miss the target even at close range. I’m angry enough to want to do it, though.

I was in an airport in Norway when I saw news that somebody I had known well had just taken her own life as the long-term result of having been raped by her father. Immediately I got the notion of returning to Ireland rather than travelling onwards in my connecting flight, getting the bus to where that father lived and…. Well I don’t say it aloud here, but his notice would be in the paper and I would be in prison. Anger can be profound.

I remember reading in the Daily Telegraph (or London Times) more than 20 years ago that the variety of wheat (non GM) had changed and scientists were worried that would cause more intolerance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Great post. I think people would be reqlly interested in this type of information.

I remember Lipton's and it was nice tea. Unilever are trying to sell their tea brands including Lipton's Lyons etc They have a joint venture with Pespi to sell iced tea but no longer sell black tea in UK or Ireland

They also supply bread to Dunnes and Tesco as own brands sold at their barkery counters. Tesco have it on the labels but you will see it at the self check out in Dunnes. Both will usually tell you who their suppliers are if asked

• Registered Users Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Surely Joe should be working overtime in the background on behalf of this friend of the family?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,520 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A nice 6 figure deal for a 1 hour morning show before Virgin Radio sign her up.

At this stage , Putin will just continue the onslaught I reckon, as disgusting as it is. I don't think sanctioning oligarchs or Russia is making the slightest difference , I've no doubt he had this factored in and while all this horrendous and barbaric violence continues, Russia making a fortune on the back of high oil and gas prices.

I came across a video on you tube yesterday from Ukraine, it was an every day JCB type vehicle, just driving by , thought it was an odd video but on closer inspection there was something hanging out of rear arm bucket , it was the body of a dead women 😳, just appalling.

• Advertisement

You've got to laugh , holding out for her own show , her entire career has been in Montrosia, she ticks the main criteria for a career in RTE , Nepotism , This aside from the fact, she is utterly untalented and actually, quite annoying.

Advertisement