Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭notwhoyouthink

Irish Rail referred to the passengers as trespassers....wow

• Registered Users Posts: 26,983 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭dvcireland

The king of spin Barry Kenny of Irish Rail on the virgin media news , I have not seen or heard him in years

"...no Joe, you rang me !..." A.Caller.

• There’ll be some sh1t show as to what precisely came first, de chicken or de egg. I’ve noticed in recent years/months (not been on public transport much tbh) that in general air conditioning appears to have been turned down compared to some years ago, when you’d be greeted by a fresh breeze of cool air when stepping on board the Luas. Economy? Covid related?

I was in the Dart yesterday (Saturday) and it was not a bit crowded either coming or going. I had gone to Bray to enjoy a helicopter trip & enjoy some quieter atmosphere. It was quite cool early in the day, but fairly warm returning. However Dart was comfortable enough, but I imagine with a heaving crowd on board it could be a nightmare.

Trains were initially delayed coming into Bray because they weren’t being turned around quickly enough. I have attended Bray Air Display years back and trains were turned around quite quickly with the help of stewards who ushered people quickly on and off carriages, with fares being waived at peak moments just to speed people through turnstiles.

But this time it seemed trains were turning around very slowly in Bray, no doubt some issues at organisational level as well as probably more people turning up than anticipated. It seemed carriages were packed to the gills. Maybe increased ancillary bus services would have been needed, or one or two special added routes laid on.

A simple snapshot survey to anticipate numbers might have been a good idea. “Have you attended Bray Air Show before?” “How many in your family attended?” “Do you intend to visit this year?” “How many do you anticipate there will be in your family/group?”

When one overcrowded train was delayed for something like 20 minutes between Shankill and Bray, waiting for another train or two to turnaround there, people began to get unwell and distressed and pressed the emergency button to open doors. This is in itself risky as it’s quite a jump down off the train on the track for anyone disembarking, let alone walking on a very difficult uneven surface for perhaps a kilometre, with children in tow.

Obviously trains were way overcrowded to begin with or people would have been able to cope with being on board during such a delay. I’m not sure what might have mitigated against this. More trains, but look what congesting the track did.

Dragging children along the track was risky and irresponsible, but it the situation on board was that intolerable then desperation led to this.

Of course once people were in the line, that was the end of rail services, full stop. The sh1t show had peaked. Bray Air Display seems to have been a victim of its own success. If memory serves me right the show used to be more evenly spread out over two days, but this day they made it clear that “Sunday was the day to attend”. Saturday it was quiet, Sunday it was overcrowded.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Joe will be devastated a child or children weren't killed as he could have penned a new death buke:

"De childers dat did doyed on de train tracks on dare way see de Bray Air show on dat on de Dart and dat on a summer's Sunday in July 2-22 so to speak"

I might tune in today to hear the faux outrage and ridiculous levels of exaggeration from the host, complete with no doubt a plethora of angry dubs.

• Did anyone hear Mourning Ireland, with the fake-acting sounding recording of a passenger who saw someone having “cardiac massage, with a blood pressure cuff on his arm”. A little exaggeration I dare say. No other reports of CPR having been carried out unless someone could correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭leath_dub

I'd be expecting quite a bit of bitching by Joe when he can't get Barry Kenny on the line - muttering about him being on Newstalk regularly

• Advertisement

• Train of Events (excuse de pun which Joe will undoubtedly use twoday):

1). Trains were packed tight, day was quite warm & humid. It was uncomfortable on board.

2). Trains approaching Bray stopped, as usual for 3-8 minutes, waiting for platform to free up. One particularly impatient person or small group of people took it upon themselves to pull emergency leaver to open the doors between station.

3). Train could not proceed, people started disembarking and walking along track. With people in track no other train could proceed along the line.

4). The fleet of trains was stopped on their tracks for a prolonged period causing confusion and increasing the temperature inside carriages, with ensuing panic and forced disembarking of all.

5). End of all train service for afternoon, many forced to walk distances on track, having made the risky descent to track level. All because one or two impatient idiots pulled the emergency lever during a routine short stop. Those who initiated this fiasco after less than 10 minutes stopped should, imo, face fines or prosecution as would be the case for any individual who puts a train into an emergency stop without seriously good reason like a fire on board.

Missed dat, any Ukranians caught up in these events. I'll have to check me Radio Dial, all I'm getting for the past 5 months is Mourning Ukraine 😉

I wunder was it a Brisk weekend for our favourite hostess with the mostest from Ukraine in Bray 😉

You know of course Cawlur, none of this Relevant in Joe's mind 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭mumo3

I stupidly took the train yesterday out to Bray... I would normally drive, but decided I'd do public transport.

1) Left my house in Clondalkin to get the luas a 11:00 at the red cow... was turned away as parking was full due to All Ireland. Ended up driving to Drimnagh parked my car at a friends and managed to get on a jam packed Luas at 12:30.

2) got to Connolly Station at about 1pm and the platform was like something in Calcutta, got the train at about 1:30pm was again absolutely rammed.

There was no air conditioning, I don't care what they say there was none, and not 1 widow opened in our carriage, kids where over heating, my 16 year old literally dropped to the floor from the heat by the time we hit dun laoghaire, so could only imagine how the smaller kids where coping.

The main issue I have is 1) the amount of buggies with no kids in them that could have been folded. 2) Men in their late 20's early 30's, just sitting there while women/men stood with babies in their arms (what happened to basic manners?) 3) Again trains stuck waiting to get to/ or leave the platforms for 20/30 minutes

They where well able to manage the crowds on the way back, Bray station didn't let anybody in once the platform hit capacity for the arriving Dart. Once that was filled they started letting people in for the next Dart and so on, yes you had to queue outside but all though there was still people standing on the journey back, you could actually breath.

Gosh that sounds horrific, I travelled the Dart a lot when it first started and I agree there was never Air Con.

I've absolutely no doubt people had two choices, sufficate or get off. I don't know what the driver of the train was doing in the middle of all this, probably very little they could do but at a minimum people should have been encouraged to stay near the train on the verge, the sight of children walking along tracks was shocking albeit I know the lines were closed, anything could have happened, a real Tragedy avoided but only by luck it would seem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭Hitchens

nothing worse than having to queue ..........for anything!

especially if you've small kids and its outside in the dead heat for up to two hours!!!

I am indeed, feel free to call me MR/MS Producer 😉

Don't forget to say the children's mental health was affected by this traumatic experience, and to ask Joe about the leg.

• Advertisement

• I think the solution might have been, in the face of limits of available staff, to limit the train stops to places where crowds could be corralled by a proper marshalled queue system. An example would be: set off from Connolly, one stop only at Dún Laoghaire, and flag it well ahead. Or else call in volunteers (with some background experience at events) who get some freebie like free travel for a week, and they could be allocated to each station under the supervision of some experience Irish rail staff members.

If the trains only stopped at, eg, at Dún Laoghaire, that would be pretty tough on eg people living in Shankill who would have to either plan to make their way to nearby Bray much earlier, or find their way back to Dún Laoghaire.

but whatever it might take to stop too many people boarding, it needed to be done.

Effected....Effected, I'd say they'd suffer PTSD if they even saw an image of Thomas the Tank engine

• Natasha was providing entertainment services to the gentlemen in her seafront parlour with a colleague working the other end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I wonder what will be on todays show and what sort of humor will the host be in?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭furiousox

Either the Bray debacle or Mary from Manchester trying to locate a man she met at a dance in tullamore in 1967.

CPL 593H

BREAKING:

Kat-Trinne Thomasssssses' Mudder had a narrow and lucky escape from the carnage on the DORT yesterday as she as recently as 2008 was in Bray. Kat-Trinne has asked for privacy at this difficult time for the family, as she tells this story to every newspaper and online media outlet in the country. TheJournal.ie have confirmed NK and Kat-Trinne are in talks with RTE to make a 6 part TV series on the event; part-documentary and part-realty show. TheJournal.ie can confirm that Meryl Streep is in line to play Kat-Trinne's Mudder whilst Kat-Trinne will play herself. The budget has been set at €120million for this show as was hailed by Dee Forbes earlier as being the biggest coup for the RTE Winter Showcase. Lottie Ryan is in talks to host the show's official podcast.

🤣🤣🤣 to Funny .

Is the Dort , the sections on the extreme North and most of da southern section section from Taaara Street to Shunkill Cawlur

This is actually a true story, not a Waterford whisper 😳 dear god we've now got to be sensitive about the dead from hundreds, thousands of years ago.

The wurld literally going quite Bonkers 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Expunge

Dozens of Bus Éireann services cancelled (rte.ie)

It looks like wan of Joe's favourite companies, after Dooblin Buuus naturally, is having difficulties doing what transport companies are supposed to do. I wuunder will they come into the mix this afternoon?

It seems they are having recruitment 'challenges' at the moment and can't fulfil their commitments.

Considering the state of some our roads, the unwell and body odour 'challenges' on these buses, I'm not surprised.

Advertisement