Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,512 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

What the fuuherke are you on about?

This is one hour fifteen of hard core ,rock hard, plugging on national radio

Full on, unadulterated ,stiff boned,name checked, fcukkery.

Untrammelled shilling,name checking , barefaced plugging , obviously a pay back agreement somewhere

Pure and utter disrespect for the listener who in fairness can see through this drivel for wHat it is.

Fake…… fake ….fake.

Everybody was brilliant ……everybody was brilliant …. Everybody was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,235 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It's the wurstest mouuuhhhveeeee ever, Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Ah last a cawler saying the movie is a load of shite

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Deep intake of breath from Joe when your man said the fillum was sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 9,013 ✭✭✭shearforce

"what de hell was dat?"

good review

next caller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Expunge

Liveline Series producer..... You are a disgrace.

Editor of Radio One...... Do you even care?

I presume Joe and the Liveline crew gave Michael Flateley's ecent fillum the same treatment? 🙄

Or do they not apply this type of adulation to "plastics"?

You Ormond would never put his name to this @.15 of pure rubbish.

Has a smell of Sweeney about it ….. or O’Neill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

Existential despair? Joe thinks it's about a donkey kicking Colin Farrell.

Sian O'Gorman produced that pile o shoite.

Take a bow!

Brendan Gleeson, Pat Short, Colin Farrell, etc are "one of our own", however, so everything they do is "brilliant" "powerful", "thought provoking" and/or "intriguing"

File under "Saoirse Ronan"

O’Gorman…… hope she never surfaces again after that blatant disrespect of the license payer.

should be an inquiry into this ball of manure.

Need to get to the bottom of why this was deemed fit to broadcast, and what was the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,246 ✭✭✭squonk

All the actors involved have great careers and are doing very well for themselves. Don’t think they need a bit of a boost from a lazy buffoon like Joe really.

If Tubbs, Duffer and DArsey are all doing plugs for this movie then it raises an interesting point. I know RTE like to have the cake and eat it so they pull in a d revenue along with the license but that’s at least kind of up front. Are they also accepting payment for product placement in the guise of editorial content without actually stating that fact? Only the shîtiest of independent commercial stations would have produced a show like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

What I do be do be do be do be referring to is Bryan Turdriddy’s equally sycophantic promotion of the Elvis movie since January of this year. Whilst he hasn’t given a full show to it, hardly a day goes by without him mentioning it since he was treated to a private screening a full 6 months before the release date. So whilst Joseph Duffy Esq. gave 75mins to McDonagh’s work today, Tubs has given hours to the promotion of Elvis since January. He’s mentioned it almost as much as The Toy Show at this stage.

NAh….. don’t believe you Sq. Nobody…. but nobody would put their name to that fcukkery unless there was a big deal done, in my opinion.

Even the comm stations wouldn’t have the leather balls that Duffy has to push that out.

How O’Gorman succumbed to allowing it is one for another day for sure.

Definite need for an inquiry as to why a private venture could get a 75 mins polemic on a taxpayer funded platform for their product.

Has to be a ‘backhander’ of some kind somewhere in this, in my opinion.

Needs an Independant inquiry for sure.

Apologies Butthers, don’t listen to Tubridys stuff any more.

I stand admonished..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭avfc1874

Just to spite Joe, I hope it wins fcuk all,

But it will be someone else's fault / predudice if it doesn't win

• Advertisement

No problem caller so to speak. A wise move not listening to Tubs to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Heard the start.... Out... Given up listening to this sort of stuff, it's impossible to get an honest appraisal of a film featuring Irish actors from any home grown media outlet, to listen to them one would have thought Belfast was a masterpiece there a while back... The whole thing around Irish productions or Irish actors is childish and dishonest, what would that eegit Duffy know about it anyway shur he thinks Mrs Brown's Boys is high art

• a new thread to record instances of product placement / alibi advertising on Liveline and other RTE Radio 1 shows

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Product placement occurs on all show shows, we know, but when it’s repetitious and moreover supposed to be on a caller driven show it gets farcical. You know right well some arrangement of payment has been made for the promotion which is taking up valuable space on the broadcasting service forum it’s stated to be. So much is going on in ordinary people’s lives and a show business promotion is being hosted by the national broadcaster who may as well be honest about this being a significant source of revenue for them.

It feels like a bad nightmare now. First Unfunny Friday Morgan Freeman makes an appearance.. like, whoy? Then talking to de donkey trainer…. There needs to be a crimes against broadcasting trial for Duffer ASAP. Honestly, probably the worst radio I’ve heard in almost 50 years if listening to the medium. Makes those old Chris Barry/Niall Boykin Kate night talk shows for de taxi drivers sound like high brow art.

Not sure they got much value for their money with that placement. I’d love to see the listenership figures for today. You’d at least think they’d get Brendan Gleeson on to tell Joe how great da lahvlahn is. A bunch of students would have put together a better product placement show they that smash and grab effort earlier. I’d say it’s alienated more potential punters than it’s gained.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,603 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Caught the last bit of the show where is seemed every caller gave away different parts of the movie. From only a basic idea what the film was about, I now know practically the whole film. Are the producers of the show taking Xanax before work everyday?

Who did the Morgan Freeman impression? Joe or a caller?

• Mr Freeman himself, sounded like Funny Friday.

• Advertisement

• Joe makes a pigs balls out of anything there is to promote, he’s so “obvious” about it, like Tubridy, but in a different style. Each as obvious as each other.

Most people I know aren’t impressed with any of the top three radio hosts, except one or two imagine that Tubridy is totally sincere and that I’m overly cynical in believing otherwise, but those are people who like to believe there is plenty of goodness and sincerity out there. Those critics of Duffy’s style, whom I know, do attribute certain revolutionary back-turns in policy to his show, and believe because of his gruff manner that he doesn’t hold back on showing things up. But they fail to see all the third party luvvies/friends who so often influence Joe’s decision making as to what to host on the show and what slant to take.

Advertisement