Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Joe getting into his old jag to go to “wurk”

Joe on an amble down Dollyer seafront

Joe scaring off the gulls on the white sands of Dollyer

Joe’s scythe acts as a good walking aid for his Bad Leg

Any given Liveline

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭archfi

I wonder who decided it was a great idea to stick a questionnaire on point-of-sale terminals and soliciting money for charities when trying to pay for something.

It bugs the shoite out of me!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,409 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,665 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Nah, you just used to get kids with buckets, who'd pack your groceries all arse for elbow.

I honestly don't mind throwing a few coins in if I've got some loose, but for the past few years, the only coins in my pockets have been for trolleys and not spending or donating.

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I was listening to that mother today when I was driving. Initially I found her story very tough going and I have the utmost sympathy for her. However (1) her daughter only died 2 weeks ago so she is not in any state to have an objective discussion on RTE on end of life care, simply because her little girl died and the instinct to protect has finally failed and the sense of loss is in overdrive. (2) some deaths are peaceful, some are not, its very hard to predict and it can be very distressing (3) I was quite upset that Laura Lynn seemed to be targeted here, a charity that does an awful lot to help terminally ill children run by a mother who lost both her daughters.

I also lost my daughter to cancer when she was 5 years old. At that time LauraLynn had not been set up. There was no children's hospice but my little girl died at home (where we wanted her to die) with the help and assistance of St Francis Hospice in Raheny. They were upset themselves then as they said they found it hard to be at the deathbed of children when they were an adult service, however they were excellent. Hindsight is a great thing, time is a healer, it gives perspective, something you cannot have at the time. I hated the process at the time, hated the hospice calling as it meant the end was near, it was horrific. BUT they were so good and did everything they could. And she died at home in our bed.

I was wondering today why the mother didn't have that option, allowing Daisy to die at home with the help of the hospice. They DO call to homes that have sick children, not just adults. What we don't have here is a specific HSE run hospice for children. LauraLynn could have taken Daisy but only if her death wasn't an emergency, is that right? That's the bit I didn't understand..... most deaths from cancer or a syndrome are predictable within a few weeks, so there is time to plan for death. Maybe there was very little warning? I may have missed some details.

I just hope LauraLynn dont suffer any negativity here. To lose a child is unbearable but I would say (speaking for myself who tried to start counselling a week later....... hindsight, hindsight!!) you are far from objective or normal that soon after a child dies. You are going through a madness and that's an understatement. You are certainly not calm, collected and objective. I hope this lady will eventually be ok , its a very long tough road ahead.

• I hate the POS terminal use as in USA. I always tip, of course, but I hate having to make a fuss about trying to get help with it because of the combination of my poor dexterity & very unstable close vision. You want to do it all in a dignified manner but those terminals are very poor for the many likes of me.

Occasionally cashiers get cranky with me, most are absolutely fine and an Aldi guy packed my shopping for me! He saw I was like an bull in a china shop.

However my attempts to use “apps” on the hoof can be disastrous. Quite a while back I had trouble with the Marks & Spencer app and was at the cashier paying for a clothing item, when I was clumsily manipulating my phone, my hands both shaking quite obviously. An older woman, she said “you can’t be holding up customers just because you don’t know how to use the app, you’ll have to move on”. She’s a right wagon anyway, I avoid her like the plague.

The only “app” I use is the Boots physical card one, and there’s a a lad always comes over to help me at the self-service that encourages me to give my custom there.

Mr Treacey’s SuperValu in Churchtown is incredibly helpful and very often a lad carries my shopping to the car. He employs more people than he technically needs, his business model has more of a Quaker type approach.

Re Going through US pre-clearance in Dublin, as came up today, it’s really easy with wheelchair assistance. The immigration officers literally hold your hand to get properly fingerprinted as my hands don’t always cooperate with my commands. They guys are trained to realise this and know how to respectfully assist to achieve the fingerprinting.

• I am so sorry to learn of your most painful loss 😓 may your little angel sleep peacefully.

That was a very hard listen for most, but for you it must have been difficult beyond belief.

The lady made sure to advocate that we should still donate to Laura Lynn, but of course I for one got sucked into quasi-feeling emotion I could never really feel as I experienced such. For moments I felt annoyed by Laura Lynn’s apparent limitations, and that mother said she would have foregone respite care if her daughter could have been catered to at the end of her life by them.

I’d have to listen again, got distracted by my own reaction to the subject tbh, but I got the notion that there was no expert assistance available when her daughter rapidly deteriorated and died. And it seems nobody with familiarity/expertise was available to talk to her, hold her hand etc as she held her deceased daughter awaiting a doctor to certify the death. I don’t know to what extent she tried to get the hospice involved, I would have to listen back. I was left with the impression that she was literally abandoned by the “caring” services.

The subject needs to be revisited, but I think some professional people and representatives of services need to come on a series of programs to describe what is and is not available. But if course Joe who handle this tactlessly, maybe shout down someone from a charity, and it would not go well.

The late Marian would have been the perfect person to host this subject, if she could face it considering she went through it all herself and was forever unable to talk about it.

• The beggar outside the shop stands in for the charidee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Joe and RTE getting slatted on the show The Group Chat on VM1.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,696 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Why dont you get Tesco home delivery? I've not done a big shop in a supermarket in over a decade.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Joe needs Mrs Collins on

"Planning Permission" in both Ireland and the UK has gone far beyond the original purpose of planning permission.

The planning department and the rules around planning are to stop people building houses or other buildings willy nilly all over the country. Sometimes where a person might pick to build is just generally unsuitable, or it could be on the route of a future planned road or other piece of infrastructure. Most people would agree that having a planning process is important for that reason.

Requiring planning permission for a head stone in a cemetery is nonsensical. Yes its big, yes its garish, yes its not pleasing on the eye, but that should not be in the remit of the planning department.

Getting into a war of words with a group of travellers is extremely stupid on the part of the council. Ultimately they will win, and worst case scenario, you find yourself beneath your own headstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

Awful situation, not sure why Laura Lynn were being brought into it at all, as this is a different service. Lynn (Daisy's mam) was on Liveline last year in response to another poor child for who the family were looking for Hospice care; got the impression that they could not secure hospice care as it was something to do with them living in the SouthEast and this is outside the area covered?.. But Lynn was saying that there is no palliative care for children anywhere in the country. Other families did get a palliative care package for the children but Daisy didn't seem to - maybe they couldn't gauge when she would pass away (god love them); 33 weeks she (Daisy ) spent in ICU in 2022.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22229924/

She (Lynn) was asked a year ago to withdraw fluids and meds but couldn't face doing that (terrible for her).

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭NeinNeinNein

I wonder which tunes are on the jukebox.

Eye of the Tiger is probably one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭leath_dub

I would say that Lynn from yesterday will feature highly in today's promo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Tow

Joe,

Nursing home bashing: Classic/Passive Healthcare

Sharp Knives for sale: Too sharp for de public - Aldi Bashing

Vet Fees: Cannot afford, cheaper to put dog out of misery.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Tow

Probably, he miss spoke 'Laura' when naming the nursing home provider.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Dr Karl

The brand of the knife, Rocktrail is a Lidl brand not Aldi. Not the first time someone in RTE confused German companies, I recall one of their business reporters named the wrong car company when reporting on dieselgate, even though it was globally reported that it was the VW Group.

A caller called Lynn and a healthcare provider called Laura Lynn. So difficult to keep track of names when you are as busy as Joe is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Padre Marmion back in de nooz

Ah dont be bringing a second German retailer into the equation. Poor Joes head will go boom!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,696 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

did they mention the colour and name of the dog ?

• Missed de promo a dat, my new toy arrived and I got a lesson in how to use it - racing model lightweight fold-up powered wheelchair, could win a marathon in it. But to begin with it will be slow mode. They are just new in this country, I’m one of first customers, but orders coming in fast.

• Heard that on Dobbo, hope Joe is t going to go there today. I want funny stuff.

• Advertisement

I've heard people say Laldi when referring to both so as to not offend anyone. Maybe Joe should do that.

He could also announce at the start of the show that to protect peoples identities, from now on they are using false names, and he can then refer to all his callers as either John or Mary.

Advertisement