Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A friend got one a few months back, my thoughts on them before I saw it in action were gimmicky yokes for printing lightweight junk items you would get at de Ewero shop.

He was showing me some of the items he printed, the quality was amazing and it can print in various colours too. I could see so many applications in printing up spare parts and one-off items. You can make really solid stuff that would look near commercial grade.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,244 ✭✭✭Tow

Those Robinsons started at > 80k Stg back in the early 90s. Got to the full sales pitch and to sit in one at a show in Earls Court.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,304 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I listen to Morning Ireland every morning followed by Pat Kenny on NewsTalk, the 1pm news and sometimes the 5.30 news on Virgin One. There was one segment on Pat Kenny last week. Otherwise, it is a communications blackout.

Ive done a bit of research but I'm left confused.

It's going to be a double no from me, because I dont vote for things I dont understand. I voted No for the Nice Treaty because I didnt understand it then either.

• The idea is to teach me these processes, give me an opportunity to learn cad, put it into action. My late faaader would have loved that, my mother too. I enjoy design, will try “sculpture” initially. I also like thinking up simple solutions to issues. I have to learn the cad, one of the apps, Blender, looks fantastic.

The first resin I have bought is clear as I have a design idea in my head that it would suit. Later I will introduce myself to colours. There is a huge amount of learning to do.

• I took two lessons on the Robinson 22, far apart. Before the first lesson I did a ton load of reading up on how it flies, indeed how any helicopter flies, and the sheer delicacy of movements needed.

One pilot described to me that flying choppers very like playing the violin. As a kid I was sent to violin lessons in the Chatham St School of Music to make use of my grandfather’s instrument which he left me. It was a trial as I didn’t have the patience for it. But I did get to appreciate that it made an awful sound if you didn’t give it your all. now a chopper requires your full focus all the time, the same delicacy of hand action, feet too. The notion of “rudder authority” enters your lexicon. But at least with a violin you only offend ears if you play badly, in a helicopter, you kill yourself and maybe others, very easily.

The instructor cautiously handed me the controls to fly straight along 2 feet over the ground, speeding up, slowing down, coming to a stop and pivoting around. Simply because I had imagined my muscles operating the controls and had put so much obsessive study into it, I had what seemed to be beginners luck. The instructor asked me had I done it before, because he said I would have passed that part of low level flight on the final test. He got me to bring the chopper to the parking space and stop it in correct alignment as he lowered the collective.

Second lesson I was given all controls, including the collective, to do climbing and descending turns, approach to airfield. He simulated a number of engine failures, that is a phenomenal sensation as you push the collective full down down, maintaining 60 knots, steering to avoid obstacles and towards your target landing spot, a brisk flare as you skid onto the grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,799 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Imagine a Lahvlahn telepoll on the two Articles 😄

Text Y for one, N for two, YN for one and two, YY for two and one, NY for one two..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭johnbarrett35

Probably why Prince William cancelled his attendance at his godfather's memorial today.

Sure Joe and the Royal family are like this: 🤞

There is a design issue with de Robinson where the roter can hit the tail, of you start to do aerobatics. One crashed a couple of years ago from it, very near were by inlaws used to live in Dallas.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

• I know dat x 3, I read an accident report on it before de first lesson. In the cockpit was a notice stuck on to the control NO PUSHOVERS and this also applies to the R44, and any teetering rotor. I was super conscious of this, also of carburettor heat, reminding the instructor to apply it every so often. I used to have to apply carb heat in de airplane too of course. You can’t be up in any of those masheens without your full wits about ya.

Ray would be pulling de wrong knob all de time, ya have to be very careful about knob pulling whilst up in de air or you will quickly hear de sound of silence.

• How not to land a Robinson Ray pressing the wrong buttons

• Registered Users Posts: 17,160 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Funny the timing of this released report, eh?

Inclusivity report recommends more women's sport on TV

Just as the public consultation closes(today at 5pm) on the matter that they(I include the government and media) did their best to keep from informing the general public about.

• This guy’s hands all over the place in the controls, he’s obviously not comfortable for some reason and made a jerking right push on the cyclic during lift off. Got to be done with flawless fitness, every time.

• First task, dispose of enormous protective packaging

• Exactly like this. I see his death notice was 2009, Edenderry. Owned property but lived like a pauper.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I had an appointment at 2pm so I missed the most of the riveting story about golf. What was the jist of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

There's a few have come to a sticky end in a Robinson, over the years. It may be nothing more than a perceptual set on my part, but it seems they might have a higher accident rate than they should.

Of course, being more or less an entry-level chopper, they're more likely to be flown by eejits.

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

I expect you paid a halot of money for that, too.

• Advertisement

Golfing Gus was getting graunchy grunnions with the auld arfur itis, so was letting us know to keep swinging the auld club and stave off the Grim Reaper.

• A man won a trophy and couldn’t bring it on board Ryanair without placing it in a bag and he didn’t have a bag big enough for his trophy, but Ryanair sent it on to him later. He just wanted to tell us he won a magnificent trophy and generally bore the socks off us.

• Some have come to a sticky end, but many have survived accidents in them too, it’s more that the aircraft came to sticky ends during the Tiger when tons of idiots bought them. The fatalities were the pushover manoeuvre, believed to have possibly been done by pax being left loose in the controls at altitude, another was hitting wires. You have to keep a very sharp lookout for these.

The Robinson 22 is regarded as the most difficult-to-fly non-military chopper, yet because of lower running costs it is the one used by flying schools. It has proved itself to be structurally sound and reliable once flown correctly. It is like learning to drive in a Ferrari. In engine failure you have to respond in a millisecond, otherwise it’s curtains. It’s also highly prone to getting into low revs if you attempt to climb it too quickly, then curtains.

they were originally designed for ranch work in the USA, herding animals, getting distances in a jiffy. Best suited to low level operations, they are incapable of hovering more than 2 feet off the ground. They are low maintenance and don’t take up too much hangar space, can be wheeled out by one person. They were never ever intended to be a flying school aircraft.

One time during the Tiger, a lad bought one, hired an instructor to teach him and the day before the test the instructor got him to do a manoeuvre he’d never attempted before l, and which wasn’t going to be part of the test. It involved a quick low level turn to downwind, alas the skids caught the ground and tossed the chopper into multi cartwheels. Chopper was a write-off, instructor suffered minor bruises, student walked out unscathed, hired another chopper and passed his test next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,965 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Joe found the missing violin.

But didn't find the missing car keys, sort out the HSE hacking crisis, get the wonderful, wondeful voluteers back their roles in the Citizens Advice Bureau or stop Pew Tin's war in Ukraine.

1 out of 5 ain't bad.

Today in Studio S7.1

Command Chair: President Duffy's ego has landed.

Guest Chairs: Empty

Violin: Recovered thanks to de LiveLine.

Sean O'Casey: Looking for amateur dramatic group to perform lad's play.

100 Years since Juno and the Paycock.

Apprentices: Not all it is supposed to crack up to be

Edit: Changed spelling to keep de pedants happy.

Post edited by Tow on

I heard the lot but honestly could not tell you any more than the caller loves golf.

Will there be a music piece from the found violin?

Is it not Paycock, or is that just how some people pronounce it?

Apprentices - that sounds riveting.

Christ I hope not. Nothing gets me out of a pub quicker than the sound of a fiddle being tuned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭avfc1874

If Joe sticks to the promo it's going to be a dreary Wednesday,

Wonder if he'll eat his lunch on air as he's given up even pretending he cares

Advertisement