Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options
1579157925793579457955797»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,532 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

but the owner of the asset has paid tax on it already, and should be free to give it to who ever they want. there are many many people in the country, and arriving into the country, who have made zero contributions to what they receive each week. BTW this will not affect me, I just think it is a rotten system.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,129 ✭✭✭squonk

Yes, I don’t get why an asset already having tax legitimately paid on it by its owner should attract further tax when it’s transferred on to another party via inheritance. The concept of “contribution” is stupid and j don’t get the views of some here. There are many forms of contribution, not all off them monetary. A person leaving property to an individual isn’t doing it to some randomer. It’s a family member or friend who is important to the owner in some way and has contributed to the owners life.

Having inherited a property, I might want to renovate. I pay tax. I might want to sell, I pay tax on the profits then or I want to rent, I also pay tax on that. I’m even penalised now if I leave the property vacant. So basically I attract tax anyway but just for fun and giggles, let’s throw on a 33% charge on the notional value of the property just because we can.

Advertisement