Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

1593559365937593859395941»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,732 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Joe can comfort himself when he looks at his pay check this evening that he discussed the stabbing of the Padre on Liveline.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,094 ✭✭✭shearforce

Joe get him to say "Ulster says no"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

free advertising for gambling benefitting some donegal soccer clubs now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,732 ✭✭✭✭Dan Jaman

It was an empty scrap tyre rolling down the road and colliding with a heap of dung, today.

Вашему собственному бычьему дерьму нельзя верить - V Putin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Deeec

So good news Fr Paul is ok if hes able to be on Facebook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭archfi

Duffy was trying to keep the remains of his Werther inside his gob there

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭squonk

Might have to bow out of this thread. Joe is an ignorant bitter arsehole. I’m not sure if he’s just getting worse or I’m noticing it more. It’s far from being good radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

the buffon-ish behavior is why I listened. He is still a buffon, but now much more nasty. Really it's time for RTE to put him out to pasture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,533 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

He's definitely getting worse.

A comparison was made to Trump earlier in the thread. They both have one common problem, no-one has said no to them in a very long time and therefore they think they are unstoppable.

Joes monologue about Kneecap should have gotten him in hot water with someone. His regular digs in to the Wolfe Tones should not be allowed.

• Advertisement

I reckon for a lot of real journalists, hosting Liveline IS being put out to pasture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I've said on this forum before now that I came across Duffy about 30 odd years ago on a Gay Byrne trip to Belfast. He's still ignorant!

And there was me thinking he was a pleasant Grandpa type of character in years gone by who has soured with age…

Yeah I was here because he is a buffoon but his level of nastiness lately is just starting to really grate.

Definitely he should have been pulled up on Kneecap. I caught Kneecap at a festival a few years ago. Myself and two friends were left a bit shocked with the open drug taking and IRA references but they were ironic really. In the end I figured the issue was with me being at a gig I was way too old for and young prime will do what they do. I’m delighted to see them doing well. Going on rants over the band name and RA references is uncalled for. We older listeners all know the terrible things that happened in the north but this have to move in and if Kneecap make fun of the RA that’s fine. We have to move forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I go through phases of listening to Liveline. I've been listening most weekdays now for the last 2-3 weeks.

I prefer when Joe is on because the potential for car crash radio is so much higher. He's outstandingly terrible, in small doses. The stand ins just have a bit more competence and less ego: but it does make for a generally more boring show.

But after a while, his approach and style really grate: he's ghoulish, he's mawkish, insincere, he's rude, he frequently doesn't understand things, gets on his high horse about issues, has a huge ego and a chronic lack of self awareness: he's forever talking about taxpayer's money - a subject, if he had any sense he'd never bring up. The absolute neck of Joe to talk about money being wasted, is pretty amazing. You have to hand it to him in one sense.

But, have to say, the last few weeks have been so boring to listen to. Eating up nearly the entire running time to subjects that aren't the least bit interesting - all that interminable stuff this week about guys trying to find Irish pen pals from fifty years ago: that shyte was desperately dull. All the scattershot shows, flitting breakneck between subjects.

Duffy sounds checked out and uninterested to me. I wouldn't be too shocked if he's gone in the next year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Hopefully Joe goes too far and has a George Hook moment, where he gets hooked off the airwaves. Liveline is supposed to be driven by the public, not by a bitter old man with his own agendas. He's meant to be an impartial host.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,598 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Wouldn’t it be funny if someone in Belfast started taking note of Duffoon’s attitude towards certain elements of the community and decided to gently remind him they haven’t gone away you know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,523 ✭✭✭✭zell12

he’d want to hang on to gaff in Clontarf! I don’t think a move to the park will be in his future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Truth be known; I listen in primarily to get material for the real hero of Liveline, namely this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭Tow

Gaff going to the favorite twin, once he gets the gubberment to sort out CAT rates and thresholds.

Joe was always as ignorant, he is just older, crankier and does not care any more. Like Kalimah, I saw him live in action years ago.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Joe mentioned the Newstalk Cash Machine earlier, which is really across all the stations owned by Bauer Media; 98FM, Newstalk, SPIN 103.8, Today FM and more.

Today they made the call at 3pm, the prize on offer was for €100,000. Entrants from last Friday until today were valid, as it ran for a week. You have to answer within 5 rings and give the correct amount to win the money. It's a load of 80110X, entries cost €2.50, you shouldn't have to answer within 10 seconds at a time that might not suit you in order to win the prize.

Imagine if The National Lottery were like, "we gave you 5 minutes to claim the prize, you didn't, and now it's gone." The person they rang today didn't answer, so the prize rolls over until next week. Sometimes they have a guaranteed winner, where they'll keep ringing different numbers until someone answers.

The person who didn't answer the call today, they're probably distraught and Bauer Media have ruined their weekend at the very least. And there's been countless people who have missed the call(some even get the amount wrong(. All because they didn't answer a call so some 💩head can pry into their life asking them personal questions and giving the station a soundbite. It also gives them the opportunity to do rollovers when people don't answer or get it wrong. If I pay €2.50 for a ticket and you have my name and number, that should be all that's needed to win the prize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30 cher nobyl

given me an idea, get several tesco mobile # and phones, and rig it all up like that scene from better call saul

Advertisement