Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport - What's it like now?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭markpb

I was told there was only snacks so paid a fortune for breakfast in T2 only to get to 51&G to find the same breakfast free of charge 😔 That was two weeks ago.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Thanks by that I assume you mean hot food at 51&G.

As a matter of interest how was US pte clearance, long qs? Assume you got a decent amount of time to in the lounge?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭markpb

Yup, there was a full, hot breakfast available in 51&G.

We entered pre-clearance around 8:30am, were the only ones there and were done in five minutes. The flight crew told us that our flight was extremely quiet (89 pax), I’m not sure if others were the same but they expected things to pick up the week after (last week).

We were in the lounge for 90 minutes. I think there’s a 2h limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Just wondering the lay of the land these days with lifting of restrictions. Flying to UK at 8am Friday. Was hoping to be at airport carpark for 6am as this was usually enough time but first flight now in two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

MIght be cutting it fine, security Q's would be long at that time and on a Friday.... oops see you will have gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,102 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Flying at 915am on a Friday morning 1st April ... would fast track be worth it? And what time should I book for? 8am?

Thanks.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

7.30am, guidelines are still arrive to airport 2 hours pre flight. Friday mornings are busy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

The long term car park is still mothballed, concrete bollards across it.

I thought the 2 hours would be for check-in and security? They'd be planning to be at the airport 730 alright.

Apparently Dixons has closed in T1 and the one in T2 has shrunk (or possibly closed). Is this because Dixons pulled out of all the UK airports too?

Mad there is nowhere to buy gadgets etc in UK or Irish airports now.

• Advertisement

Continuing closure of long term carpark is putting pressure on short term. I was surprised to find the short term near T1 full when looking for a space about 10 days prior for a Friday in early November. I got space in T2 short term carpark. Just checked now and see option is now there for long term carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

The DAA long term car parks are open. Quickpark is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭kindalen

Any sign of quikpark reopening? Is court case over? Need to spaces this summer, or prices at DAA will be crazy.

Short term parking rates have increased in past few weeks. I paid 60 for four days c Jan 11th and it is now quoting 80 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

What do people find the best option re parking these days?

Myself and the wife always used to get the GoBus up from Galway pre-kids which was very handy and no worries re parking. Not really a good option with 2 young kids though.

Short term Carpark is €250 for two weeks in early June. Considering paying it purely for handiness sake with small kids. The red long term is €115. Wondering if the lesser hassle is worth the added cost. Last few holidays we have flown from Shannon where parking is a lot cheaper.

First world problems and all that I guess.

Is there anywhere else outside the airport that people find handy that is less pricy?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

You could try Clayton hotel, if you’re getting a bus it might be a few minutes longer but save a few bob. Think CLAYTON222 gives 10% off

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

anyone been to dublin airport recently and can advise what the security gate times are. ive an option to be 1.5 hour or 2.5 hour before a flight. tks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

A bit late now, but we usually do the red with the kids. I drop wife, luggage and kids at terminal setdown area, she checks in luggage (or at least starts queing) then I park in Red Car park on my own and jog bag to terminal (about 5 mins). Past few times its worked well and we have met at entrance to security. Much easier than lugging kids and luggage on and off shuttle buses. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Assuming it’s a bus you’re getting, take the 2.5 hour option just in case of traffic and/or security line issues. Can easily happen.

God’s honest truth., 2.5 hours is just about the min I’d recommended (maybe 2 hours).

Get there earlier and have a bite to eat or something.

Post edited by callaway92 on

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Flew 11th February early morning, was very busy, had fasttrack and even that had a queue (only 5-10 minutes), but the main queues looked rotten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres now another operator at the same location as Dixons in T1. The one in T2 is shut.

Barwise, theres a new guinness experience bar in T1 downstairs just after the Wrights of Howth shop opposite Marquette. Nice bar, better pints though in my local down the country .

Theres no bar at all at the mo in T2, the old one with view out over the apron is being renovated so you need to go get a pint from Burger King in a plastic glass. It seems that the cafe/ restaurant upstairs is also open (they used to have Porterhouse beer) but I wasnt paying full attention.

and to repeat whats been said a few times, there are corridors behind security from T2 to T1 and back so its no problem to go from one to the other. Theres no manned door like in some parts of T1 where you cant go back the way you came or anything.

With Fast track for security 1hr...without id go for 1.5hrs, these times are after you have checked in any bags (if applicable).

T2 seems to be quieter for security etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

tks for responses guys. i heard that dublin airport dodged a fine for having queues. apparently if the wait time is over 30minutes at security gates DAA get fined. So good to know that they cant really go over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Have the upstairs restaurants in T2 re opened yet? Last time I was there, the food offering was very poor.

There is information on Dublin airport website about current Queuing times for T1 and T2 security. It can be mega busy for those first early morning flights and calms down later - even was no Q at all at 11 am for one trip in past month. Also Monday morning might be worse than other days. Recently we went thru T1 at 11 am and very long Q's winding around, quite confusing = yes seemed like 30 minutes delay there and it was a Wednesday. You can pick which terminal to enter the airport and then work your way 'airside' to the right boarding gate. So it might suit better to go thru security in T1 rather than T 2 or maybe it is where you are parked and where you want to get back to? I find facilities better in T1 for sure, nicer Butlers, Boots, etc. You can check your boarding gate on airport website ahead of arriving at door of airport. Not all Aer Lingus flights go from T2 for example tho all Ryanair will be from T1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Can you link me to the info on the website re queueing times? Can’t seem to find it.

Where does it say the current security waiting times?

In the top header just below Departures... Security Time

• Advertisement

Went through T1 last Thursday for a 8.50am flight to London. Was a bit paranoid so got there at 7am with fast track. Got through about 7.10am. Non fast track was busy but not mad.

Glad there's a replacement electronics shop for Dixons....ditto at LHR departures.

Advertisement