Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undercoat /primer

• 21-07-2021 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

I have a dozen or so interior panel doors to paint over the next few days.. They were last painted (5/6 years ago) with oil based paint.

I want to use water based paint this time.

The question is what undercoat/primer is best for this job.

Thanks for info

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭NorthCity

You would be better staying with the gloss , I know water based paint is a joy to work with but the amount of work involved is not worth it .

You would need to sand down the gloss then use a chemical called TSP to wipe down the doors , you would then need a bonding primer , if

you leave any of the glossed area exposed the water based paint will wrinkle up like a dried up apple . I started the process in my home , I wanted to go entirely water based throughout , the cost and effort involved has halted my plans for now .

You could get a mini roller (on sale on in Lidl) bang out all your doors in under two hours . I wouldn't advise using the bonding primer without the sanding and TSP , once the surface starts to wrinkle it is an ugly looking finish .

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

If you want to avoid sanding and all that hassle, use a Bin primer.

It is not cheap, but you can paint over it easily.

Takes 45 minutes or less to dry.

Then you can paint them with water or oil-based paints.

As NorthCity says use a 4" roller, but I suggest finish it off with a 2" paint brush just for the look

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭mad m

Colourtrend primer 3. Great primer then you can use water based over it. However best to keep with colourtrend all the way.

great rollers to use with above system to get a spray like finish.

https://thepainthub.ie/two_fussy_blokes

Advertisement