Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering the recent re-vamp will you continue to use boards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yes

There are a couple of forums here I'm a big fan of, so it be a shame to loose those links.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I only read more than I post. Have always done. But I don't get emails anymore, I can't see my forums. I scroll down the first 2 pages, if I don't see a yellow star, I'm off.

I tried the alert where the posts where I've posted are, but when I link it, it goes randomly to any place, not in any order. . So frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

No

Probably not. It’s too difficult to navigate on mobile. I used the My Forums only as I lurked in a few niche areas. Without that it’s just noise I’m afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kefflin

Yes

Yes I'm sure ill become more used to it

Yes

Yes. I only use a handful of forums so it's not that big of a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Yes

Yes, I won't be flouncing off. But clearly a lot more needs to be done to make it as functional and navigable as it was before. I hope people are patient, give it the time it needs and stop throwing their toys out of the pram.

No

No. This community helped turn a bulletin board into an online community with flowing discussion and high levels of engagement. For 3 weeks now we've been suffering the consequence of being largely ignored in the decision making, evaluation and migration of the platform. Crap communication from Boards HQ, effectively no meaningful engagement with the user-base from the executive(s) behind the terribly decision to move without adequate testing and a prolonged and frustration period of poor user experience impacting on each and every single user, that's enough. Arse-kissing and brown nosing from a handful of gluttons for punishment doesn't make it okay for those of us who are fed up with being treated as a consumable input into a commercial machine. That's not what this was and I'm not going to support what it's become.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

No

its absolutely awful - what did they do this for ??????very un user friendly - worse from a phone - bring old boards back - awful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I probably will continue using but for sure it will be less.

I usually browse at work by "most thanked" comments and that feature is gone/not yet functioning. I think the update was premature and there appears to have been limited community input in the redesign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Yes

Yes

Although unless navigation gets easier probably a lot less.

The poll makes for grim viewing - 50% 😪

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'm checking in daily as it's muscle memory as someone mentioned.

That'll happen less and less as Boards.ie is essentially gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Yes

Yes. Hopefully all the t' s will be crossed and the i' s dotted soon.

I ain't giving up yet 😀

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

No

If it continues like this, absolutely not.

Its completely unusable now on mobile. Desktop looks a bit better using members own coding, but the vanilla version is terrible. Finding anything is a chore. Lots of things are simply unable to be found... Like a second page of threads at the home page. Lots and lots of completely unnecessary function are to the fore (why do we need an "activity" thread in the valuable drop down menu?)

The functionality of the touch site is very very different to the desktop.

I'll stay around my fav forums for now, but if useability remains as difficult and unintuitive as it currently is I won't be staying around.

Worst upgrade since digg.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

No

What's the point in posting anything anymore when you haven't a clue where the thread is and get no notification. Its a **** show.

Ill never find this post again so goodbye post its been nice knowing you

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Yes

At present, you have to follow the thread after you post in it.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Yes

Probably yes, but a lot less, especially on mobile. I miss being able to just click the number of unread threads next to my name in the top right of the desktop site to catch up, rather than navigate back home and *then* click "My Threads", where there is no way of telling which of those are already read besides not being posted in since the re-vamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Yes

I thought that too Esel , but I didn't follow this thread and was then notified of your comment. Maybe that's been fixed?

I'll probably still be about, I'm just less inclined to post. For instance I like to know if someone responds directly to me - that's just good manners. The spamming notifications is a bind. I like the little yes/no above each post, makes it all live a little more. The picture and video thing is a hige improvement too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Yes

I have actually spent more time on the site since the downgrade that before, but only because it take way longer to do anything, and reading a lot less, since there is less to read. I assume the extra investment in time would get me up to speed with the new site, but much of the functionality is not here yet.

I get my 20 year pin in November, assuming I have the will power to keep with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

No

I've clicked No although I'm sure that I will pop back and poke the site with a stick now and again. All functionality that I used to rely on is gone, mobile is unusable (I used to use the old app... can't even find a new one in the Play store!) and users are disappearing so fast that the number of posts has seriously dwindled.

I've been using Boards for 11 years and whilst not the most prolific poster, it used to be the first page I booted to every time I switched on the PC and was my go-to "time wasting" app on mobile.

Now I'm having to rely on third party extensions and user scripts just to get it into a viewable state!

Sadly no more - The patient appears to be in terminal decline and some pretty serious work is going to have to be undertaken to turn it around.

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No

Ugh

Using mobile is painful. I posted here. Why isnt it in bookmarked threads? Why is bookmarked threads hard to find and use?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

No

The only solution at this stage really is a roll back. Just look at how quiet any of the forums are (e.g. some of the sports ones).

Put back up the old boards, then spend six months either testing this one with a group of volunteers and implementing the necessary fixes which have been requested but ignored countless times over the course of this three week shitshow. I'm not even confident that this Vanilla version will ever work as intended, but whatever they have invested in it will be useless if they don't manage to get the users back. I'm guessing each day of an unusable site like this, you are leaking posters who may never return.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Yes

Will I continue to use it, will it be as much as before? Sadly no.

Whilst I know things are still being fixed in the background, and the updates will come good. A week of down time really got me out of the habit of checking boards like others would check Facebook/instagram/etc. I think the wind has been knocked out boards' sails a little bit and I'm unsure the same level of posting will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

I will use it because I loved the old site however I expect I will use it far less....the more I get use to the new site the less I like it to be honest ...boards may retain most people but it will lose a large minority

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

No

I've clicked No. Mainly due to the migration of data outside of EU. I don't see any justification for that. Boards seem to be slow with providing any justification or maybe don't see the need to justify themselves at all. I'm unsure if I will delete my account but I'm leaning in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I will keep using it but my beefs are.

No drop down menu.

Only 1 page of threads on the main page.

I post but can't find it later on.

When I quote I get dragged to the bottom of the thread and then have to navigate back to where I was.

I'll still stay sporadically but if these aren't addressed I'll probably disappear soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Dunno - we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

No

Probably not. I’m noticing I’m spending far less time browsing boards since the “upgrade”, at least 90% less time tbh. As a user under various guises since 2001, this really feels like the beginning of the end of boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Yes

I'm still using it but have seriously reduced my time on here due to me getting old and not finding it as easy to navigate the forums . Even something as simple as " Mark as Read " or " subscribe to a Forum " being missing is really turning me off .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

No

And the mechanism for doing that, I found out today, is to click a tiny little icon near the top right of the first post on a page which looks sort of like a ragged rectangle and turns out to be a "bookmark" icon that then makes the thread show up under "my threads". Now there is no guidance anywhere about this.

There is now a "user guide" showing up as a banner at the top of an open forum (but not on the main pages of the site) which covers some of this but not the magic bookmark thing.

Advertisement