Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering the recent re-vamp will you continue to use boards?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes but a lot lot less

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

My thoughts exactly. It's been a number of weeks now and they haven't even corrected something as simple as the timestamps being an hour out.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭CaboRoig

I've stopped using the mobile version completely. Wouldn't be a big poster but a relatively active browser. Still no "Mt Forums" option?

I see the other site has attracted one or two of the most notorious AH bores. All tortured prose and desperate attempts at bon mots. Think I’ll stick around here, bad and all as the upgrade has been so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Yes

There's no rule against re-registering here, as long as you're not trying to evade a ban - and my past accounts aren't banned from any part of Boards.

I'm not posting links to that site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭choo choo man

No

Yes,

But an a lesser basis, maybe it is just me but the recent changes make it difficult to navigate and find recent posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

I've been through quite a few boards revamps - and I'm still here. However with the recent "update" ; I've definitly cut back.

In particular I miss my builtin drop down with shortcuts; that enables me to pretty quickly open sections of interest in a new tab, but that functionality is lost to me. Now I have a quick browse of the main page, and then more than likely bounce. The loss of the black background is a major misstep also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭McSween

I have been using google to find threads. That is absolutely absurd.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Im finding it really, really, really hard to use.

And ive been trying for a few weeks.

Really its getting to the point of just giving up

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Has there been any word on disabling the automatic drafts feature? It's an incredibly annoying feature, especially when typing on mobile and it obscures what you're typing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Yes

I'm done. Been here since 2012 I think, with three or four previous accounts.

Honestly, the quality of Boards has declined in the past few years. I presume there's a generation who have moved on from Boards.ie and not gotten replaced with the rise of other social media platforms.

The upgrade was really the last straw. Most of the threads I follow have died a death in the last month. It's not worth logging in to check on them.

Yes

Using it less than I thought I would. Only 9 normal posts since July 27th not related to to the changes. And I've largely lost interest in the changes and it's not being replaced again by posting in other threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

No

I just feel so sorry for the older people who used to ask questions in auld ones and auld fellas, boards.ie was the whole Internet to them, same for a few in farming and forestry and GAA, I wonder how many of the people responsible for this mess were actual boards.ie users and do they give a sh1t about what they've done?

Yes

Jesus, I'd feel depressed for anyone for whom Boards.ie was the whole internet!

But I'd say with absolute certainty that, from the top down, you couldn't measure how little the Boards.ie organisation - owners, admin, mods - cares about users. The owners care about damage to an asset. The mods care about various things, their own opinions, nailing posters they don't like, circling wagons etc. But never the users. That's not unique to Boards, mods usually take a them and us approach when it comes to users.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,547 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

No

I know two devoted boardsies who can't navigate the new platform at all, thereby ending their decades long association. If we lose those whom ^ Thargor mentions, Boards as an Irish community loses a great deal of wisdom, humour, and comraderie. Those folk ^ are some of my favourite boardsies and am saddened to see a platform exclude such a vital group from participating, especially during these difficult times.

For those (not unlike me), without an extensive online footprint, and to those adversely affected by social distancing, Boards has been a lifeline... There are so few communities left online - Boards demise is (not "will be") a true and tremendous loss for so many... now and later.

Conor74: Jesus, I'd feel depressed for anyone for whom Boards.ie was the whole internet!

...Feel more so, that they can't access a supportive site where they could go and be/feel a vital part of.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,502 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Yes

Yes for now. I'll give it a few more weeks in the hope it recovers. Like many others, I still struggle with navigation and THE GLARE. The substantial drop in activity on my favourite forums is worrying to say the least. Barely one step above a ghost town these days.

It's sad to see Boards dying like a wounded animal.😥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭wait4me

Oh Lord, what have you done. I now rarely log-in as the new boards is less functional and I suspect many users like me are keeping away. I will give it a couple of weeks to settle but would be interested in hearing if traffic is down (I know nobody will tell us that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Yes

Deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭TL17

Yes

Yes for now at least.

Think it is slowly building up a little again which is good to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

sites gone to crap, use it alot less then before and barely use it on mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭Baybay

Like others, probably but not nearly as much because it’s just clunky & it’s not getting any better either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It's definitely getting better. There is an updates thread somewhere.

It has improved a lot, but it is still a mess.

At least I can sort of follow my threads now. I get a notification every single time somebody posts in one of them, so being away from boards for 30 minutes can mean I have to mark all as read and start again, which is very annoying. But it is definitely going in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭sk8board

I've logged in most days, since 2006 - I click two things:

1. my followed foums (new convo's on my interested topics) - EDIT: it's not working for me now on Mac just now - it shows the results and then immediately reloads with a empty results. ugh.
    2. my previous posts (easier to deeplonk into a conversation i was in).

I can't for the life of me find a way to 'see all my posts'.

forum users (on all sites, reddit etc) are inherently insular and selfish - we have 'my forums' because we're not interested in anything else on the site. direct links into our own forums and comments seems to have been a key oversight with the design, rather than what seems to be a UI design that presents a homepage/newspaper feel - where we would browse random topics and then decide what to dive into.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 samvimes

using it less than I did, not a big poster, follow a few threads. Overall it seems very buggy for a production site, lots of odd jumping about and some annoying new 'features', for example, threads always in bold even when all comments have been read. On the old site this was not the case so it was easy to see when a new one was posted, which, on the threads I follow appear to be less than before so it looks like posting is down from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

No

Bloody site is heading towards un useable.

everytime I get a notification I click on the bell and nothing happens.

so I click on my followed threads nothing happens!!

ffs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I was only thinking yesterday that I bet the clocks will go back an hour in October and the time stamp will get 'fixed' then by default before Boards actually fixes it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Yes

A bit like the clock in my car. I look forward to October every year because it means another five months of having an accurate clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

No

I’d love to see the average number of posts per day on boards before and after this upgrade. It’s been a complete disaster tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I thought the clocks were no longer changing? I thought March was the last time they move back or forward?

Advertisement