Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I get Fibre is my Cat cable not used?

Options
  • 22-07-2021 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭

So it seems I can now get Eir 1GB Fibre possibly, however my current connection comes to a white box on the wall outside and then internally there is multiple cat 5e cable runs back to this box from various phone points we had installed when the house was built.

For my current broadband set-up the tech installed a box in my office off one of those phone points, it like a dual connector for phone and broadband it was referred to as a "tech install" at the time.

Anyway, I guess my question is if I get Fibre will a optic cable need to come into the house also or the cat 5e cable can be used somehow from the box outside? (my issue with the box outside is that the wall that is now against that has had built in cabinets installed so drilling in from there will be problematic, if needed)

Advertisement