Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mira 8 Shower

• 22-07-2021 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hi,

Recently bought a house and there is an issue with the shower. There is a leak in the mixer and it is also very stiff to turn (see attached pic) and I have been onto a few different places, and apparently the parts needed to fix have been discontinued (mira 8 internal set/cartridge assembly (904.08)).

Is there any other way of fixing without causing too much damage/cost? - i.e. without damaging the tiles in the shower. The budget has been stretched already and need a cheap and cheerful solution until we refurb the bathroom in a couple of years.

Can the mixer itself just been changed (or more likely there is things behind the tiles that are all part of the mixer which couldn't be got at without damage.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Ross

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,861 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The Mira 8 is obsolete. I don't think any parts are available. Replacement shower is the best option

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Thanks Sleeper, is it possible to do so without damaging the surrounding tiles? All that is visible outside outside tiles is the mixer itself as seen in the pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,861 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's not the type of shower I do & haven't fitted one in decades so I'm not too familiar with what is out there at the moment. Id imagine it is. Even if the hole behind it had to be made bigger it's possible to get a stainless steel back plate made to cover any hole. Done right & it would look like it was part of the shower

Thanks, appreciate the info as its an area I have little to no knowledge whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

You could try taking out the cartridge descale it and replace the O ring seals and that might extend its life for a little bit.

Or, and you might be absolutely blessed with luck if I'm right...

But I might, big might, still have a brand new Mira 8 cartridge in a box somewhere amongst a huge pile of old stuff that needs sorting.

But don't hold your breath, it's all in someone else's lockup about 60km away from me and I don't often get over there to sort it out as I am up to my eyes.

So, try option A first and hopefully I can get over to that pile of stuff at some point to have a rummage.

• Advertisement

Cheers @K.Flyer will try the descale option regardless and see how we go. If/when you do make it over to the lockup please let me know if you get your hands on that Cartridge

Advertisement