Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Canned food

• 22-07-2021 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭

Can anybody suggest a source for cheap canned food with non peel lids?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Have you tried the Asian supermarkets or food warehouses? Like eurasia, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Seanachai

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not sure of this stopped but LIDL used to have non peel lids on eg baked beans. A checkout guy once pointed this out and that the non peel was 10 cents cheaper ..

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭GoogleBot

Out of curiosity why would you need cheap canned food?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I'm building up a pantry in case there are food shortages in the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Lidl, Aldi, Dealz, Musgraves. Don't bother worrying about the labels, take them off and use a waterproof 'sharpie' type pen to write contents directly onto the tin along with the BB date.

Rotate your stock accordingly, actually eat them and then replace what you like and what you didn't.

Sure but why cheap? Potentially metals may be leaching into your canned food.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,001 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Cheap price does not necessarily mean low quality content, and I'm sure all cans available meet relevant production standards. Is leaching even a thing?

Buy 100 tins of beans, save 10c per tin because no ring pull - bingo, saving of €10.

Compare brand-name bean prices to Lidl etc. own-brand - difference is massive.

When you compare nutritional details for each brand, there's usually very little difference.

Not your ornery onager

I would disagree, cans made of different type of metals, also some are laminated with plastic or lacquered

Rather look into dehydrated food options can be stored up to 5 years no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Bit late on this one but as I've kept an emergency supply of food for about the last 15 years I have some experience in the area.

The quality of where you store your supplies should be a major consideration. I store a lot of cans but don't have enough room indoors so some of it goes out in a shed. Inside it all stores better than outside. Most cans if not all are well protected on the inside from their contents getting out however damage on the outside including environmental damage can greatly reduce the storage life of cans.

Dehydrated dry food can suffer from poor original packaging, what seems to happen is the wrappers get damaged with micro perforations from the inside by sharp bits of the dried food. So I put cans and dried food into separate zip lock bags. Normally 3 cans to a zip lock bag and as many packets as will fit a ziplock bag. Everything in the shed then goes into large plastic boxes.

The result is that you can add 2 years or more to the best before date on most tins and about the same for dry food like rice, pasta, noodles, soups, dehydrated meals etc.

The only losses I've ever had are cans that have gone rusty and got damaged from the outside in.

Most tinned meats like Corned Beef, Spam, Bacon grill etc are good if stored well for another 5 years on their BBD. I've kept some tins and tried it. Obviously examine what you are going to eat and check there is nothing obvious wrong with it.

Other tins do just as well and I wouldn't be bothered about eating any undamaged tin that was 2 years past its BBD. As examples I've had most of what Aldi and Lidl sell as tinned fruit and veg that was 2 years past its BBD. I would mention though that my only major disasters have been with pineapples that escaped the tin due damp storage where the bottom of the tins rusted out. Once out the pineapples then attacked a good few other cans. Since then I haven't had that issue because the ziplock bags prevent the condensation that does the damage and if there was any damage it would be restricted to one bag. They also preserve the labels. I do however put the BBD, just month and year in large at least inch high numbers with a sharpie so I can easily check on the dates.

Another good thing to store that lasts really well is good quality fruit cake and good quality Christmas puddings. Well stored they are good for at least 2 years on the BBD.

Currently I'm working through some of my favourite plain chocolate bars (I have a small amount with coffee every evening) that are labelled use by 01-06-2019 they are fine, you couldn't tell them from a recently bought bar.

After a recent sort out there are a few things past their BBD that need rotating so there are a few 2-3 year old cans of, beans, chickpeas, tomatoes, tomato puree (tubes) and packets of noodles (only a year out of date) in the kitchen to use up. I never touch the noodles but my son eats them as a nighttime snack (he works at night) and he can't spot the difference between the old packets and the new, apart from some of the little packets of flavouring absorb moisture. Actually Lidl haven't had packets of noodles for ages now.

Unlike the original OP I don't have any particular issue with ring pull cans.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

As this seems to be a good place to post about cans I'll update with some info on some older cans I'm working through. I checked a box that I thought was full of camping gear and it turned to include some forgotten cans I'd put to one side to eat a few years back and then forgotten about.

Anyway just eaten and survived Lidl Tinned Peaches in syrup with a BBD of 2015, not a thing wrong with them. With a similar BBD I have a lot of tins of sardines in oil and tomato sauce again all are OK and it seems that Vintage Sardines is a thing https://en.mysardines.com/ces2020 (note to self must remember to turn them in future). I also found some tea bags with a 2016 BBD and was going to throw them out thinking they would be rubbish. Tried them first and they are still fine, I did double wrap the boxes with cling film and a zip lock bag so that might have helped.

Useful article I found on how long cans last. You can see from the Peaches you can go beyond the stated limits https://www.thenewsurvivalist.com/longest-lasting-canned-foods/ but really no need to if you do a little basic rotation.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Always choose the tins that need a tin opener. The ring pulls last a shorter time and are vulnerable to knocks.

Oh and the assistant at LIDL told me that eg baked beans are 10 c cheaper without ringpull

And of course at least one tin opener

I found this on youtube, one of the better videos on how long you can store food for with good explanations.

Advertisement