Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STEM - What happened to E (Engineering)

Options
  • 22-07-2021 7:59pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It seems to me that the only engineering involved in this so called STEM education consist of cutting things out, sticking things on or bolting some prefabricated component on to something else... use cross braces to strengthen a structure, pulleys & leavers to move a large object, differentials, gears... not clue, but experts with a scissors and glue.....

Apart from the programming bit, I can't help but feel these STEM modules in education are not up to much unless the objective is to produce kids that are really good with the scissors, glue and know how to go on line and buy components they can stick or glue together.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Are you talking about Primary and Secondary school STEM?

I presume you're not talking about university STEM

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Yep, say pre college. Even the lack of concern for the environment is surprising, no attempt at all at trying to recycle - just use the stuff once, buy more for the next project and so on.

I’m not a teacher, but as I’m semi retired, I agreed to help out on some summer tech the teachers courses to help out if they have problems. Pretty disappointed so far.

Advertisement