Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worm in my fish

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,809 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I had this issue before with one of the larger supermarkets. No interest or sympathy. What I established at the time was that a certain density of worms is entirely acceptable from a legal perspective. This seemed above that, but like it or lump it was the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

I used to cut a bit of fish and cod was the big one for finding worms. Although any fish that are bottom feeders will come across worms.I hate fish as a result but I suspect that if I knew more about the food industry I wouldn't eat at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not a pleasant experience at all. Unfortunately fish, particularly white fish seem prone to parasitic worms but these generally tiny, almost un noticeable. The OP"s discription of a large worm a little concerning as too is it surviving what I believe an appropriate cooking time (I'm a chef).

Whilst unlikely to have any come back from the supplier, worth however bringing it to their attention. I'm no expert on parasitic worms but from the OP"s discription it doesn't seem to be one. I was having my breakfast reading this thread, I think I'll skip it now :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes, quite common, but usually very small thin ones in my experience. You can certainly bring it to the attention of the fishmonger, but in reality there's absolutely nothing he can do about it as it's outside of his control.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

So they can spot the worm and not serve it or so that the worm is cut up and dead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭bmc58

Advertisement