Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Thread. No traffic, commuting, transport chat.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lack of intent isn’t an excuse.

does speeding relate to lack in intent ?

does driving without paying attention to surroundings relate to lack of intent ?

i could go on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

?? I was discussing common usage of the word "accident". In your view, what should it be reserved for, or do you think it should it be banned completely?

I think it’s obsolete. Its a lazy word, that makes excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,994 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

No, I didn't. I corrected the terminology of the poster, when I said 'crash or collision, not accident'. I didn't say 'this was not an accident '.

• Advertisement

Is there intent in speeding, or checking your phone at the wheel?

IIt should be reserved for truly unavailable events. The vast majority of road deaths are avoidable.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Now.

How about everybody shuts up and shows some respect for the dead woman and her bereaved family.

May she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Have you the coroners report to hand already? Give some respect to the dead and to the poor guy who was driving that truck

It’s not an unfortunate incident. It was entirely preventable and happened as a result of action or in action. A coroner’s court will determine what happened and measures put in place to reduce the chances of it happening again

in the past we used the excuse accidents happen , but by looking into them we realise that they don’t and we can prevent them.

• Advertisement

No, I have no information about what happened, just like everyone else here. That's why we shouldn't be using judgemental terms like accident when we have no idea what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

The driver and his passenger were shook up showing a lack of intent hence, accident.

I can't begin to imagine how guilty the driver is feeling.

Of course, I feel far worse for the poor victim and her family who will be greiving for years to come.

Having said all of that, trucks are covered with warnings to not come within range of their blind spots. Sadly, there have been too many deaths as a result of not heeding to these warnings.

Anyway, I will leave it there.

Just cause some one is shook up doesn’t mean it’s an accident.

e.g in a work environment, when kind of work is being down a DWA ( designated work area) must be set up.

perhaps a truck entering a busy area and reversing in a public area should have a DWA set up. A few cones and tape. That creates a safe area.

why do trucks even have blind spots ? Cameras and sensors are cheap

Jesus christ lads will ye shut up.

None of ye were there, none of ye have a clue. Puerile ghoulishness.

Imagine that the meaning of the word "accident" is being twisted by posters here and left wing policies to once again amplify the anti-car narrative. I'll take the dictionary definition and not the twisted rubbish nonsensical Irish definition.

The meaning of such words are often blurred by those with opportunistic and thuggish mind sets like those on the left who feign victimhood to extract money and sympathy from an increasingly gullible public.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

The word accident is used by people to infer not just intent but also a lack of fault. I didn’t intend to drive into the girl crossing the road but by looking at my phone, it was definitely my fault. It wasn’t an accident, my actions directly caused it. This is why EMSs have stopped using it and encouraged the media to do the same. There are very rarely true accidents where neither participant is blameless.

It’s not being twisted by anyone , you just need to look up “road traffic accident Vs Road traffic collision “ and re educate yourself

This isn't an anti-car narrative. It is an anti-dangerous drivers narrative, a narrative that is designed to not automatically let dangerous drivers off the hook with the 'there but for the grace of god goes I' kind of thinking that we've seen on this tread. No-one here knows any details about this incident, so what's the problem with using neutral, unemotional language like crash or collision?

So "no fault" in phrase "no-fault accident" is completely redundant, and the phrase "at-fault accident" is just wrong? We will also need a new word to cover events like people falling into holes or being hit by falling slates cutting themselves chopping vegetables etc., since some negligance will almost always be inferrable.

I’m not sure what you’re looking for when you argue this point. Emergency services and the media no longer referred to them as accidents, haven’t done so for years. The reasons for this are well documented as well as explained repeatedly in this thread. We can go round in circles a few more times if you’d like?

• Advertisement

We can’t just accept someone fallen into the hole.

Who made the hole?

why did the Person not observe the hole?

why was it not fenced off?

there’s always a reason , accidents don’t happen

Exactly - my point is that in common usage the word "accident" does not imlpy that there was no negligance or that none might be found in the future. It's use in this way provides avoids always having to use awkward phrases like "collision" in the context of a vehicle with a person, or a shorthand to avoid spelling out detailed circumstances such as "unfortunate fall down a hole" all the time.

The victim's name is known widely now. I'm not going to repeat it here. Because the lady deserves more dignity than she is getting here.

She leaves behind a husband, daughter and husband, two grandchildren and two great-grandchildren. Also four sisters and a brother and their families. And no doubt a lot of friends in her local area, about 4 kms from Dun Laoghaire.

And yet, in all your political and idealogical point scoring and your stupid f***ing semantic grammar lessons, none of ye since Friday have given two ****s that this lady was an actual person and that dozens of people are bereft.

You're all a disgrace.

What is awkward about using words like crash or collision?

Don’t be disingenuous. If you have a problem with a discussion on a discussion board, you can a) leave b) talk to a mod or c) debate it rationally. Invoking outage on behalf of someone by protecting your opinions on them didn’t do anyone any favours.

I'm not going to pander to the smart asses here over the definition of a word nor do I need to re educated myself @ted1. Then again, many posters here have had it in for me because my common sense approach to matters doesn't suit their narrative.

In any case, my thoughts and prayers are with the deceased, their family, friends and loved ones.

Can we move on from this topic?

its not a common sense approach. It’s a head in the sand approach. Ignoring that actions or inactions have consequences.

It's called stoicism. I don't subscribe to group think nor do I allow myself to be defined by the limitations, failures or misdoings of others. I do have sympathy for those who succumb to them unintentionally or where they do their level best to achieve something positive and it doesn't work out. Where exactly is your mind at when you talk of consequences?

A Preventable incident. A lesson learnt that can be acted on.

• Advertisement

Once again, my comments are being taken completely out of context. I wasn't referring to common sense in this particular matter. I sometimes think that my comments are half read or are deliberately misunderstood by those who disagree with my beliefs in tangible progress.

For example, the amount of times I see tangible measures of progress like capitalism sneered at by people on this site makes me cringe. Too many out of touch people who don't appreciate how economics work don't seem to realise that without capitalism, Ireland wouldn't have become as economically stable as it has today. Also, a lot of people in this country are comfortable with living off the wealth created by others while wagging their fingers at the very people and countries that create this wealth.

Back to the context of Dun Laoghaire and everywhere within a 3-4 mile radius.

When I see smart assed comments about scrutinizing the existence of trucks (the life blood of many brick and mortar companies) in the suburban fabric with social justice causes like health and safety, I will call you out on it. Yes, collision detection instruments and surveillance equipment should be retro-fitted to all trucks to alert their drivers of hidden dangers and thus, minimize recurrences of the tragic accident previously mentioned. Outside of that, any other form of contempt with their presence in suburbia is obnoxious and myopic.

Likewise, when I see people exercising scrutiny over the type of businesses (local vs international) which open up in certain locations, it irritates me. So long as it is tasteful and no historic structures aren't demolished, what is the problem?

The resultant lost job opportunities for those who would gladly take up this employment over contrived narratives like me heritage and collective identity crises is beyond stupid. Don't forget that these jobs give an employee independence, freedom and in many cases, the basis to build a life for themselves. Scrutinizing this at the alter of identity politics is selfish.

It is just the kind of stupidity that is lampooned in Father Ted. Keep stupidity and simple mindedness in fictional comedy and NOT the real world thank you very much. Otherwise, we wind up being the laughing stock of Europe. With the exception of those suffering from moderate to severe mental or physical disabilities, stupidity is not something to be honoured nor is it something to be proud of.

Advertisement