Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dun Laoghaire Thread. No traffic, commuting, transport chat.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You're not wrong, but whats happening now is the quickest way to deliver the homes, all things considered.

If BP had contested the case and won, it would have delayed things further to an eventual Supreme Court appeal, maybe a year or much more.

good news to some extent. anything that ABP gave permission for is now tainted.

Hopefully they will take another look at the monstrosity that the Rhatigans are buildings in Dalkey.

You kind of expect developers like the Larkins to crap on the neighbouring properties of the apartments they are building in Castle Park School, as they live the other side of Dublin and don't have to look people in the eye, but the Rhatigans are local and must have necks like a jockey's bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,473 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I agree with you here.

I think one thing to take from this decision is that we do need to reassess the wider scale of the damage being caused by not building them in the first place.

We as a society don't actually know what the wider impact of these decisions are going to be coming next as a result of these Judicial reviews being put on public record. We don't how many other properties that were meant to be built and completed, under the allegations of impropriety by the Hyde brothers, in other parts of the country.

If those 1,400 properties that are now not going to be built in South Dublin & Kildare is being now regarded as a starting point because of the incoming criminal charges that are coming to Paul Hyde. It could have wider implications for trying to expand the entire housing supply chain in this country as a whole.

We don't want this level of potential contagion to spread out to other parts of the supply chain either as many families and individuals around the country are currently looking at housing here at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Are you sure that Rathigan is locally based? I thought that they were Galway. They made a big fuss about their local credentials when they built the regional Garda HQ there recently!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Are there any tutors for charicture drawing or cartoonists in the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

What part?

its a good foot path that cost 18.4 million.

pity there no pool or baths and the jetty was built in shallow water surrounded by rocks which means it’s only useful on high tide.

it’s an absolute disgrace

All of it. Having said that you're entitled to your opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Incorrect engineers report with regards of drainage means that the works at the Killiney Hill Gate have to be completely redone, absolute idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Alias G

The pool is still included in the county development plan AFAIK. So one will hopefully go in eventually.

Post edited by Alias G on

im pretty sure Glenalybn is to.

the original cost was 2.5M. It came in at 18.4m

i can’t see a pool being built.

comical. They are only doing it in the first place as they couldn’t get the English right when building the other new entrance

councillors asked for wheelchair access to the church. And an entrance to the hill .

they got the wheelchair access to the church and a path with steps to the hill

There won't be a seawater pool retrofit into the 'Baths' site. Ever.

The whole thing has been a poisoned chalice since the start, the tussle between commercial exploitation or the money pit of a faithful 1930s rebuild.

As ever, the twain never meets in the local lobby blocks in DL and so we end up with this Camel by Committee, a Baths that isn't a Baths in a seaside resort town, that isn't a seaside resort town.

If we change the B to a p we get a pretty accurate description of the site. Dun Laoighre Paths

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

The Carnegie Library has finally found another use - IADT will be using it for tutoring and exhibitions

https://www.dlrcoco.ie/en/news/general-news-public-notices-press-releases/iadt-move-carnegie-library-d%C3%BAn-laoghaire

I believe that the church paid for that so it has wheelchair access. The steps up to the hill are just an add on.

without wishing to start "That" argument, it is pretty pathetic that they spent millions redoing a footpath with no cinsideration to cycllists and then fucked up the traffic of the whole area by introducing a cycle lane.

I bit of prior planning (I know, it DLRCoCo we are talking about here, but lets pretend they know about planning and strategy) and they could have incorporated the cycle lane in to the redevelopment and widened the footpath (that no one uses) along marine parade and kept the road two way, thus removing the permanent traffic jam between Sandycove Dart station and the People's Park traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Does anyone know the thinking behind the removal of parking spaces outside Irish Lights and across the road from IL?

There were about 15 or 20 spaces between the two sides of the road - now there's just a slight bit more grass area, and a huge wedge area of footpath that seems to serve no logical purpose.

Those spaces were always full when sailing/racing is on.

• Advertisement

No idea, but I'll bet it has to do with the Council being against anyone moving about anywhere and to anywhere, by any means.

I've been listening to platitudes these last few years since DLR took over the Harbour about wanting to open up the Harbour area more to the public, about making it inviting and interesting and having greater free public access to the water etc, but all the policies I have seen are doubling down on the exclusionary model.

I heard, in recent weeks, that Buses who could not find space at the busy Terminus and instead parked up in the Harbour behind the station to take toilet and meal breaks, received parking tickets from DLR wardens who now also control the Harbour area.

For years that was common practice and you might sometimes see two or three buses back there, causing no one any problems.

Its just more jobsworth nonsense from the Council, setting up bye-laws and other ordinances with good intentions, but being so inflexible, impractical and over-zealous with enforcement that it puts off first casual visitors, then regular customers, then businesses and service providers from bothering their arse to operate in the area at all.

I don't subscribe to the mantra that the Council killed Dun Laoghaire as a busy town, because I know full well the main factors behind it, but they really do not help in small ways, when they easily could.

Some further info on the "baths" and discussion regarding the omission of the swimming pool! I suppose really at the end of the day, it depends on the extent that people use it, as to whether it can be determined to be a success or not!

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/oireachtas/2022/12/09/dun-laoghaire-baths-will-reopen-after-17-year-campaign-but-shockingly-without-pool-dail-hears/

Bear in mind the swimming jetty is only half arsed. When the tide is out it’s just rocks. They didn’t extend it out far enough or they didn’t remove the rocks.

Half arsed yes.

Looking at Google it seems that the pier ends in sand. It also looks like this photo was taken at about half tide which would suggest that swimming from the pier would be possible except, possibly, in a strong Spring low tide?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,080 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just pointing out Clontarf got its Baths back and it looks very pretty when observed from the restaurant around it.

But the Baths are hardly ever used as it's a private facility without insurance (clubs can use it but have to have their own).

So if demanding Baths back in DL don't make the same mistake as Clontarf.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

What about this photo. Rocks at low tide, there’s going to be people diving off it . It’s just a hazard and danger

I suppose, just like other bathing spots, punters need to exercise a modicum of caution at low water? I'm sure that the Health & Safety dept. of DLRCC can come up with the appropriate warning signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Is there any chance that DLRCoCo might spread a bit of grit on the roads?

the place is treacherous

• Advertisement

Advertisement