Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best tree for swing in back yard

Options
  • 23-07-2021 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

I have 2 very young kids and I am looking to plant a tree that in 10 years or so, swings etc can be put on it. I don’t want a very large tree that will Cause issues down the line but a tree to do the above. Has anyone any suggestions or has someone done similar when they have very young kids?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not many, if any, young trees (and I'd count 10 years as young) would support swings.

No, can't see it really. Maybe a Goat Willow or Sycamore would make it, but these would definitely bring issues down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Nothing will get big or strong enough in ten years for a swing and not get huge in 20 im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭wildwillow

The saying that you plant trees for your grandchildren is so true!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

More likely your great grandchildren, I have trees planted 325+ years and even in 20-30 years time anything in the line of Oak or beech will still not be suitable. Ash may be provided the dieback dose not get to it. A birch or larch if you trim it will for your grant children, but for your own its a case of a steel frame and a tyre

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Have to agree with the others. I know most of the mature trees in my garden are about 20 years old and I would not put a swing on any of them. There is a massive granddaddy sycamore in the hedgerow which has a suitable branch and has in the past had a swing on it but the tree is probably 70 years old.

And as an aside, the synthetic rope that held the swing is still tied round the branch and I cannot get at it or near it to remove it, it is sinking into the branch and I will have to get someone with a serious ladder and suitable tools to release it.

Advertisement