Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Side Effects - What side effects did you get from your vaccine?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Pfizer

Dose 1: headache, high temperature, slightly sore arm with restricted movement

Dose 2: headache, high temperature, chills, sore arm, tiredness, diarrhoea, fast heart beat this morning and kind of have a heart burn sensation at the moment but not sure if this is a pulled muscle or not as I had another restless night of twisting and turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,527 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Well turns out there was a bit of a sting in the tail alright.

Was quite feverish during the night - complete with wild hallucinatory dreams - and woke up this morning with a crushing headache and feeling like I could puke. I felt intensely unwell, but, thankfully, roughly about twelve hours after the real after effects started they just levelled off and started to dissapate. Quite unpleasant at the time all the same. Ironically, zero discomfort in my arm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

J&J on Monday last. No arm pain or any of that. About 24 hours after the injection I felt warm and fuzzy for a few hours, like a low level fever without any fever, quite a pleasant feeling actually. Other than that no unpleasant side effects that I can see. Put it another way if I'd been vaccinated in my sleep I'd never have spotted any changes in me. Now after saying that, maybe my eyeballs will fall out of my head over the weekend. 😮😁

Going around those I know who've had their vaccinations, the J&J seems to be the one with the fewest symptoms of any and by quite a margin, whereas pretty much everybody I've talked with that got the two jab mRNA has noticed after affects, some of them quite unpleasant, with two who have sworn off the second jab because of how badly the first dose wrecked them. Hearing this pretty consistent trend was one reason why I held out for the J&J. That it is one and done was another factor in that decision.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Are they giving out the J&J one for free if you've already had the HSE ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Pfizer 2

10 hours since injection. Felt a bit off all day and got a headache earlier which resolved with ibuprofen but never get headaches so likely related to vaccine.

tiredness going on too. I’ve felt quite grouchy since about 5 o’clock.

I expect the worst is yet to come but I’m hoping my super smoothie will help with that. I have a bit of a drinking session to attend tomorrow so praying I don’t feel like garbage by 6pm.

this time around arm is fine. Very very very slight stiffness or bruising feeling where vaccine went in.

so far feel definitely worse than first dose.

going to take another ibuprofen now and head to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Marilynr2

I wonder will they still be settling them without admitting liability, like they have been doing with the swine flu cases. I'm not sure what options are available to them, but surely they should be admitting 'probable liability' or the law should be changed to allow them to do so.

The problem is when there are pays out for that kind of thing, without admitting liability, that leads to a lack of transparency, conversation and also trust!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They're all coming from the HSE and if you've already had the Pfizer or Moderna why would you need the J&J? Plus from what I've been told by a few pharmacies the supplies of J&J are essentially gone at this stage and the HSE won't be ordering any more. I was registered with a number of pharmacies for it and one by one they rang me to tell me that they had none left, with two telling me they'd switched over to Pfizer now. Then I got a call from one that had a cancellation for the J&J and that's how I got mine. They told me I was one of the last batch and there was none left after that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Pfizer 2

20 hours since injection, mild sleep hallucination and woke up with sore arm.

no symptoms

feeling ok

I really hope that’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Pfizer one

sore arm

pfizer two

slightly woozy for a couple of hours directly after and that’s it. Was grand!

• Advertisement

What's interesting to me is how quickly people report feeling effects of the vaccines. Within hours in a few cases. I can't see how that can be any immune response at that early stage of things. If someone is actually infected with a virus the incubation period between infection and symptoms of the immune system responding is very rarely less than one day, more like two or three and in some infections it can take weeks, even months(HIV an obvious one). So if people aren't reacting to low level anxiety/placebo type symptoms what is causing these reactions, some of which can be unpleasant?

There seems to be a difference depending on vaccine too. So the J&J seems to illicit the least amount of effects, the Pfizer the most(particularly the second dose). The efficacy of J&J is lesser than Pfizer, as far as catching mild disease anyway, protection against severe disease and death seems to be roughly the same. Is the stronger effect of Pfizer in play here? Though set against that is that the first Pfizer dose which doesn't provide full protection still seems to give harsher side effects. Is it a reaction to the different methods of delivery? IE is the mRNA route more of a temporary insult than the viral vector route? AZ another viral vector type spread over two jabs seems to have fewer sides too. Though clotting is more of a risk with the viral vector types, albeit an absolutely tiny risk.

I actually didn’t believe the slight wooziness was a vaccine reaction until some time later. It wasn’t bad at all. I expected more about a day later but absolutely nothing - I was 100%

I don’t really read too much into the reactions as I think that’s someone else’s job. Once it’s approved by the people who know what they’re doing it’s fine by me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I think Moderna actually has the most reported effects. The vomiting and nausea is typically 12+ hours later, I’d imagine it’s a reaction to a chemical component of the vaccine - whatever they’ve packaged the mRNA in, or used to stabilise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Are there any studies indicating whether your reaction to the vaccine might be an indicator of how severe your reaction to Covid might be?

About a third of people seem to be getting side effects according to an article I read. So 2/3 of people are not. But many Covid infections are asymptomatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

I wonder the same. If people react badly to the vaccine, how would they be if they caught Covid?

anyways I got Pfizer, nothing really in side effects, I was still able to look after 3 kids and an infant including night feeds etc, so I was happy with that. I guess we’re all different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

AstraZeneca - 47/F

1st Dose (11 weeks ago) - sore arm within an hour of jab, bit of a temperature that evening, next day felt hungover, had to take to my bed around lunchtime with flu like symptoms. Slept for 5 hours, woke up feeling much better but drained. Pretty much back to normal by day 2

2nd Dose (yesterday) - no sore arm this time, tired and felt warm so went to bed around 8pm. Feeling very dozy today but hoping no further reactions. If all goes well today will treat myself to a chinese takeaway and a film later 🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 42 GoWhest

Pfizer

First dose: No side effects at all. Not even a sore arm.

Second dose: Got it around 10am yesterday. Was fine until bedtime, was shivery in bed. Didn't sleep all that well last night so tired today but otherwise fine. Great excuse for a lazy Saturday 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Pfizer

1st - nothing

2nd - nothing except after 24 hours my left pit was really sore for 4/5 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Pfizer

1st - Slight sore arm

2nd - Extreme flu like symptoms - fever, sore throat, runny nose, headaches.. (Possibly Covid)

mRNA enters the muscle cells and immediately starts encoding for the spike protein which means it’s producing in numbers detectable by the immune system quickly. The viral vector is more similar to how a virus would operate however it does the exact same thing- produce the spike protein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

Male, 33, Pfizer

Dose 1 - Arm got sore about 12 hours after the vaccine, gradually got worse over the next 24 hours before subsiding within 48 hours. Felt perfectly normal then for a day before the migraines started, lasting about 24 hours, and then the lymph nodes in my armpit and neck on the side where I got the vaccine began to swell up very, very badly and were like that for about 5 days.

Dose 2 - Same again with the arm but the ache subsided faster, about 36 hours post-vaccine. Felt fine for two days before a staggering wave of fatigue kicked in. I've been in bed now for 6 days, even just getting up to go to the toilet is a bit of a nightmare, all my muscles are just absolutely wrecked and I'm sleeping 12 - 18 hours a day.

I avoided the feverish, high temperature side effects both times but between the swollen lymphs the first time and the muscle fatigue the second time around, fairly chronic! Hopefully I'll be out the other side of this in a few more days. I could do with a pint.

^ have you had a covid test?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

I haven't had a PCR, I've been in touch with two different out-of-hours GPs and my own GP a bit in the course of the last few weeks and all are confident it's just vaccine side effects, all this stuff is listed in the leaflet. I also have basically 0 contacts, just the wife and kid and they don't go anywhere so unless I caught it in the vaccination centre, I haven't been anywhere else. Missus got antibody tests and I've been doing one a day, they're all negative. It's definitely the vaccine, these are all known and documented side effects. I'm grand with all this really, even if it is annoying, because it means everything is working. This'll all clear up in a few days and it'll be well worth it in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Male, 32.

Pfizer/Biontech

Dose 1: Sore arm and felt slightly 'off' for a few days, no big deal.

Dose 2: Got the shot Thursday morning, felt nothing out of the ordinary until around 18 hours after the injection at which point I had the chills in bed and began to feel slight pain in my collarbone area and upper back which persisted through the day and really got worse last night to the extent that I couldn't sleep and kept tossing and turning. Although both vaccinators recommended getting paracetamol to reduce the pain from any side-effects, I didn't do so and ended up rooting around the house to see if I could find anything to ease the pain. The best I could come up with was E45 skin cream which I applied to the areas of pain and it did seem to reduce the pain (or I was experiencing a placebo effect) and I managed to get to sleep for around 4 hours, waking up with the pain almost entirely gone and now I feel fully 'back to normal'. Overall, second dose was an unpleasant experience but not very serious or debilitating.

1. Sore arm, fatigue.

2. The above.

I felt worse after the second one but that was because of additional factors: it was at the height of the hot weather, and I went on the lash. 🙄

I've only had one AZ so far. Fine until some tiredness and aches the next afternoon and evening. A bit like a hangover. Fine the next day. Was lucky compared to some others I know.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Of course , which is why a more accurate view is to look at "excess deaths" reporting.

People die all the time for lots and lots of reasons but in normal circumstances the death rate on a per capita basis is pretty stable , since Covid that rate has increased sharply.

Just because someone was going to die of Cancer doesn't mean that contracting Covid didn't result in them sooner than they should have , so Covid is the reason for their death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Pfizer, 36, Male

Jab 1 - Sore deltoid muscle (the one I got the jab in, obviously) which developed that night and lasted a couple of days.

Jab 2 - Exact same thing, except for it only lasted 1 day. Went to the gym the day after my shot and I started to run out of steam half way through my workout which would almost never happen to me, so putting it down to the jab.

I got my jabs exactly three weeks apart (New Zealand), had no other noticeable side effects.

Post edited by Dr. Kenneth Noisewater on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Should you be worried if you have no effects? After the first injection, the following day I could feel what is like a bruise if I pushed on the spot. After the second there was nothing. My partner had a sore arm both times but she had no other side effects. It seems odd that both of us had nothing, plus there was a case here where nurses have been caught injecting saline instead of the vaccine, hopefully this is not happening too often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Pfizer, mid 30's male.

Shot 1 - Sore arm, run the next day had a very lackluster performance. If I wasn't doing cardio I probably wouldn't have really noticed.

Shot 2 - Sore arm, noticeably fatigued for the day, less so the next day. Nothing the third.

Advertisement