Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MTB replace rear wheel advice

• 23-07-2021 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Hi there hoping that someone can help me out,

I have a cube 2013 slt Ltd 29er and I made shite of my backwheel and I need to replace it.

I think this was the spec of the bike I bought years ago.

More Specifications:

Frame: Alu Superlite 6061 AMF 29er, ARG-Geometry, double butted, disc only

Fork: Fox 32 Float CTD 29 O/C 100mm Headset: FSA No.10 semi-integrated, 1 1/8" Stem: Easton EA30 Oversized, handlebar clamp 31.8mm, 8°

Handlebar: RFR Flat Race Bar, 31,8x720 mm, 9°

Grips: CUBE Performance Grip

Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT, RD-M781-SGSL, Shadow 10-speed

Front Derailleur: Shimano SLX FD-M671-D, direct mount, Down Swing

Shifter: Shimano SLX SL-M670, 10-speed Brakes: Magura MT2 hydr. Disc brake (180/160mm)

Crankset: Shimano FC-M552 Hollowtech II, 42x32x24T, 175mm, 3x10 speed, bottom bracket SM-BB51

Rims: RFR ZX24 29er

Front Hub: Shimano XT HB-M756 

Rear Hub: Shimano XT FH-M756

Front Tyre: Schwalbe Rapid Rob 2.25

Rear Tyre: Schwalbe Rapid Rob 2.25 Pedals: Alu PD-971

Saddle: Selle Italia X1 Seatpost:Easton EA30 30.9*400mm Seatclamp RFR Varioclose 34.9mm

Weight: 12.3 kg

19-inch frame

My question, can I use the following wheel :

https://www.wiggle.com/dt-swiss-m-1900-sp-30mm-rear-wheel

Can I reuse the current cassette amd brake disk and put them onto this wheel.

Thanks in advance, 

Novice rider

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭comanche_cor

When you say ya made shite of or your rear wheel what does that mean? The rim, the hub?

If its just the rim, it may be possible to get it straightened.

If its beyond straightening, then you can get the rim replaced.

However, 2013 bike - it depends on how much riding you are doing, the hub could be close to being bunched also.

Best bet bring it to a good bike shop.

If it was me, I'd get a new bike 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

I buckled the back wheel fairly bad, I brought it to a show and owner said there is not too much that you can do. I think the cassette is fine.

I would not head out on the mountain bike too much, the odd time. I. Ant really justify buying from hunt wheels and spending nearly 500e

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Your existing wheel can surely be rebuilt. New rim and spokes. Sounds like the shop you went to couldn't be bothered rebuilding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

My question, can I use the following wheel :

https://www.wiggle.com/dt-swiss-m-1900-sp-30mm-rear-wheel

No, This DT swiss wheel is a tru axle while yours is a quick release.

Can I reuse the current cassette amd brake disk and put them onto this wheel.

Yes, and probably the hub aswell as others have said.

Getting a new wheel with that hub type sin't the easiest thing anymore and your best and cheapest option is likely to get the wheel rebuilt with new spokes and rim (not all bike shops will do wheel rebuilds) and if you post your area maybe someone can recommend one that does close to you.

I think this rear wheel will fit, but a picture of your current wheel is worth attaching.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/spank-wing-22-rear-wheel/rp-prod193762

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I'd be of the same view; if the hub isn't in a heap then there shouldn't be much reason as to why it wouldn't be a sound option to build a new wheel around the existing hub. Did the shop explain why they think there isn't much that can be done with the wheel @padair ?

• Advertisement

He mentioned that they don't do it as it would take too long.

I will take a photo off the wheel and post it here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Your hub spacing is 135.

You can get qr specific hubs built with the rims of your choice.

You can get pre built wheelsets but these arent usually great.

Or you can fit -7mm qr adapaters dt swiss sell teir own which should fit that wheel you linked or some of the mavic wheels come with them new

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭mad turnip

What county are you in? Picture quality isn't great, but does indeed look like a 135 QR wheel.

Wheel doesn't look too bad in the picture but buckling never does show up. How severe do you think it is? Is it just warped or has the rim got big unfixable dents in it?

As Tony said you can also get a ThruAxle to QR adapter (142 -> 135QR) like: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/dt-swiss-conversion-kit-12mm-to-qr-rear/rp-prod23858

I'm pretty sure these adapters are wheel dependent so make sure the wheel you buy is supported by the adapter.

goodluck

Advertisement