Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neil Francis

Comments

does beg the question who released the unedited version and why

seems more stupid than racist I would say and that Francis didn't know of Smith's ethnicity

also seems like the Indo weren't trying too hard to keep Francis tbh - maybe wanted shut of him anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Going by one of Luke's tweets he seems to think some sports people are there for his "enjoyment"

Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

People dragging Fitzgerald into this situation by trying to pin Franno's comments on him because they seem to have a personal axe to grind with Luke are something else. The only worse take I've seen than this is the lad who actually believes Fitzgerald personally edits the podcast and should have edited it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Fitzgerald's useless punditry should take him out of the game ordinarily, but as the old saying goes, 'a podcast never refuses bullshyt'.

it has made the bbc

Ugo Moyne weighs in the prick!

He should be more worried that tomorrow brings back memories when he single-handedly butchered the first test and effectively the 2009 series

• Advertisement

Francis was having a cut off pretty boy types rather than being racist. Loads piled in delighted to be seen as woke.

It's a shame, we'll end up with a very prescribed, sanitised language, dare I say it, devoid of colour.

AND, as for the OP taking umbrage at the word 'enjoyment'. Jesus wept!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

This is what happens when people share articles they disagree with or publicly vent their disgust in modern life. It gives gutter rags like the Indo more clicks and a situation like this was always going to end badly for a wind up merchant like Franno.

The Indo are getting no blame for leaving that comment in initially which is either careless or intentional. Either of which they hung him out to dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,727 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I would know Neil well, the Mrs is asian and knows him also.

We both think he is not a racist.

Too many people at home during the virus with nothing else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The Indo has been trying to get rid of some of their highly paid columnists.

Instead of paying a severance for curtailment of their contract, they just wait until the slightest controversial comments even if they are out of context

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Francis doesn't really deserve the benefit of the doubt at this stage and I certainly won't miss him.

As for the tweet in the first post - WTF is that supposed to demonstrate?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Going by one of Luke's tweets he seems to think some sports people are there for his "enjoyment"

What is this supposed to mean?!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,864 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

More PC/wokeness gone amuck. In the context of the conversation, he was talking about pretty boys more interested in image than in the physical attrition that no doubt is going to play a part in deciding the tests. If it was Beckham he probably would have referred to his hairstyles and tattoos skin, in this case it was his hairstyle and tan. Just shows how easy it is to offend, if the Lions players/staff are upset about this, God help them.

in relation to his articles in the Indo, I liked it because it wasn’t PC, he calls it as he sees it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Heres my opinion.

Based on the podcast its not a racist comment, its a comment born out of ignorance , lack of knowledge of his subject matter and his lack of research.

I believe that he simply didnt know that Smith was Filipino and he thought that he was another flash outhalf who loved the tanning bed.

Im not defending him, I think hes a fool who thinks hes edgy in his thoughts.

I cant for the life of me understand why hes employed as a pundit on the last word or the Indo, his knowledge of the game outside of Leinster is appalling, he doesnt even know players names half the time and im pretty sure he was in the LW giving his opinion on Connacht and admitted that he hadnt seen them play yet (half way through the season)

He should have been sacked for not knowing his subject matter and not bothering to even do some basic and I mean basic research.

His comments in the past on Irelands project players left a lot to be desired and his opinion on Gays in pro sport were cavemanlike.

Whoever booked NF on the podcast knew this and knew what they were getting and they too should face sanctions for their lazy attitude towards standards. (im aware of the irony of expecting standards from the Indo)

Hes no loss to journalism or to media in general, I never respected his opinion and his lack of work ethic was never called out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Maybe Franno and Eoghan Harris could team up with a podcast of their own as the Irish Richard Keys & Andy Gray

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I didn’t know Filipinos were people of colour , every day is a learning day .

what about the Spanish?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Mocking someone because of their skin colour is ‘PC/wokeness’ gone amuck.

He didn’t bother his arse looking into Marcus Smith and decided to mock his skin colour. If you’re going to do that then you better be sure of what you’re doing. He didn’t, made a stupid remark (on top of many other stupid remarks he’s made in the past) and he has rightly got what he deserved.

You play with fire, you’re going to get burned.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

every line of text he’s ever written is to stir ****

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

It’s a really poor reflection on the Indo. Luke Fitzgerald and two of their main rugby journalists sitting there listening to it and nobody had the cop on to say ah we better cut that.

I would think it was ignorance more than anything else from Francis but he’s been an ass**le for a long time so who cares.

I see it caused Ewan Mackenna, the simpleton, to have an absolute meltdown on twitter slating Paul Kimmage, Alan English, etc

He wasn’t talking about his skin colour though, he was talking about his haircut and tan, the ignorance as I see it, is that some cannot see the difference between a racist comment and one about image, they do not have to be mutually exclusive. Is it wrong to comment on a sallow skinned person who laps up the sun to get a tan, just because it might be construed as a racist comment? No it should not be, so yes, PC shite gone amuck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,388 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I see the free speech warriors have made it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭RamonD3

Looks like a bit of a setup to me, would be shocked if he knew about Smith's heritage or indeed commented based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

The Indo live in that territory, constantly on the edge or just over it clickbait. They are perfectly happy to publish or produce this stuff. They will sacrifice a contributor (wouldn’t call Francis a journalist), because they will hire someone similar to replace him. Why would they care what it comes out like, look how much interest they have gained in their sh1tty media now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

a setup? all he had to do was not make comments on peoples look and concentrate on discussing sport.

Post edited by expectationlost on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

So Fitzgerald must have been in on the plot, laying a trap for Franno by bringing up Smith in the confident expectation yer man would start on about Oompa Loompas?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’ve been in the company of Frano in a handful of occassions

a pure unadulterated gent.

Not a racist or mean bone in his body. I enjoy his punditry. He tells it like it is. I’d take him over lukey fitz any day.

I hope this all blows over and Frano stays on.

The Indo have sacked him so probably won't be doing a u-turn on that.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Well except for the time he referred to the colour of a mixed race man as an ‘Oompa Loompa tan’.

If you’re going to slag off someone’s skin colour you better make sure you know what you’re talking about, otherwise you deserve everything you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Nope those xenophobic and homophobic comments he made weren’t intended in a mean way at all. He’s just a poor misunderstood gent.

• Advertisement

The ignorance of it. If he slagged David Beecham, or the permanent-tanned Ronaldo for their tan, would it be xenophobic/homophobic/racist? No it wouldn’t, it would just be slagging him for being so image conscious. It’s only the PC/woke brigade that are making an issue of this, unfortunately the Indo caved to this rubbish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement