Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

I'd like to know how they are deciding on what they process. My UK delivery has been sitting there since August 31st. It's annoying it is being returned, but I wish they'd just get on with it so that it can be resent with a courier. Tracking still just says, 'we have your delivery'. If I hadn't asked I wouldn't know it was going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Btw, if you think the Irish/EU system is strict, the UK is worse.

If I want to sell to UK customers I have to set up a UK company and register for UK vat before sending anything.

So I, and many other Irish and EU online stores just don't sell to UK customers anymore.

So I can't see the EU making it any easier for UK companies to sell into the EU when they have worse restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

To add to what Convolved is saying the Royal Mail has come up with an interesting method of dealing the large amount of Xmas Cards that have insufficient postage , people even using 2nd class , for Ireland

If you look at the postmark date on them they have a mid December post date but given that they don't have a return address and I presume they are not allowed to destroy them because they technically are deliverable the Royal Mail just holds onto them for a month or so before releasing them to An Post

That means every year there's a fair of UK Xmas cards being delivered in Ireland until the end of January .

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RollingSun2000

I replied to you on page 13 about this: LINK

You can try Tenso (not Tenso Japan, different company) or Blackship.

Blackship offer Fedex and DHL, which seems to get past the sorting office problem.

As others have pointed out, using AddressPal you would pay customs and Vat (+ fees) on the package going into the UK, and again coming into Ireland. It might be cheaper, easier and much quicker in the long run to use the mail delivery service I suggest. (not to mention, it will open up opportunities to buy from Japanese sellers who don't mail outside Japan).

• edit: added links to Tenso and Blackship, and added the last paragraph.
    • edit 2, I meant much quicker.

Yeah that's my point though. Short of a very deep trade deal if the UK political stance ever changes, this is the new normal. It was the old normal until 1993 too, albeit we didn't have online shopping.

The smaller retailers in the UK will just lose business. There's definitely scope for someone to make it to easier though by creating systems that work reliably to preclear.

In general both the Royal Mail and An Post seemed to be very flexible on those cards and so on. Neither organisation strikes me as wanting to actually annoy people, especially around Xmas.

I've seen Irish UK bound cards arrive with an N stamp or equivalent too, so I assume An Post just lets them through or sends a few large bags over late too.

Given the volume, I'd suspect returning them or even stopping them is probably not worth the hassle.

In the past I've also had plenty of UK prepaid parcels delivered with UK only postage. They really didn't seem to be all that bothered with the odd item.

Irish shopping needs to move back into the EU, but in a lot of cases I'm finding more obscure EU retailers won't ship beyond their domestic market or near neighbours or have steep shipping costs that render it cheaper to just pay the tarrifs etc

Some are great but it's hit and miss. That being said, we had to rely on Parcel Motel a lot for some UK retailers too. I think we can paint too rosy a picture of pre Brexit shopping too.

It would be very handy if someone could setup a cost effective Parcel Motel like service maybe somewhere like Germany and France. It would open a lot of options that are currently closed.

In fact, I think there would be a demand for something like that in more than just ireland. A lot of non central Europe is difficult for stuff like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Finally some coverage from the media here

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/an-post-blames-brexit-and-eu-customs-for-delivery-issues-following-criticism-1.4671803

The equipment I need for workshop on Thursday has now been returned to U.K. or will be returned in the coming days.

This leaves a number of people with me out of pocket a few hundred euros each.

frustrated As equipment is sitting in warehouse only 30km from me and I could have collected it and sorted out the paper work if needed .

• Registered Users Posts: 43 maeve99

I ordered a skin cream from India and it's says on the tracking website that it has been sorted but then 'We have your delivery'. Has it been stopped by customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Archeotech

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/an-post-blames-brexit-and-eu-customs-for-delivery-issues-following-criticism-1.4671803

Irish times finally covering it now.

This below has pretty much always been the case:

-------

"Revenue said postal operators or courier businesses delivering imported goods are required to complete “relevant customs import declarations on behalf of the importer”. It said these declarations are based on information provided to by the exporting party. It said where postal operators don’t have enough information they can contact the exporter or importer to get it.

“The postal operator or courier service may also choose to re-export the goods to the country of origin if they do not have sufficient information to ensure the completion of the import declaration.”"

-------

And yes they can send them back but it's only meant to be a last resort. Word I hear is An Post has no more storage space as I mentioned in an earlier post so they're just sending them back instead of processing them through customs procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Maybe now it's in the IT maybe LL might cover it...unless there is a some 50 year old deaths that need to be covered

It needs more coverage as this thread as shown, with the newcomers, there are a lot of people out there experiencing this

"Revenue said ... where postal operators don’t have enough information they can contact the exporter or importer to get it"

Or in the case of An Post just send it back and pretend they tried to deliver it while sometimes collecting customs etc and still sending it back

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

Royal Mail in discussions apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

They're sending stuff back with zero attempt to inform the recipient. I Had my replacement sunglass lens from The Sunglassfix co. In Australia returned. I'd paid extra for DHL delivery, but they just handed to An Post. AN POST tracking says ' we have your post', then 'your delivery has been sorted', then nothing. No delivery. For three weeks I tried email, calling to post offices, non functioning web chat. On a revisit to the post office, I was given a green form for missing post. Before filling it, I spotted a real phone number on it, 01 7057600. Spent days ringing. Finally got through on the 25th August by ringing at 8.00am. Was told my parcel was flagged as returned. No reason given, other than 'insufficient info' wtf? I'd previously received goods from the same company, fully filled C22 label. DHL tracking ended at handover. Said it was not their problem. Oz company offered to repost when it arrived back and they figured what was wrong. They've not had a single return from the entire EU after1st July except mine, but they haven't got it yet. Then I check the tracking to see where tf it's gone, and I get this.

One month 3 days later, it's here! Except its not. My Post box is empty. So after two days of phoning, I get a very nice lady, WFH, kids in background, who digs deeper and says it has a missing TARIC code. In a nutshell, if it doesn't electronically scan the label and get all the data, its shagged into a return bin, I don't think a human actually looks at it to see if the info is there, smudged, whatever. Back it goes. To Australia. I had the Taric code from a previous packet to hand if someone had phoned or emailed, or put up a notice on the tracking, (900150; plastic goggle lens). Then I rechecked the DHL tracking, and there it is. Back in Germany, in the DHL warehouse. The lens company responded to all this info with a full refund, tg, it was €66 worth. An Post just pretend they've delivered it on their tracking, so their stats say they've a record of compliance. The word on the net is than anything that returns to DHL international forwarding centre in Niederaula, a monster facility run by Swiss Post to customs clear incoming non EU stuff, is that it ends in a Black Hole. Don't go contacting them either, they don't do rummaging for your stuff. I've been lucky, but it's an effing disgrace, DHL are clearing stuff to EU standards, but our own minions on customs are back in the 70s, looking to torture the public. Like in the 60s when they used to confiscate Irish Butter brought home by visiting Irish emigrants, because it was a third the price in the UK. Well I remember my Uncle steaming in the kitchen, because the customs had taken the 6 blocks from his case, a gift to my mom. He said they'd be on sale in Moore st within a day. We're back there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gary Owen

I used to buy a lot from this crowd https://www.brickwerks.co.uk/brickwerks-blog/updates/ in the uk but they have stopped selling to the republic , it’s a disaster.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

This probably won't make the most pleasant reading.An Post returning packages from outside the EU

Rather than trust the tracking, you should contact them via the web chat.

Without a doubt if its there more than 2 weeks. Ring 01 7057600, first thing in the morning. GIve them your tracking no. Ask for every detail of the reason it's being held, assuming it's not gone back. Offer to supply that information. If it's a taric code missing, try here, and have it in advance. https://www.anpost.com/Commerce/Parcel-Solutions/International-Parcels/Find-a-TARIC-Commodity-code

I get the impression though that the customs minions are unanswerable to anyone, the Anpost staff can only tell you what popped up on their system, and I suspect that's the output of a scanning machine failure to read the label. No human ever touches it, its just pulled off the conveyor belt into a skip for returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

They've gone and done it to me again....

Ebay purchase for my business, all taxes paid, ioss number etc included.

My business is suffering because of this.

• 13 Sep 2021
    • 13:21
    • Undeliverable - returned to sender
    • IPZ Niederaula, DE
    •  DHL ECOMMERCE
    • 07 Sep 2021
    • 10:28
    • We could not deliver your post. We will try to return it to the sender
    • ATHLONE MAIL CENTRE, CO WESTMEATH
    •  IRELAND POST
    • 25 Aug 2021
    • 13:10
    • Departed from local distribution center
    • IEDUBA, IE
    •  DHL ECOMMERCE
    • 25 Aug 2021
    • 13:10
    • Your delivery has been sorted
    • DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12
    •  IRELAND POST
    • 25 Aug 2021
    • 12:57
    • We have your post in
    •  IRELAND POST
    • 25 Aug 2021
    • 12:56
    • Processed at local distribution center
    • IEDUBA, IE
    •  DHL ECOMMERCE
    • 25 Aug 2021
    • 12:56
    • Your delivery was received by An Post in
    •  IRELAND POST
    • 24 Aug 2021
    • 13:54
    • Arrival in country [destination country]
    • Ireland
    •  DHL ECOMMERCE
    • 24 Aug 2021
    • Arrival in country [destination country]
    • DUBLIN FWD, IE
    •  DHL ECOMMERCE
    • 24 Aug 2021
    • Arrived at destination country
    • Ireland
    •  DHL ECOMMERCE
    • 23 Aug 2021
    • 04:08
    • Processed at transit facility
    • Germany
    •  DHL ECOMMERCE
    • 23 Aug 2021
    • 04:08
    • Arrived at terminal location
    • FRANKFURT, DE
    •  DHL ECOMMERCE
    • 23 Aug 2021
    • 00:28
    • Your post is leaving a sorting office for delivery in
    • IRELAND
    •  IRELAND POST
    • 29 Jul 2021
    • 08:11
    • Processed at transit facility
    • United States
    •  DHL ECOMMERCE
    • 29 Jul 2021
    • 07:54
    • Processing completed at origin
    • Melrose Park, IL, US
    •  DHL ECOMMERCE
    • 28 Jul 2021
    • 18:12
    • Processed
    • Melrose Park, IL, US
    •  DHL ECOMMERCE
    • 28 Jul 2021
    • 06:00
    • Package received at DHL eCommerce distribution center
    • Melrose Park, IL, US
    •  DHL ECOMMERCE
    • 20 Jul 2021
    • 11:34
    • En route to DHL eCommerce distribution center
    • United States
    •  DHL ECOMMERCE
    • 20 Jul 2021
    • 11:32
    • Electronic notification received: your order has been processed and tracking will be updated soon
    • United States

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

"Revenue said postal operators or courier businesses delivering imported goods are required to complete “relevant customs import declarations on behalf of the importer”. It said these declarations are based on information provided to by the exporting party. It said where postal operators don’t have enough information they can contact the exporter or importer to get it.

“The postal operator or courier service may also choose to re-export the goods to the country of origin if they do not have sufficient information to ensure the completion of the import declaration.” "

That's a very disingenuous comment. With this issue now entering mainstream media the key should be to shame them from a carbon footprint/climate impact perspective in addition to highlighting the impact they're having on small businesses.

I tried the 01 7057600 number and it seems to give a tone that suggests the line has been disconnected?

Thats just an old fashioned landline 'engaged' or 'busy' tone. Very rare nowadays, most exchanges just reroute, play music, divert to voice mail etc. I guess 'all their agents are busy' to the extent that they can't even send you that message. I think that line is open from 8.00, or is it 9.00? I last rang it about 9.30 last week, I was 17 in the Q, so I just listened to the music for 20 mins.

Fwiw, 9 days after my packet hit Anpost on the 5th August, DHL sent this email to me on the 14th, which went straight to Spam unfortunately.

"Dear Customer,

We're sorry to let you know that your package which arrived on 14/08/2021 will be sent back ,

This may happen when the receiver's address is incorrect.

To submit a redelivery request for this package please fill out the form in our website.

Check This Now

NOTICE:

Please note, that if a redelivery is not scheduled within 48 hours will be refunded."

Had I have seen this, I may have had a chance to intervene with DHL and correct the missing info, assuming they had a clue as to what was wrong on the C22 label. As it was, I had rang DHL after this date to find out what was going on. The agent just quoted the tracking up to when it went to AnPost, said that's all they knew, though they been contacted by AnPost on the 14th to try and rectify the situation. The Agent never mentioned this email, likely because it had no tracking reference, other than a 'check this now' link which expired before I discovered the message a month later (today). So check your Spam people, if your packet has been routed via DHL in Niederaula, Germany. You may have a chance to send in the missing info, though I personally believe it’s the result of failed electronic scanning and character recognition. Perhaps the labels are meant to have a QR code on them with a summary of the data

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

BTW, if you want to track an item use something like.... https://parcelsapp.com/en

Or.... https://www.17track.net/en

They have a lot more detail.

Is there any chance to intervene with An Post at all if you cop what's happened quickly? Like I have a package that is reported to be in sorting on 9 Sept. Usually it would have arrived this morning but it hasn't progress onwards since the 9th. In the event that it lacks a TARIC code would it already be on its merry way by now or if you called An Post and gave them the TARIC code is it possibly to save the situation?

• Advertisement

Who knows? This is new territory since July 1st, when, in hindsight AnPost practically promised a cluste***k on the millions of packets that were probably not scanning other than the tracking barcode but were being delivered anyway. We were warned that they would fail.

One would think now it appears to be evident that their approach is out of kilter with other European postal services they ought to adopt a laissez faire approach to avoid reputational damage until they can put a proper (and carbon friendly) infrastructure in place to cater for packages in this scenario.

I'm currently trying to get through to them on webchat and went from an hour estimate at 16:00 dropping down to about 15 minutes at 16:45 then its steadily climbed back out to an hour now and keeps getting longer. Does it even operate after 5?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

I doubt it.

I had a parcel arrive in Dublin on August 9th and sat there making no progress.

I suspected the worst, so I mailed An Post to ask them if they had everything they needed to release the parcel and if not, I would have the missing info supplied

to An Post within a couple of hours. The ignored the email for several weeks, and without ever getting a reply, they returned the parcel to the sender.

To make matters worse, the sender informed me that they received the package back with the "Documents Enclosed" pouch, cut open and the documents removed!

BTW, this sender is an online supermarket supplying expats all over Europe with British food brands and experts with correct documentation. Their business depends on it!

Their parcels are currently flowing into every other EU country, averaging 3 day delivery, while EVERYTHING sent to Ireland is returned.

The angles that need to be pushed and brought to the attention to politicians and the media are:

• Carbon footprint/climate impact;
    • Reputational risk as no other European postal service is doing this; and
    • Impact to small businesses reliant on supply chain from outside EU.

I'd keep it succinct and matter of fact if you're e-mailing a TD and cite the IT article.

Also, why only in Ireland? My supplier has not had a return from the entire EU, only from Pixieland.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,580 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I saw all that but hadn’t seen anyone charged for the customs but then had package returned?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hammerheart

My sister just got a package from China that had the hs tariff (TARIC) codes attached. Take from that what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It has happened to a couple on that thread and to quite a few on twitter.

I just got off webchat with An Post about the package I'm concerned about. I'd be 90% certain it has no TARIC as I dug out the last package I got from that retailed a month ago and noticed there was none on the C22. The agent assured me a couple of times "it has passed customs and cannot be sent back" and it's on its way to the local delivery centre. I noted to him that other people have provided tracking shots that say its on its way then the package gets returned. He just reiterated it had passed customs and he could see no issues. Will be interesting to see if it shows up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Anyone have any issues with paying customs online only to have your customs reference not recognized? Im waiting on clothes from USA and I got a mail saying I owed 23 euros and have 16 days to pay it and it included a tracker ID and customs reference. The tracker ID goes in fine but no matter how many times I enter the customs reference I get a message saying its not valid. I checked spelling, made sure the 1 was a 1 and not an I. Left spaces, no spaces, nothing worked.

I havent read the whole thread so maybe this is an issue too but its very annoying, can you just pay in the Post Office? But then if i cant get the number to work, how would they!

Advertisement