Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭andrewfaulk

They have the benefit that the office despatching the goods at the origin point is part of the same organisation and likely uses the same operating system or environment..

So the system at the origin point likely doesn't allow the booking to be created unless a HS code has been added.. I was booking a largish shipment with UPS and it wouldn't let me progress the booking without filling out the goods value and HS code fields

Meanwhile on An post, for exports they state the HS code is optional for a shipment to the UK or Japan(the two I tried).. The info you input when booking creates the CN22 or CN23 label to print on the box..

And the Royal Mail online booking doesn't mention the HS/Tarriff code at all when creating a parcel to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

Eamon Ryan. Hope it works for you. I've clocked up 9 ignored mails.

He's my local TD so I'm just lying in the long grass waiting for his next canvassing call. Then I'll get his full and undivided attention!

Do you have a source for the fuel saving part of the story? Am familiar with the story, but from memory the saving actually occurred due to buying less olives!

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Blow by blow for you.

1) Go to https://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=en#

This screen will open

2) If you know the HS code, enter it in the goods code box.. If not, click advance search, which will give a drop down where you can enter text.. Also change origin to where goods are from, I assumed UK manufacture so have entered this.. the click " Retrive measures)

3) This is the result.. Doesn't seem to have an restrictions or regulations that need to be complied with.. To me, they aren't prohibited for Import so I don't see what the issue is..

For reference, here's what an item would look like it if had restrictions or regulations that need to be complied with to be imported into the EU..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

My Fed Ex order from Buyee Japan arrived a day early, sharing incase this helps anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

Hi,

Thanks so much for taking so much time to do this. I'll read it in detail asap. I've no doubt it will clear away most if not all my confusion.

Many thanks again and very kind wishes

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

@andrewfaulk , so what you're highlighting here is that Royal Mail have no apparent capture for an exporter to have a TARIC captured electronically when sending to the EU? Is it possible their system automatically translates the description you enter into a TARIC?

Well the web-booking on their website doesn't request it.. Feel free to try it at https://send.royalmail.com/..

I can't speak for in branch or for EDI booking/integration like some of the bigger shippers would be likely to have..

I would think unlikely they have it automated.. TARIC is a lot more complicated and detailed than just taking a simple product description like "book" or "Dress" and translating it into a HS code..

For example, the word book gives 23 distinct results

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

I finally received a response to my email of 8th September to the eCommChargeQuery address, which I had been referred to by an An Post twitter rep. I asked for a specific reason why the electronic customs declaration on my UK parcel was deemed insufficient on two attempts to send it. The response:

"The Taric code used was incomplete, the sender will need to refer to their exporter to rectify this."

I will pass this on to the seller who is willing to ship again, but is holding off shipping for a third time until they get some answers as to what is going wrong. I don't know whether this will be of any help to them or not.

• Advertisement

If it helps at all, Tarriff codes can be 4,6,8 or 10 digits long depending on the product..

Do you have the product or HS code and I can give you an example to explain this?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

Taking your example of the Royal Mail webform EU requirements create an incumbency on the parcel carrier handing the parcel over to An Post to be able to capture and remit the appropriate data. If you use that webform it's likely no TARIC data is being remitted therefore when An Post scan the barcode it will have to be returned?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Have a parcel from UK that has now been sorted 8 times in Dublin Mail office since start of month. No request for VAT.

I just received a VAT payment request (not a scam) from An Post for a parcel from See.Sense in the North. I though we didn't have to pay any import VAT on goods coming from Northern Ireland. Is this a new level of incompetence from AnPost ?

https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/brexit/information-for-businesses-trading-with-ni/vat-trade-with-ni-after-transition/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭blade1

between tariff codes,ioss numbers and XI EORI numbers it's no wonder it's a clustef**k.

You surely know your XI EORI number,yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

I hear Michael O'Leary is going to make every passenger take a dump before they board their Ryanair flight. Should save a good few quid in fuel.

An XI EORI number is an EORI(essentially customs ID for a company) number issued to an NI based business.. Basically flags the shipment as originating from NI with its weird customs status..

VAT might not be due but duty might be if the goods are not of U.K. or NI origin

LOL. I sure do. Contacting AnPost via email, phone or twitter is a dead end. I can now either pay the VAT, hope it's delivered and then try to claim the VAT back. Or course a good chance it gets returned if I pay the VAT anyway. Or choose not to pay the VAT and hope it gets returned and try again. I will contact See.Sense and see what they say. They are usually very helpful.

Incidentally I don't think An Post's normal postal service is up to scratch lately either. Mother waiting 2 weeks for 3 books sent by Eason and they got sorted in Dublin Mail Centre 3 times. 4th time lucky and they got delivered today she tells me.

They needed an ioss number from me recently. I emailed it and had my parcel delivered 2 days later. They were looking for vat but the sending off the ioss number sorted that out.

Guess I will need to wait for See.Sense to get back to me with their XI EORI number. Can't believe not listed on their site. Then I guess email back An Post and hope someone reads the email.

Yes, its Neyokyo, which I believe is a sister site to Buyee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Seems amazon have given up, my last 3 orders are with dpd instead of an post (amazon prime U.K.)

No they haven't.

Got 2 Amazon parcels today by an post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Weird maybe it depends what storehouse they come from

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

How long are people seeing it takes for a returned package to get back to seller - in my case Ebay seller in UK- and does it reappear on Royal Mail tracker when back in UK?

My tracker has it being returned to sender from Athlone on 10th Sept and no updates since. I've DMed Postvox on twitter but have heard nothing from them- message sent Friday.

So right now I'm down €100 with no package, no way to request refund and no information

• Registered Users Posts: 8,192 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

My package from UK is also on tracker since 10th September as 'we will try to return to sender etc. I've emailed an post 3 times since then for an update. They replied to the 1st email but not to the last 2. I've emailed Supplier who don't know what the problem is as this is the first time they've had this issue with an post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

In complete contrast to this 'stringent' campaign of ecommerce intimidation, I just received from Amazon a refund of all the VAT and estimated duties on a pre July 1st purchase of a TV pedestal stand. It looks like they discovered the price excluding VAT and estimated customs fee of €4, both of which I paid, was under the €22 limit, as delivery was free (it appears in the Irish VAT calculation, then is removed as a prime discount). So I paid neither to no-one 🙂. Nice-one, but alas, a Last-one ☹. Say hello to 10% duty plus 23% VAT plus €3.50 admin on trivial purchases, assuming they're not returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Yes the Royal Mail tracking will pick it back up when it's on the way back to sender. For my parcel from the UK the timeline was:

First attempt: arrived Dublin Mail Centre 9th August, marked for return to sender 16th August, back with Royal Mail 29th August, received back by seller 1st September.

Second attempt: arrived Dublin Mail Centre 27th August, marked for return to sender 5th September, back with Royal Mail 15th September, received back by seller 17th September.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I sell online, when customers need to return their goods, I buy a label from their postal company and email it to them. I have only don't this from the US / UK and Belgium. When you buy online from the Royal mail, it prompts you to fill out a CN22, Picture attached. It doesn't ask you for HS codes etc, just the description and value.

When sending from the US, I fill in an online PS Form 2976, it does ask for HS codes but it's optional. I don't have an example but here's the instructions I follow, I need to log into my USPS account to send it, so it's all prepopulated with my products and HS codes and prices.

I am not missing any packages thankfully, but on the UK Etsy and Ebay and Amazon forums, it's a disaster. Some people are missing hundreds of parcels and large letters

and have many returns on the way back to them. Most bought postage through Click and Drop (Royal Mail)

Parcel Force and Royal Mail are cutting the back off An Post to their customers, there is no other way to put it! ANy sellers I have spoken to have moved to courier and are having no issues, but they have upped their delivery charges to reflect this.

https://ibb.co/RS3j2kD

https://ibb.co/MCx3KL4

https://ibb.co/0V6Lys0

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kev765

Was looking into one of my items that was returned to sender 17th of August going back to Japan because another item with the same seller that was sent back later(7th September return to sender message appeared for that one) is just back in Japan now in the last few days and seemed weird this older one wasn't yet. An Post tracking shows no update since then but Japan Posts tracking is showing the latest message as being "import stopped" in China on the 3rd of September.

Anyone else seen anything like that so far?

Starting to fear they may have "returned" it to the wrong country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It's just the UK VAT number with XI instead of GB 945 4903 02

So: XI 945 4903 02

Advertisement