Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

It landed back with the retailer today. Ive asked for it to be resent by courier with the correct customs info this time

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

I had to go to the FSPO just to get BOI to give a final response one time. The FSPO basically contacted BOI and prompted them to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Good to know though, I didn't know they could speak for you I thought they just did like mass investigation or give out procedures (like how they work going forward)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

I can beat that. Am now at 16 "we have sorted your parcel in Dublin mail centre." 16!!!!! What absolute morons. The good news is I got a refund a week ago from Ebay after the seller ignored me for over a month.

No idea how a Comreg complaint goes but I presume it's an equivalent process to escalating with the FSPO with a bank. Provide Comreg with the evidence you asked for a full response but that AP are ignoring and not facilitating a complaint being made.

• Advertisement

Sigma Sports said they would send my parcel again by courier. First time round I paid the import VAT up front and was told guaranteed no extra charges by Sigma. They clearly don't know an Post who wanted Import VAT despite an IOSS number and all the other gubbins in place. So I refused payment and it's on the way back eventually to them.

Also, the morons at an Post wanted me to pay VAT on some items from See.Sense in the North. I know some places are bringing stuff into the North that originate in the UK. But See.Sense have their own details on their parcel to identify the products are coming from the North. I ignored the request from AnPost (it wasn't a scam email either, I checked), and it showed up anyway.

In terms of issues I am having with explaining to or getting Asian sellers on board with pushing their shipping agent for compliance does it make more sense at this stage to have items shipped to the US An Post Address Pal address and then export to Ireland through that facility? This is the only way to avoid double VAT and ensure the export to Ireland has been carried out with AP compliant customs data standards? It seems illogical to have been railroaded into having parcels sent to America just to get them into Ireland but I can't see another cast iron guaranteed path?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

FFS, its still travelling through the system or it eventually got returned? This is unbelievable even by Irish standards, their system cant spot when this is happening or nobody there is questioning shuffling packages back and forth like this?

They said on a reply on twitter DM it was with customs, big backlog, and had no electronic declaration, only a physical one, so customs may return it to An Post for delivery to me, or reject it and An Post returns it to sender.

But from reading this thread and Twitter if you contacted customs they might say An Post is lying!

• Advertisement

As I have not been contacted by AnPost to pay vat yet I can't do what's called an MRN lookup on Revenue as I don't have a number to enter.

Last parcel I paid VAT on was returned, and when I did the lookup it said my parcel had cleared. An Post lied to me and told me Revenue rejected the parcel and that is why it was returned.

Can I ask one more question and Ill stop annoying you please, if I order the same thing from a company in France instead of the UK will it get to me as normal or will this happen again?

As France is part of the EU, your parcel will arrive. I had something arrive unscathed from Germany last week and AnPost delivered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭comerla

I went to place an order from a web shop in Canada and Ireland wasn't an option amongst the usual list of 100+ countries. After querying this I was advised they will no longer ship to Ireland as deliveries have recently started being returned for no reason by customs. Previously there were never any issues.

What the hell is going on?

This is a major problem. Every day more non-EU retailers decide to opt out of delivering to Ireland. How do you even restore confidence and get the message out there that these merchants can come back to sending here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

There is now zero certainty of having non EU post delivered, they've even sent stuff back to Northern Ireland, which is in the same country. I'd love to see some stats on percentage returns from Ireland, and the same percentages for non EU returns by other EU countries. If they're not identical, it proves AnPost is messing up. We're entitled to the same reliability of delivery as any other EU country. Has anyone been presented with the actual label/electronic data discrepancies as proof of their return decisions? Best I got was a verbal from the agent (over a week to get through) that my Taric was not correct or valid. I don't know if it was the electronic one, the label one, a misread by a scanner, or if a this was just an automated decision resulting in the conveyer dumping my packet in the return skip. If AnPost were in charge of baggage handling conveyors (quite similar systemwise) you'd likely never have your luggage at the other end. Two weeks in the same jocks, while your bags are sent home!

Thanks so much, I know you dunno exactly but it's an idea of it.

I've made complaints before but never had this, ignorance to an issue, it's mind-boggling especially to do it on Twitter where we can all see it

Quoting my own post above regarding MyUS.com.

Received a further email from them that clarified that they are set up to process electronic customs data via DHL and FedEx if anyone is tempted to try it...

The difference between MyUS and Addresspal is you can store multiple items with MyUS and get them all shipped at the same time, (for a small extra fee).

I've used them before for single items, (never multiple) and the price is much the same as addresspal, only they give you the option of who you want to ship your items.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Mr321

3 months until Christmas An Post 🤐

• Advertisement

It might be three months until christmas, but a lot of people will have started buying for it already, not knowing about this.

I hope Santa's workshop is set up to provide electronic customs data in advance. 😕

As if the elves haven't got enough to do.

I got a Taric code was invalid or missing response as well from An Post customer service on my parcel from US to Ireland. No answer to why it cleared Dublin processing and sat in Portlaoise before they sent it back through London. 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭labrik

I'm waiting on a resend of a cd package from the US. Last week on Wednsday An Post tracking stated that the package was in Dublin and they'd sent on customs form: (See below) . I haven't received the customs form in the post or by email. I've checked my gmail spam and all mail. How long does it take to get this form? Is it usually sent by post?

27 September 2021 13:29

Your delivery has been sorted DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12

27 September 2021 13:27

We have your post in DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12

24 September 2021 16:35

Your delivery has been sorted DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12

24 September 2021 16:31

We have your post in DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12

24 September 2021 16:30

Your delivery was received by An Post in DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12

22 September 2021 13:42

Your item is in Ireland. A customs charge has been applied and details have been sent to you. You can pay the fee on our website, or at your local Post Office.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭thelordgod

I had a parcel arrive from China yesterday. According to tracking the charge was applied on Wednesday and I received the email on Thursday. Check your junk mail to be sure.

For anyone else wondering the package must have had an electronic declaration as my email address was not on the CN22 so it must have been supplied at time of posting. I hadn't paid any VAT at time of purchase as Aliexpress don't seem to be keen on refunding it if An Post charges it a second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The last two notices I received for customs owed, it came via a letter. Think it was the day after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Most Chinese mail comes in via Europe first, either Belgium or the Netherlands, hence why they aren't getting stuck.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

So my package finally arrived after being sorted multiple times over the space of a month.

A week after delivery of the package I got a demand in the post for VAT/admin fees of €4+ with the usual pay up of else advisory, followed by a second demand a week later.

I've ignored both and good luck to AnPost returning to sender something they've already delivered to me.

Absolute joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

To be fair to An Post how can they be expected to correctly manage customs for every piece of junk that arrives from outside the EU, particularly from China? I guess the situation has been gravely impacted by Brexit, with is again outside of An Post's control.

I got an Aliexpress ordered package this morning that was only scanned as received in Ireland at 9 o'clock last night. Went from there to being at my door 12 hours later. Never seen a package transition so fast. Throughout all of this mess every single package I've ordered on Ali has come through with no issues save for one package sent via the Silk Road route which was scanned in the destination after Russia on 30 Aug and hasn't showed anywhere since (destination not stated but I think it lands first in the Baltics in the EU?). It seems the relabeling in Liege is sufficient to ensure parcels meet An Post standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

A demand for €4.00+ means they calculated the VAT at 50c+ so the goods were valued at slightly over €2! That or they realised your supplierhad already forwarded vat to revenue here or in the EU elsewhere. Its perfectly possible that non EU goods forwarded via Netherlands or Germany are still being stopped ( like mine) because revenue are not happy with the VAT rate applied, were 3% higher than Germany, as you'll see when you buy from Amazon.de, the rate goes up. I've no idea how they're dealing with stuff from non EU that's cleared in mainland EU, but some here say they've had full VAT demands despite the goods coming from Internet One Stop Shop suppliers who collect and forward the VAT.

Advertisement