Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Good angle. An Post even pushed their 'partner' suppliers in their web release dealing with the new customs, it's easy to read it now as saying, " Buy only from Amazon/M&S/Boots/RiverIsland or we'll **** you over". That's what they've being doing since July 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mattie500

No problems for me since I moved to EU suppliers for items I can’t get here. I have ordered from both France and Germany and the items were delivered by An Post. These were small retailers so inter EU “seems” to be ok. I have given up on the UK since they left the EU except for Amazon and that is only if Amazon are the seller. It simply isn’t worth the hassle to see if things get here.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

He also said this:

Alternatively, where sufficient information to complete the customs declaration in not available, the postal operator or courier business may choose to return the goods to the sender. It is a matter for the relevant postal operator or courier business to determine, based on its business model, how to deal with instances where they do not have the data needed to complete the necessary customs declaration.

And there are clear warnings all round the world that this is what can happen.

I'd imagine he meant that the information is not available after you've contacted the importers to at least have a crack at supplying it, having been informed exactly what info was remiss. None of this happens. Post Office staff will look up your packet at the counter and say, " being sent back", and they have no clue why. Nothing on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

This is great if it works for you, but for many of us an EU-based alternative source doesn’t exist. For example, i’ve been buying second-hand records on Discogs for over 15 years with numerous no-hassle purchases from sellers in the UK, US, Japan, and Australia. Now, all of those sellers and their inventories are not available. I’m still buying items from within the EU (with no issues to date) when i can but the EU sellers don't always have the items i want. Just seems a backwards step to suddenly limit our purchasing capacity to within the EU only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

The answer he is giving looks like its from Revenue's perspective so he would be the Minister responsible for that aspect. Also seems from that answer that An Post blaming Revenue is misleading as they make clear the carrier has discretion with how to deal with missing information if they could be bothered to try and source it manually (as has been mentioned here previously). Of course Eamon Ryan should also be answering on behalf of An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Anything up yet about what was saidoes it normally take a few days? Only saw the Kildarestreet link but was for the 29th, checked the sites but just says Dail resumes Tuesday if I check Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I've a German package stuck in sorting since the 15th of last month.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Germany is part of the single market of the EU so it should not be subject to customs/revenue delays.

Unless its being forwarded through Germany from outside the EU. Stuff cleared in the Niederaula customs facility for distribution around the EU is still being sent back by AnPost

• Advertisement

Donohoe gave the same answer to another question on 21 Sept. Reading the question, it could have been written by most of the people on this thread. I don't see how O'Ríordáin can state that what An Post are doing is "unprecedented internationally". How would he gather that information from every other country?

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2021-09-21a.422&s=customs+and+excise

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I also use Discogs quite a lot picking up vinyl from all over but it was mainly the UK. It is very annoying to be limited but I am resigned to the fact that the recent changes just won’t go away. The UK decision has repercussions for their businesses and subsequently their customers. I’m sure the rules never considered me buying a few second hand records but more the large suppliers sending vast amounts into the EU without paying their share of duty and vat. An Post should up their fees for manual intervention and make the supplier pay. I don’t want to be dealing with the hassle as a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

Apologies if this has been highlighted before.

Green leaflet from An Post.

Guide to shopping online implicitly states:

"The retailer/sender has not included elcetronic customs data with the item.

When this happens, we are unfortunately unable to deliver the item and must return it to the sender."

This looks like a change from the earlier policy of contacting you for an invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭paddy19

The alternative less hassle higher charge option is to use addresspal.

Obvioulsy the disadvantage is you pay Irish VAT on the already paid UK VAT.

The Irish VAT also included the shipping cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The large suppliers like amazon were already collecting the VAT and submitting it to the recipient country.

But probably less than going through a process to charge VAT plus €3.50, and then find that half of the parcels will be refused by the addressee. This is what happened in Sweden in 2018, with 400,000 parcels with VAT being sent back over the course of six weeks. It seems that the international practice is to fill containers with returns and send them back by sea mail.

https://www.thelocal.se/20180416/sweden-forced-to-return-400000-packages-to-china-and-other-non-eu-countries/

If every other EU country is assessing 100% of parcels, and charging VAT plus admin fees, then that must have provoked outrage among Gilet Jaune types. But has this made the media anywhere? Maybe other countries are letting everything through free which would have been VAT free pre July, so no reason for protests. But not good for revenue protection from an EU point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

I have another item (bought from a seller on Amazon) that now requires a payment for the additional VAT required by An Post. I have messaged and emailed An Post asking them to confirm that the issue of sending back packages after fees have been paid by the recipient has been addressed and will not happen again. Going by the timeline on Twitter, it’s quite clear it’s still going on, but I want a response from An Post. I am almost certain the correct documentation was not included on the package, as the correct tax was paid at the checkout so I am also assuming the electronic code or whatever has not been submitted. You should be certain that this has been identified before requesting VAT charges though, surely?!

The more rope An Post give us the more we will have at hand when the time (hopefully) comes. I cannot see this issue being solved in any way shape or from by An Post so I plan on gathering as much information as I can and sending a letter to my local TD. I’ve never written to a TD before but I feel very strongly about how An Post have severely handicapped us and sent us back decades with this carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

Just by way of contrast. I was online Friday and spotted same thing I'd ordered from UK for sale in Malaysia, with DHL down as postage option.

Took a chance, bought it with estimated delivery of 4 to 6 weeks, but today get a message from DHL with package number, tracker etc saying will be here Thursday!

So just to compare - for US$30 DHL can get a package from Malaysia to Kikdare in less than a week (if it arrives, I'll update later). While Royal Mail charged stg£15, got mail to Dublin in 2 days, An Post took 8 days go process, and 2 weeks to return. If this keeps up couriers will take over more and more business from An Post

you bought the package from amazon but is the seller outside UK and the EU? If they are then Amazon have not paid the vat in advance for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Of interest, one of my 2 outstanding deliveries from the UK arrived today… some children’s stickers from an artist on Redbubble. They arrived in an envelope (about size of average birthday card) and had a CN23 form with a 10-digit HS tarrif # and a declared value of ~£10. No VAT or customs fees were sought (or they haven't been sought yet).

I wonder if this flew under the radar due to its shape and size (ie, didn’t get lumped in with the packages and parcels)? Anyway, pleased it got through.

I think this suits AnPost. They get a pittance for delivering international packages. Previously most just flowed through without the need for customs/vat assessment. I have no problems with AnPost insisting on packages coming from outside the EU to be done in their specific way and if it isn’t then make the seller pay.

you're comparing a service that cost €30 with one that costs maybe 1/10th of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Seller is in the UK, have dealt with several other similar sellers in recent weeks with no issue from UK sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

But it isn't. I put relevant prices in my post. By mail was stg£15, by DHL US$30. Not a massive difference

Edit: and just to add, when it comes to pure value for money- the one that delivers wins. Paying into the lottery that currently is An Post non-EU packages, is just that, a gamble that may not get you anything

by mail from malaysia would be many multiples less than $30. that is the only comparison you can make. A lot of asian countries pay little or nothing for international parcels by posts. Hence why we have so many packages coming in from China and similar. An Post therefore receives little or nothing for processing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Johnstaf

My package has arrived. It was returned so I had it resent, but USPS wouldn't accept the code I gave the sender. It had a CN22 with no codes. I payed the VAT and Duty last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

They sort my package every 2 days, its been sorted 7 times now, 5 emails ignored, 10 Twitter DMs and public Tweets all ignored. Useless incompetents,I wouldnt give a sh1t now if they all get laid off and replaced with private contractors, they deserve it.

https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Track/History?item=RN802132730GB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

Currently beating my head against the wall!

J.C. it's unbelievable. It almost proves my point that these things are arranged by the Boys Club. It was the same when the Irish Times "awarded" him businessman of the year!

Advertisement