Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

I did bring it back, and it was unopened. The (very nice) lady in the post office told me CN22s are now gone, everything has to go on a CN23 irrespective of value - even though it still says CN22 can be used up to €300 (I think) on An Posts website.

But I did have to pay the full postage again, as whomever returned my package, invalidated the stamps by drawing through them with a blue pen.

I did email An Post about that, but as expected, got no response.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

@chicorytip

I posted a A4 size envelope to the UK today containing only documents, standard postage cost €3, and they still attached a CN23 to it.

In fact, the same very nice lady in the post office today told me their systems are crashing almost daily, because their systems were not built for the pressure of the amount of data input that now has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dammij

I just wondered if this is An Post only outbound or does it also apply to imports?

The reason I ask is because I received a magazine today and they used a CN22.

Some senders ask me what the Irish requirements are.

Now I don't know what to tell them!!

Any advice / clarification / facts / updates welcome! Thanks!

It wasn't the lady in the post office's fault, she couldn't do anything about the stamps that had been defaced, and there would have been no point in my taking it out on her.

I will follow up on the email to An Post about it again, though, with the receipt for the new postage I had to pay. Not expecting much, though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Scandalous that they made the stamps unusable

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Seeing as it didn’t make it out of the country, and they accepted in the first place?

Then item was intact and unopened, but the stamps had a line drawn through them with a pen.

I know that Royalmail in the UK consider this as franked, and it is done to prevent stamps from being re-used. I assume the same applies here.

The lady in the post office said they couldn't be reused, so I'll take her word for it.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭deezell

Letter says "without additional cost". The error is their's.

MOD - Split posts off to the Incorrect clearance thread, as they haven't been returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Long time readers if the thread might remember I contacted ComReg regarding the parcels being returned and the new AP system.

unfortunately it appears that it falls outside our regulatory remit in that the services used (the parcels appear to have used EMS which is a service ComReg does not regulate) and that there are matters related to Customs and Revenue, which also are outside our regulatory remit.

• Advertisement

Update on the above -

Finally got a reply from An Post yesterday on this advising me to return to the post office to resend the item - but they obviously never read the email I sent because they completely ignored that I had already done that. They never referred to or addressed the issue of the crossed out stamps either.

In other words, exactly what I expected. Absolute waste of time.

I believe this is where An Post jumped the gun and tried to implement the new system way too early:

http://www.aircargoweek.com/postal-operators-and-carriers-gearing-up-for-ics2-face-challenges/?mc_cid=84560c364b&mc_eid=82ee698461

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

• I thought they had sorted this out. looks like it's not.
    • Back and forward to the UK twice in four days. Royal Mail are not taking it anymore, just sending it straight back to An Post.

• 21 Sep 2022
    • 02:13
    • Item Leaving the UK. Your item is now leaving the UK. More information will be available when it arrives in the destination country
    • United Kingdom
    •  ROYAL MAIL
    • 21 Sep 2022
    • 01:13
    • Your post has left An Post
    • DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12
    •  IRELAND POST
    • 19 Sep 2022
    • 20:32
    • We could not deliver your post. We will try to return it to the sender
    •  IRELAND POST
    • 19 Sep 2022
    • 12:04
    • Item has left the overseas International Processing Centre
    • DUBLIN DELIVERY, Ireland
    •  ROYAL MAIL
    • 19 Sep 2022
    • 11:38
    • Item received at
    •  ROYAL MAIL
    • 19 Sep 2022
    • 11:37
    • Your item is currently with Customs in the destination country
    •  ROYAL MAIL
    • 19 Sep 2022
    • 11:36
    • Item Received
    •  ROYAL MAIL
    • 19 Sep 2022
    • 11:04
    • We could not deliver your post. We will try to return it to the sender
    •  IRELAND POST
    • 19 Sep 2022
    • 11:04
    • Your delivery has been sorted
    •  IRELAND POST
    • 19 Sep 2022
    • 10:38
    • We have your post in
    •  IRELAND POST
    • 19 Sep 2022
    • 10:36
    • Your delivery was received by An Post in
    •  IRELAND POST
    • 17 Sep 2022
    • 01:08
    • Item Leaving the UK
    • LANGLEY HWDC
    •  ROYAL MAIL
    • 17 Sep 2022
    • 01:07
    • Item Received by Royal Mail
    • LANGLEY HWDC
    •  ROYAL MAIL
    • 16 Sep 2022
    • 17:37
    • Sender preparing item
    •  ROYAL MAIL

See how the RM and AnPost drones consider this is all about them, like two kids fighting over a toy. Their whole purpose, their customers, are collateral damage. An inconvenience. Their jobs would be so much easier if they didn't have to deal with stupid people. You really ought to send this log to the media. Idiots need their heads banged together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Looks like they got me here. It was a memory card reader that a friend of mine sent over from the UK for a project we’re working on. It didn’t even get to my DSU so am suspecting a customs issue.

It must be impossible to personally send Xmas gifts from UK to family here.

As suspected. This is ridiculous, it's not as if I'm trying to flout customs or anything. I'm willing to pay whatever it is. I'll have to get him to resend another way now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,569 ✭✭✭bassy

Guys bought a small engine part piston on Amazon com and got a an post tracking number and checked just now and it's saying at Dublin mails centre and item is saying returning to sender,what's this all about and who do I need to contact to get my item?

And I should have said I did not use address pal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

You should have received an email from An Post requesting custom charges. Contact them immediately to explain. 'Return to sender ' usually means they think you have refused the shipment.

• Advertisement

Never got a email from an post.

What's best way to contact them ??.

We decided in the end that I'd just order what I need from an EU seller rather than trying to send stuff back and forth. Such a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭dam099

If you purchased from Amazon.com then they should be handling customs, did they add Import Duty Deposit to your order value?

was a 3rd party seller on amazon.com and no it was not added at end of payment where you some times see where it says no import duty tax etc

i contacted an post web chat and the told me nothing the can do,the item is going back to seeler cause the never declared all the relevant stuff meaning customs etc

guys know its off topic,but whats it like to buy stuff from aliexpress.will i get stung for customs like i did on amazon.com where some 3rd party sellers on there dont seem to cover you for customs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Aliexpress take care of the customs for you. They include it in the price at checkout. I've never had a customs issue with Aliexpress.

Aliexpess have all tax paid in advance, so it should come straight to your door.

Their biggest problem I've had is returns. If the stuff is wrong/faulty/sh¡te, you end up paying postage to return, but only IF they decide your case warrants return.

I only buy items that wouldn't upset me greatly if they didn't work.

Sh¡te in other words! In fairness the really cheap stuff is OK, and I've bought some decent electronic items like car OBD scanner cables which were so cheap, the one in 5 that was faulty wasn't worth worrying about.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't quite use those words but you have to be aware of the limitations of where you are buying from.

Advertisement