Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

He clearly says packages that were returned will now be assessed for customs, 'paid on delivery' just like it always was. This returns epidemic was never just a UK thing, but he's implying that better UK implementation of the new system, which is basically advance vat and duty payment, now clears the way for non compliant packets from 'third countries' to have duty collected ( and vat I assume) before delivery, rather than just blanket returns. To me he's saying that the reduction in the volumes of UK returns means they can do their job, and inspect and assess packets from all parts if the world that may be a bit less sophisticated in their mail service. Charge an admin fee. Add vat. Add customs duty if you have to but don't just return it without a glance. Anyone who believes their guff wants their head examined.

Thousands of people had packets returned which had ten digit codes in them. Now they'll delivery (subject to payment) packets with NO code? Read the quote again.

'While packages without the 10-digit code required from ‘third countries’ such as the UK were previously returned to sender, recipients will now have to pay customs fees when they accept delivery of items'

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Yeah I read that article yesterday and think they are full of bull. I can't post parcels from USA. Last time all the codes etc were present and correct and An Post just arbitrarily sent it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Anyone know the latest on this?

I had non EU business refused to ship to Ireland because of this nonsense. I've managed to convince them that they have changed their approach. Absolutely disgraceful stuff from an post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Probably would have been better off to convince the seller to follow the correct procedure when sending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

He's a small seller from Thailand. As he said himself Ireland is the only country insisting on this shite and why should he bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I'm in pretty much the same situation. A small package value c.€125.00. Bought from a Czech Republic trader,but despatched from Turkyie.The package was sent on 12th Feb and has travelled back and forth twice via the U.K. before finally sticking fast in Dublin Mails since 1st March. Finally got confirmation today via An Post's Facebook A/C that the package will be sent back AGAIN because the TARIC code is incorrect/missing.At NO point was ANY contact made with me regarding duties in spite of the parcel being less than 10 minutes from my home !!! At the very least whomever An Post's CEO is,he should be charged with crimes against the Climate wit respect to the amount of Excess Carbon generated by this spiteful,nonsensical,antisocial codology,and perhaps a class action could also be pursued against the Entirety of the "Revenue Commissioners" whoever they may be. Never mind Joe Biden visiting us,what Ireland IS now famous for is spiteful corporate begrudgery against the general public by a clique of 2nd rate degree holding omadáns who haven't the decency to take ownership of this load of bollyx !

Post edited by AlekSmart on

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Probably better to wha......? Are you having a laff ? A small to medium business in a far off land,clearly writes a label meeting their own Postal service's requirements...with CRYSTAL CLEAR description of the contents,hell if the same Irish Postal/Customs Official bothered their ass to open the damn package,they'd immediately confirm the presence of a MOTORCYCLE SCREEN....as described on the shaggin label ! Has Pfizers jab rotted ther brains from within or wha? Is this State so flush with talent that it's paying Civil Servants to practice nonsensical codology before applying for any further promotion ??..."Convince the seller to follow correct procedure when sending " ???? Is this Mr An Post.....? ..NO !...Let An Fruxxking POST do the convincing ! 😡 !!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

The whole point of this is to strangle direct to the consumer trade from non EU sources. So non eu suppliers and manufacturers can only confidently export to Ireland if they appoint an Irish distributor or agent, registered for vat etc, who acts as the middleman, arranges commercial shipping and pallets etc, and... your screen costs you 4 times as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mara24

Does anybody know if parcels from the UK are now actually getting through or are they still being sent back?

• Advertisement

Think I read that UK trade by mail is down to a fraction, so the AnPost plan has worked, their execs are all getting the kind of awards that the Chinese party men get for suppression of individual freedoms, and Anpost are promoting their own ludicrous cash cow, whereby you can guarantee delivery by using their Addresspal, you send your goods to an AnPost UK address, now paying UK vat, and they will bring it over for a delivery charge, add Irish vat to the goods price, UK postage , UK vat, forwarding charges, admin charge and possibly Duty. This way you'll get your goods, just a huge amount dearer. Al Capone wouldn't have thought this one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I have got six in a row without an issue over the last three months. All posted via regular Royal Mail from Ebay / Discogs sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭LeeHarvey

I have had two packages in two days returned to sender. One was from the USA and the other was from China.

The package from the USA was returned because there was one item in the package not listed on the TARIC and the package from China was returned as it had "screw" singular written on the TARIC instead of "screws" plural as it contained a bag of ten screws.

This isn't my own assumption of what happened - this is the facts as told to me by a very matter-of-fact individual by the name of "Alex" in customs who was quite justifying of the totalitarian actions taken and just hung up on me, I was not yelling or abusive.

Although I imagine it will have little effect - I have went ahead and made a written complaint as An Post does not accept complaints by email or over the phone.

I have found more and more EU sellers who wont ship to Ireland because of this BS.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

EU Sellers? They don't have any of that documentation to fill out.

I've spent a week trawling for some parts for a lawnmower, cable and wheel bearings. Parts here are only available to order with a two week minimum lead time, and double or more the price. I found all the parts online, but only on UK sites, and not one will deliver to IE. I further found them fitted to a different brand of mower, Hecht, which is big in Eastern Europe. None of the Latvian, Czech, Slovak, or even Austrian sites will deliver outside their own country, and the CZ sites are a third the price. Its maddening, so much for the single market. Anposts Addresspal is a ripoff for UK forwarding, with Vat on the Vat, admin charge and possibly duty, funny how their packets all sail through.

OohPod.ie which replaced parcel motel at least allows you to post to a locker in NI, but you must head up there to Joneboro to collect, they're barred from forwarding without customs, more Vat etc. If they put a locker near Newry train station I'd be on the pigs back, I'm retired and have my free travel pass. I could become an Old Age Smuggler.

Yes EU sellers from Italy, Spain, France and some German sites I am on do not ship to Ireland. I have even emailed these stores and asked in case there was an omission, but nope, just won't ship to Ireland.

In fairness, a lot of those I looked at don't ship to any other EU country either, except historical trade neighbours. Slovenia ships to Czech and vice versa mostly, Latvia to Poland, Austria to DE and non EU Switzerland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,391 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, you could ask them the reason for that. But it has nothing to do with tax, customs or paperwork requirements, because there aren't any.

Prior to Brexit a number of UK suppliers of power and garden tools, machinery and parts had stopped shipping to Ireland due to fraud, and claimed non receipt of the goods. The stuff appeared for sale on various websites within days of receipt, or at one of these pop up stolen tool markets. The bogus buyer demands a refund or cancels the card payment sayng it was deliverd to someone else's house, yard or caravan, or the courier was met by an impostor, or whatever. I was pleading on the phone with a small business whom I had bought off before for a hard to find part, and he just wouldn't post it to Ireland. They'd lost thousands of £ in these scams.

Well, I must be on some kind of a list or just on a miserable streak of bad luck as I made an order to a French company today with UPS as the courier and the package made it as far as the depot in Toulouse and was returned to sender.

No explanation just "returned to sender".

I am firmly of the belief there is some kind of change or tightening of regulations or directives in the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

What does this have to do with an post returning parcels from outside the EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭dam099

Tightening of regulations or directives would have the opposite effect for intra EU trade, they are all about a seamless single market.

Because I have had three packages returned in as many weeks, two by An Post from outside the EU, and now on topic with what 'Peregrinus' had said - UPS returned a package to sender that was sent within the EU.

It's a bit much that I never ever had a package returned to sender and now I have three in about a month, so it's not just An Post.

Would the contents be on a dodgy list, maybe something that would upset a scanner.

First package from the US sent with USPS/An Post contained a t-shirt, some Twinkies, stickers and a toy part. Package from China sent with Cainao/An Post had some imperial thread screws, and the latest package was an airsoft gun sent with UPS from France.

Nothing illegal or above Irish limits and laws in regards to the airsoft gun, i bought it in France as it was cheaper than Irish airsoft shops - even INCLUDING shipping from France!!

The airsoft replica was sent via UPS from France and I just found out they (UPS) have recently changed their prohibited items list to include replica guns, the package made it from the shop in Toulouse to the local depot where it was XRayed and sent back to sender, it has since been re-sent with GLS.

I've been ordering airsoft replicas from France, Italy and San Marino and Poland because of the FAR cheaper prices for years without a hitch, now regardless of contents of each package its snag-central.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Richardc9052

Ordered a part from Malaysia. Got a letter to pay customs fees as expected.

Paid them online and was told we will now deliver to "insert my address here"

That was on the 25th. Just checked the tracking and it's now in the UK on its way back to Malaysia??

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Richardc9052

Oh come on......

And to make it worse, because it was incorrectly marked as unpaid (even though I paid the charge immediately upon receipt and tracking admits this) the senders insurance won't cover the package to be resent.

Fantastic

I've a small packet from AliEx languishing in An Post since the 24th July, at least that's when Belgium post, the intermediary customs clearing destination, said it was sent to them. Bought on the 18th June, 12 days from China to BE post on the 30th, 24 days there, and 17 days and counting in Anpost limbo. Ali yesterday updated their tracking to say it was received by the destination service on the 4th.

Of more concern, since the 4th, I have received two scam requests for customs charges using fake sites with AnPost logo, one by WhatsApp and one by text, both to my mobile no. MOD: <Snip> less of the allegations please. Familiarise yourself with the charter. You also have the almost identical post in the Aliexpress thread. Please don't cross post across multiple threads.

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,559 ✭✭✭bassy

How do you know it's with an post as the tracking number you get from AliExpress is no use on an post tracking.

I'm waiting on a package I ordered the first week of July and nothing since,best laugh was the next day I ordered 2 items from AliExpress and the were here 2 weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Cookiee

I've the exact same issue with AliExpress and bpost! They apparently sent it from Belgium to Ireland 10 days ago, but there's no further scans and nothing on An Posts system yet. Not sure what's happening! I also have a scan from 4th of August saying it's in customs, maybe our packages are in the same batch

Advertisement