Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

It hasn't gone away

Letter from today's Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Scanners

Definitely hasn't gone away. One of my orders sent from the UK through Royal Mail is being returned to sender. I got the same ole "failed the electronic customs clearance due to insufficient documentation" from An Post. They claim it was missing the tariff code, item description, weight and value of item. Got onto the seller and they assured me all information for the electronic declaration was filled out and correctly. They're a reputable seller so don't feel the need to doubt them. Very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭poker2k9

Has anyone ever successfully claimed via complaint or smalls claim court against AnPost?

And do all packages sent by other international couriers (FedEx, UPS), go through the customs team that manages AnPost customs?

I had some items sent from Japan that contained a condiment dispenser that looks like a toy (it is a character from an animation)

Anpost has rejected it via customs twice saying wrong HS code because they do not understand that it was a condiment dispenser. Admittedly the first time we sent it, we didn't know what to call it, so we found the TARIC for Salt & Pepper shaker, so on the electronic form, we called it "Soy Sauce, Salt & Pepper Shaker" and used import code 3924100020 (lifted it off AnPost TARIC finder website), called AnPost and they said wrong code used for the item. Great.

Whole package including other items went back to Japan and we got it resent by using exactly what was on AnPost website as item description and code, which is "Condiment Dispenser" import code 3924100020 (mind you, same code as first time, except we thought we named it to fit). But nope, they've rejected it again, and I'm assuming they think it a toy or not a dispenser.

How are they allowed to do this because they don't understand the purpose of the item? Must AnPost know how to use every item imported into Ireland? I'm at a loss.

This is the character

This is the item:

I've had to pay 100 quid for the first shipment, and 100 again to have it resent the second time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

I wonder if you use DHL, if it was available, would it arrive unscathed. They custom clear in Germany, then it arrives here as EU post. Sometimes. You must be a serious fan of that franchise to pony up €100 twice. We're back to the nanny state of the 50s and 60s, when all sorts was confiscated by a censorious postal service.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,117 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Had a parcel from uk in Customs jail for about 3 months, they were saying they could not read the description. Identical packages with identical contents were dispatched from same sender and recieved no problem to others in Ireland, all but mine. Absolute headache both sender and I trying to trace parcel to either forward or send it back, must have made about 20 calls. Eventually they released it and shook me down for about €60.

I will never, ever use An Post again, Mod: <snip> goes againt the charter. It really is the most retarded delivery company, North Korea probably has a better level of postal service.

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭poker2k9

Didn't think us fixing the description would still cause issues, as I was close to having her remove that particular item from the package.

An Post refused two packages of mine from Japan sent via airmail. They contained CDs.

Since then I have used Fedex for all Japanese orders. No issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dammij

I've had to go as far as telling sellers if they use a carrier that hands off to An Post,

I'll look elsewhere for the items I'm purchasing. I haven't had to do it yet! Most of Europe is leanring the reputation of An Post!

In fairness I've had great experiences with Address Pal (OK double tax and all that) but balance that against double price here in Ireland.

Both the UK and the USA are very helpful. If you're in any doubt about a purchase, forewarn them before you buy and they'll give great advice

about paperwork etc.

For items from Japan, I find BUYEE are very reliable. (and "Arksquare" for music.) Best of luck!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Do you think if I send a parcel (xmas gifts for my family) from USA to Ireland via fedex it will work okay?? Is that what you are saying?

**What does Fedex do differently from crazy old An Post that it goes okay??

• Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The An Post customs processing is now almost entirely automated so anything that doesn't meet the parameters of its workflow gets kicked out. With Fedex/DHL there are humans involved in the process so rejections are less likely. The customs clearance fee for An Post is a lot less that the fee charged by Fedex/DHL so you pays your money and takes your chances.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

FedEx clearance is usually done by a human, so they can look up TARIC, descriptions etc if required. An Post jumped the gun by a couple of years, looking for the information to be fed electronically to their system where they would not need to touch it. Unfortunately the postal system isn't as easily managed as one single company like FedEx, and this has resulted in a disaster for inbound parcels.

All I know is that if the carrier is Fedex (and to a lesser extent UPS & DHL) then nothing has been rejected for me. Whereas An Post have returned my packages to UK, US, Japan, Australia & Canada. Must be the human input. While the admin fee is higher, it’s worth it for the peace of mind.

An Post - 3.50

Fedex 15.00

UPS 18.50

UPS look for cash on doorstep whereas Fedex give you option of paying online prior to delivery OR you can wait for a paper invoice c.three weeks after delivery & pay then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Thanks guys! I think I will risk it via Fedex :)

Has anyone got an airmail package from Australia recently?

An Post returned two of mine in late 2021/ early 2022. Am wondering if should chance another order from there as I can't get the item (The Bill Series 9) anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭Shoog

It is standard for parcels to get stuck in customs for weeks, you will get no notification and no response to enquires.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭con747

You do know that post is nearly 2 and a half years old.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Yes, replacement sunglass lenses, unobtainium anywhere else. Originally returned by an post 2 years ago, got through this time. I paid the few € extra for tracked to Europe, then they were sent to Anpost but relabelled in the Netherlands as origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,801 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Had to vent, just had this happen to me this morning.

Parcel made it all the way from Switzerland to D12, had my full address, parcel weight, it's value, marked as a gift. Clear as day. Only down the road from where I live really.

Nope, back it goes to Switzerland as it's missing a Taric code.

Could they not just have some sort of form the receiver can fill in on the tracking page if a Taric code is missing. Surely it would take a couple of seconds and stop the utter waste of time with packages being sent back to sender?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

How do customs notify you of extra charges? I have a package from Ukraine that's showing as in Ireland but no movement for 6 days

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Normally a couple of days if its An Post. I find its usually a problem if there is no movement or contact for that long, so I'd ring them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,405 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I normally get a text from An Post. Be aware if you get a text about customs charges that claims to be from An Post that contains a link it is a scam. the real ones just contain a tracking number and tell you to go to the An Post website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

It depends on what the sender has included in the information they gave when sending it. You'll get an email or a text with a reference number and details/breakdown. No links though, they specifically don't include any links and tell you to go to the an post website directly or a post office. Otherwise you will get a letter with the reference number telling you to go their website or a post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭homer911

I'm tracking a parcel from China that included sending pre-clearance information to Irish customs. It cleared customs in 1 minute and is now languishing somewhere, I guess based on all the posts here I just need to sit tight. It does include a battery though, which makes me a bit nervous..

A battery should be no problem once it is in Ireland. Sending them out is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Not sure if this is the right place for this but something I ordered from Amazon (UK) was sent from China and seems to be sitting in limbo after clearing customs 5 days ago. Posting here as I think it's An Post doing the final leg of the journey (based on tracking number). Kinda stuck as it's a Christmas present but don't want to reorder and end up with 2 (or none!).

Should I be worried or does this seem normal for this time of year?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• just wondering what the usual time on receiving a letter or parcel from the north these days?

Had a document posted to me from Derry on Monday but no sign so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bit of a joke at this point I had two packages from the UK with irish vat and customs declaration from same shop. one came through and one ended up with a vat charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

My mother in law in Norway sent a calendar as a Christmas present in November, it has just been returned to sender with an An Post sticker stating “Failed electronic customs clearance” on it. What could have caused that? She has been sending a calendar every year for more than a decade without issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

A hs code/tariff code wasn't included when the post office took it off her and did up the postage/labels, or she didn't put it in if she did click and post.

49100000 - Calendars of any kind, printed, including calendar blocks

Advertisement