Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade options for current build

Options
  • 24-07-2021 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi Guys,

I am looking to make some upgrades to my current PC build. I do primarily use my PC for 1080p gaming on modern titles (Warzone, Cold War etc.). I am pushing my system with some of these titles and often am seeing my system usage hit 100% CPU and GPU usage, temps are fine and FPS primarily stays around 60 FPS. My FPS does begin to tank if I have any other apps running while gaming so i think its time to upgrade.

The system is 5 years old and I always said that I'd upgrade at the 5 year mark, unfortunately that did not turn out to be a good time to buy PC parts...

I am willing to spend 1500e on upgrading the system or building a new one. I think we can agree that buying a GPU within that budget is out of the question so I'm not too focused on that at the min and will keep using my current one for as long as I need to to get a new GPU at a fair price. My plan is to get either a RTX 3070 Ti or a RTX 3080 so getting the other parts of the system up to a similar spec is my current goal. I do want to get into 144hz gaming at a good resolution and good graphic settings.

I've been out of the loop for some time and it seems that AMD processors are the way to go. Would that be the best upgrade path?

My current build is as follows:

CPU: Intel i5 6600K

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

Motherboard: ASUS Z170-A Intel Skylake

RAM: HyperX FURY 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) 2133 MHz DDR4 CL14 & HyperX FURY DDR4 8 GB (Kit 2x4 GB), 2400 MHz CL15

GPU: GTX 980 Gaming 4G Graphics Card

Storage: 256 GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD (OS), 1 TB Crucial MX500 & 1 TB WD Blue hdd

PSU: Corsair TX750M

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

The GTX980 is still an OK card so hang onto it until GPU prices normalise.

Otherwise, get a B550M/X570 and a Ryzen 5800X with 16GB 3600mhz RAM is the best bet. Maybe consider a fast 1TB NVME as well. Quad core CPU's are dead at this stage and the 6600K struggles bad these days due to lack of hyper-threading compared to an i7 of the same gen.

Advertisement