Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying online for first time with debit card

• 25-07-2021 1:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

What debit card information do you need to buy items online from Amazon, for example?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mwv

The name on the card, 16 digit card number, expiry date and 3 digit cvv number on the back of the card.

I'm with KBC and I had to set a pin through my app that I enter to verify the transaction, as well as a code sent to my phone. Your bank may have some authentication process in place also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,011 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It very much depends on the card issuer, at a minimum the Full name on the card, Number & Expiry, generally delivery address must match the owner of the card albeit amazon generally allow an alternative delivery address. The other basic requirement is the 3 digit security code on the back of credit /debit cards.

The newest feature however is a 3rd verification process introduced recently requiring an additional verification process. So my own bank has an additional 6 digit pin required occasionally for online transactions and also my own bank will occasionally and Seperately send me an sms with code I must input to complete transaction. Every bank different.

So in essence unless its your card there are many layers of additional security checks so fully understanding them very important before proceeding also worth nothing that a new type of purchase, that is an unusual purchase from a merchant never used before May activate additional security verifications.

Amazon as a merchant are not the ones checking, it's card issuer (Bank) that is.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

All of the above. Plus your bank may require you to activate the card by first using it in an ATM. You don't have to withdraw cash, just ask for the balance to be displayed onscreen. You need a PIN to do this and you'll get that in a separate letter. That step is a security measure to prevent someone who intercepts your mail from using the card to make an online purchase. You'll probably also be asked to input the PIN the first time you use the card in contactless ('tap') mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭I am me123

I have previously withdrawn cash from ATM with card & paid contactless at shop till.

Is there much involved in signing up for Amazon or what details will I need for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Nothing to it. Just register as a user, then go into 'My Account', click on 'Your Payments' and add the card.

• Advertisement

Thanks a million 😊

Thanks a million 😊 Do you have a link to Ireland Amazon website?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geminiman63

It's the UK site we use here as far as I know as Amazon don't have an Irish website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,146 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When setting up your account with Amazon.co.uk they will at some stage give you an option to make payments in GBP or EUR, make sure you select GBP or you will be paying a poor exchange rate in EUR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,021 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This option will be given every time you make a purchase.

Always choose the currency of the site you are buying from, not your own currency.

• Advertisement
Advertisement