Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctor Who - Season 13 - (**Spoilers**)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Quite enjoyed that, still fear for the conclusion

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For anyone who didn't see, there was a mid credits sequence.

Anytime they have an Angels episode it makes them seem less of a threat. But I did still like the episode and am curious to see how it goes.

Overall I'm liking this season more than previous Whitaker ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I am linking this series more too, though I think it is more to do with the writing for this final few episodes rather than any reflection on Whitaker. I think she has suffered badly from Chibnal's writing and direction, which has improved a bit for his last hurrah.

The sound mix though has been way over the top since Chibnal took over, Murray Gold's sympathetic and appropriate accompaniment to the on screen activity has been replaced by over loud musical emphasis, even where it is not needed and sometimes (often) so driven that it drowns out the dialog or overwhelms the scene.

Overall, I think Chibnal tried to re-invent, where it was not needed and turned what was a well established and reasonably complex sci fi series that appealed both to children and adults, in to 'The Famous Five, travel through time'. His reign will go down as Doctor Who's 'Enid Blyton' influenced era.

I have high hopes that RTD will put it back on track and re-instate the elements that made it a unique adult and children appeal. It was always a generational crossover family viewing event, with a long running and often referenced history and it needs to go back to that having that focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

@Ger Roe Interesting you think that the music mix was better under Murray Gold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what was in the mid credits sequence? was it the bit with Bel and hologram or was there something I missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,475 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Usually I'd say

Timey Wimey, and Wibbly Wobbly.

But I'm not sure the current show runners would understand it.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Quite enjoyed that episode; was definitely the most familiar of this season with its Base Under Siege structure. Funny how the best Who stories are the ones that stick to the classic formula. One of the stronger Angels stories too, even if with each return they open further holes in the logic, and seem to be as threatening as the scene demands. But the thrills were carried off well, the once off characters decent and hard to find fault without really trying.

The Division stuff is a bit shoulder shrug inducing; hard to imagine what the Doctor is to them that might be so shocking given the entire universe is already currently fúcked. I've a feeling the Flux cloud, and our glam Big Bads will ultimately be nothing but red herrings.

Am liking Vinder and Bel; no actual scenes together yet, but both actors are very likeable and charismatic. I'm hoping the baby isn't what the speculation says it is, though at this stage it's hard to imagine what else it might be. And Bels strong Norn Iron accent is never not distracting lol 😆

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Episode 5 must have had Chibnall get 10 people to write an idea each, and then he just stuck them all together.

Absolute garbage.

There was certainly a lot of strands to that episode

At least we got to know more about Division

I dislike how they do the person turning around and music playing as if we're supposed to know who they are. Happened with the one in Division and the Snake dude, whose names I've forgotten already.

Speaking of snake dude, where did that storyline come from 1 episode from the end?

Did feel a bit like 12 episodes mixed together. Some decent plot lines that could have been more branched out by themselves. Special effects are good. But camera work is annoying as is the audio levels.

Like to also say, how strange it is to see this forum so quiet when a new season of Doctor Who is on.

Sad times.

All Eyes On Rafah

I will say one thing about Episode 5 though, it was Jodie's best performance in the role to date.

Pity she had nothing good to work with.

Does anybody on here think the show needs to go into hiatus ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Totally. But at least Russell T Davies is back so hopefully we will be getting good Doctor Who episodes again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The new series, when this current run ends, will have been running for 16 years. For comparison the original series ran for 26 solar cycles; Nu Who has already been on the air for more than half the classic iteration's lifespan. That's insane. But whereas that old show was very cheap, cheerful and utterly disposable - now it's a marketing juggernaut for a more global oriented BBC. It commands significant Location Shooting time, cross-media merchandising and licensing.

It's too big to fail, but also now too big to grow. Arguably. So it's kinda stuck now in this weird limbo of being both a kid's show, and for adults. You'll certainly never see a season like the Philip Hinchcliffe era of Who, when you had these violent, grim tales unafraid to splash a little blood on occasion (albeit a bit hokey now 'cos of the ropey FX); "bad publicity" from the pearl-clutchers like Mary Whitehouse doing wonders.

I hate to say it: but mayyyyybe, it ain't a hiatus the show needs. But some kind of reboot. I think once you start opening the doors on the Doctor's history, you're kinda admitting you've run out of narrative room with the show. The Doctor's past has always been this Point of No Return for the universe; the last mystery to be solved. I said it already but wouldn't be at all surprised if RTD did this; some timey-wimey that caused the universe to be reset, the show following a "new" 1st Doctor escaping Gallifrey for a new set of reasons.

Surprised Disney hasnt bought it yet. Added to the Marvel universe or something.

All Eyes On Rafah

Only watched episode 5 and suddenly my reboot idea feels ... more possible. All that talk of multiverses felt like a hint, even if "our" universe is imperilled. Either we see a big reset button (which nobody likes), or else some timey-wimey pulls the remainder of the universe into the new one.

It'd want to be some chunk of change for the BBC to sell it I'd say, assuming anyone has come calling in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The 1996 Paul McGann TV movie was outsourced with the plan to make the show over in Canada. Obviously plans fell through.

Makes sense given the IP was dirt at that point; only kept alive by the Virgin Media range of books and various young fans like Russell T Davies. Would love to know what the worth of the franchise would be now. Star Wars was bought for 4 billion IIRC?

What an utter disappointment!

Spend half the season on the Bel and Vinder storyline and it was all for nought

Flux has destroyed nearly all the universe including the daleks, cybermen etc and the Doctor just stops it at Earth using the matter of a few ships and that's it, tho going by the earlier conversation I thought it would be the laughable rewinding of it

So many other stupid things that there is too many to write here

Chibnall really is an awful storyteller

edit Reddit fuming about it, don't think there is a single positive comment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,490 ✭✭✭corkie

What happened with 'the Grand Serpent' in the end? Had an urgent call of nature so missed that bit.

Is it worth a re watch of the recording?

Did anything get revealed about Bel and Vinder's child? (Or are they saving that for specials?)

What, then, to make of Doctor Who: Flux? It’s a run that contains some of Chris Chibnall’s strongest episodes, but also one that shows a total disdain for picking up after itself. At times it feels like being on a roller-coaster – you’re supposed to enjoy the ride as you’re hurled this way and that, but once the journey is over, you’re not meant to brood over what you just experienced. And, in fairness, that’s precisely how most of Doctor Who’s audience will react: they’ll watch it once, they’ll laugh at the bit about Sontarans eating sweets and then, as soon as the credits roll, they’ll put something else on.

Me? I’ll still be sat here, livid, if Dan doesn’t get his Mum a replacement wok for Christmas.

Grand Serpent was made to walk thru one of the doors and ended up on a piece of rock in space

Bel and Vinder were nothing more than side characters

They seem to be copying the Tennant exit, with some foreboding and a few specials.

Will there be anything on par with Waters of Mars though ?

Judging by what I just watched,unlikely.

At least even Trial of a Timelord had some sense of a storyline running through it.

To be fair to Jodie, I don't think even Tom Baker could save those scripts.

So the entire universe including all of The Doctor's enemies but except Earth has been wiped out? Let's see how long that will last.

Spoiler for New Year's episode trailer:

Not long going by the appearance of the Daleks

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

I'm really confused by the whole flux impact on things.

It seems a lot of the universe was destroyed, but the flux was stopped when the doctor shot it with vortex engery. So most of the universe was saved? I guess that's why the division was gearing up to release another flux.

I have no idea where to began. I had a headache by the end of this esp. I figured she won't open the watch. Because that's easier than dealing with it. Why would a character spend so much looking for something then just throw it away?

They avoided romance for the Jodie run as the doctor, but they seem to be heading towards Doctor/Yas. I say go for it.

Noting made sense and noting really mattered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Yep I was also confused about the fact that she spent the whole series looking for answers about herself and then when she got them, threw them away. I wasn't really paying attention for the last 2 episodes to be honest so I can't say I fully understood everything, it all seemed terribly convoluted. Division created the flux to destroy the universe because the Doctor had poisoned it but they also sent the angels to kidnap her and bring her into the new universe? Were the Ravages just taking advantage of the whole situation? And the Grand Serpent, was he part of Division too? Or was he also just taking advantage?

I really liked Jericho.

Advertisement