Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof Rack Bike Damage

Options
  • 25-07-2021 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

I'm a clown and drove into a car park with an overhead bar that's used to keep out Camper Vans and the like and destroyed the bike holder, roof rack and obviously my bike :(

The rear of the bike seems ok, gears are working and no noticeable damage to frame or wheel. Front is different story though - frame (aluminium) "looks" ok along with gears and brakes are still working but fork is bent, handlebars bent, wheel bent.

Bike is an Orbea Vector Drop gravel bike and cost about €1500 approx 12 months ago. I know the correct answer is New Bike time but before I do that :) would anyone have any idea what the potential/ball park cost to repair the damage might be - I know without a picture it's difficult but based on the damage listed above?

I have an event on September 09 and unlikely to have a new bike before then so if a repair wasn't too expensive I could do that to keep me going. Or rent a bike for the day? Any advice appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,570 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Main question is whether the frame took any damage. If it was enough to do that much damage it wouldn't be surprising. Any sign of damage around or near the head tube?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

No, there doesn't seem to be. Fork is definitely bent as is front wheel and handlebar. Everything else seems to be ok and working but of course the frame may be bent slightly and I might not notice. So basically the bike is no more good, is that what you are telling me?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,570 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i can't tell you, i've not seen the frame!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Without seeing the damage, I would be considering a new frame and front wheel. I sold a Ridley Kanzo gravel frame for about 600€ earlier this year (and struggled to sell it at that). You could consider looking for something on adverts and donedeal and swapping over the components. It would be cheaper than a new bike for sure

Otherwise a new fork, front wheel and bars might work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

If the fork is bent then the frame definitely took some impact. I'd be worried about riding it to be honest. If you sourced a frame it sounds like just the front wheel, bars and possibly stem might be all you need.

• Advertisement

i've been in a slightly different situation, where after an impact the fork seemed fine but the frame crumpled.

that said, i didn't examine the fork too closely, as i just had to buy a new frame. the front wheel was fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

New full carbon fork, bars and front wheel can be sourced for around €250 if you know where to look and are not worried about mismatching parts.

If you want to replace the parts “like-for-like” then you’ll (most likely) need to go to Orbea for a new fork and potentially wheel and bars (if bike was supplied with Orbea own-brand equipment).

I’d estimate €5-700 for that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Commiserations. I too have been that clown :(.

Any change Orbea do crash replacement on frames or anything like that? -Personally I wouldn't be riding a frame that had been impacted or bent like that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've had a fork bend.and frame been completely undamaged from impact.

Steel frame and fork though so not exactly like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

Yes with steel you can inspect the down tube and top tube near the junction with the head tube. Cracked paint or wrinkles in the tubing would be indicative of damage and it may or may not be ok to ride on.

With Alu I’m not sure what the story is. It’s not as flexible as steel and more prone to fracture I believe. I’d try to have a frame builder assess it but I doubt they can offer any guarantees either. It’s your risk at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭davegilly

Thanks all. Rang bike shop and will be dropping it in tomorrow for a look. Biggest problem looks to be sourcing a new fork due to availability.

Advertisement