Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mercedes sunroof stuck open (well 90% closed)

• 25-07-2021 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭

I own a 2001 Mercedes C200 Kompressor 2.0l for about 2 years now. Don't use it much, realy just for weekend spins

With the sun I decided to try the sunroof which I never used before. There are two parts, a "fabric" (not sure how to describe) black section inside the car which moves first and then the glass which is exterior. When you close it's the opposite the exterior glass closes and then the black fabric part inside the car.

Opening is no problem, opens perfectly. When you close the outside glass you can hear the motor straining and struggling and it gets to 90% and stops. I tried lots and lots and could not get the glass to close. It opens fine but when you try to close you hear the motor straining and it stops

I don't a garage and it's parked up in a park and ride out of any rain. 90% is closed but I must fix this.

Internet searches tell me Mercedes sunroofs must be lubricated. I am a noob and never knew this. Would a good cleaning following by some silicone lubricant along the tracks/rails give the motor enough to close it fully?

Thanks so much :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,855 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there any debris or moss build up from it being parked near trees? Could be worth clearing the rubber seals down with the likes of Autoglym Vinyl and Rubber Care, then add lubricant. An old toothbrush can be good for clearing out dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

OP here, if I can just close this off

On closer inspection there was old grease and also some dried dirt along the rail/track. Some small leaves also.

With a dab of water and a rag and a toothbrush I cleaned and dried it

I got a spray can of silicone lubricant and applied that and opened and closed the sunroof a few times

Issue resolved, thanks so much for the reply :)

Advertisement